Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need a crash course in things to do in San Diego!

NoCalMike

Well, kind of a last minute mini-trip down south from me to San Diego. Leaving tomorrow night, will be there through either Monday or Tuesday morning.

I don't know exactly where I am staying, but it isn't far from Morley Field, cause I will be disc golfing there sometime during the trip.

Basically looking for some unique places to grab some grub, hang out, cool beach areas etc....not looking for fine dining or anything, on too tight of a budget for that, mostly just hole in the wall type places San Diego call their own. Something I can't find spread all over the rest of California.

OH also, since UFC is this saturday, and it aint worth buying, any cool sportsbars in the area that show the fights, would be a great thing to add to my list too...

SEBOWSKI, I am looking in your direction. Don't leave me hanging bro. I told you I would make it down there eventually.....now I just need to go back when 'Skins come there!

:ols:

Downtown and inland San Diego is kind of a yawn as far as cities go, but the beach areas are pretty damn fantastic.

Go to La Jolla and Del Mar for the rich people. Go to Coronado and hang out at the Hotel Del. Go to Pacific Beach and Mission Beach to get a real Cali beach town vibe. They all rock.

Also, the Zoo really is spectacular, but I hate Sea World.

only brought it up because San Diego is naturally air conditioned to be the perfect temperature 24/7 365

Yep, as long as you are within a few miles of the ocean its fantastic. Of course, much of the city is an endless inland sprawl, and it gets hotter out there.

Skip the Hotel Del Coronado. It's overhyped, overpriced and over-rated.

If you have the time you can walk over to Mexico, take in some skanky bars with even skankier women. Live dangerously and have a roadside taco and buy some dirt cheeeep merchandise. Prescription drugs for cheap? Just hide them when you come back over.

Also, Petco Park where the Padres play is a sweet place to take in a ballgame.

The SD Hilton Bayfront is a great place to stay. It is the same price as any other hotel or motel and has a sports bar and hot tub and lots of cool stuff plus it is walking distance to Gaslamp district where there are many things to do.

In all seriousness, I was there for a conference a few years ago. My wife and I went to the art museum in Balboa Park, which was having an utterly fantastic Annie Leibowitz exhibit at the time. After that, we took a bike taxi to the Gaslight Distric and had sushi at what is probably the best sushi joint I've ever been to. I can't remember the name for the life of me but we ate there two nights in a row.

Do you want a cool place to relax with a great view of downtown's skyline? Try the Il Fornaio restaurant (Italian) that sits southwest of Downtown and looks across the water at it. Great view to sip and relax a glass of wine or beer and the food is outstanding. Point Loma is also a cool vantage point, during the day time hours, to catch a cool view of the harbor entrance as well as the military's planes coming and going. It also has some cool historical info and has bunkers that were created as anti-aircraft posts in the wake of Pearl Harbor.

Well, kind of a last minute mini-trip down south from me to San Diego. Leaving tomorrow night, will be there through either Monday or Tuesday morning.

I don't know exactly where I am staying, but it isn't far from Morley Field, cause I will be disc golfing there sometime during the trip.

Basically looking for some unique places to grab some grub, hang out, cool beach areas etc....not looking for fine dining or anything, on too tight of a budget for that, mostly just hole in the wall type places San Diego call their own. Something I can't find spread all over the rest of California.

OH also, since UFC is this saturday, and it aint worth buying, any cool sportsbars in the area that show the fights, would be a great thing to add to my list too...

SEBOWSKI, I am looking in your direction. Don't leave me hanging bro. I told you I would make it down there eventually.....now I just need to go back when 'Skins come there!

:ols:

What's up! About time you're making it down. PM on the way.

If you love craft beer you are in the best city in the world for it. Here is a map I made for a friend who was visiting.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104303528993091729129.000480fd9a335ee1237c3&z=11

Check out PB (Pacific Beach) if you like the Spring Break crowd. Check out OB (Ocean Beach) if you like the local crowd and don't mind a bum or two.

Sorry about the weather.:ols:That's why they call it June Gloom.

Archived