Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Perfect Game or not?

USS Redskins

While it blows that he did not get the perfect game. The umpire is human and therefore is prone to make mistakes. That's part of the game. No umpire has the exact same strike zone and pitchers/hitters actually study the umps to get an edge on tendancies.( does this ump call high or low strikes, inside or outside)

I don't agree totally with the poster that stated we need to mechanize or automate the game. The human element is a part of the game, although some sort of replay could be helpful.

It was very classy from the ump to admit the error, and the pitcher acted honorably. It sucks that the call was not reversed, but I can understand why Selig took no action.

regardless of the stats in the books, I'd think this game warrants a display in the Hall mainly out of the class shown and the story behind it.

I would go for something like that. It is a good lesson for kids and adults. Somebody made a crucial mistake, he apologized the other person accepted and they are moving on.

regardless of the stats in the books, I'd think this game warrants a display in the Hall mainly out of the class shown and the story behind it.

This game may become a landmark game because of the fact that this game better be a main reason why baseball needs instant replay. As stated earlier by others earlier baseball NEEDS instant replay and the excuse of the umpires being human and making mistakes is a complete and utter joke. If Selig refuses to do instant replay this will only solidify how and why he is by far the worst commissioner in all of the major professional sport leagues.

We have the technology with multiple TV angles and wireless communication so there can be a 5th umpire during the regular season and I believe 7th umpire during post season who can be up in a booth with a TV to review every play and if a call was blown then he can radio down to the officials to let them know a call has been blown and to correct the call.

This will not slow a game down, in fact this will speed up a game, no longer will managers be able to come out of the dugout to argue a blown call (except balls and strikes, which can't be reviewed), and the entire umpire crew does not have to go into the stadium to review a questionable call and take 10 minutes to go inside and come back out to give the results of the review. The review of the play and correct call can be made from upstairs within 20 to 30 seconds and the baseball as a sport will be much better off from instant replay.

The point is that is NOT a perfect game by the rules. The rules say the Umps call is right regardless of what the video camera says.

Maybe it's from umping baseball back in HS but mistakes get made sometimes but that has to be accepted by both teams. To eliminate the human error of reffing they need to play well enough and beyond so that it isn't such a close call.

Such a ignorant post. The call was not that close. They are PROFESSIONAL umpires or so many think. It was a incredible brain fart by the ump. How many f-ups do we need to see that the "human element" ie read incompetent umpires affect way to many games. Selig didn't do the right thing IMO. The game was over according to the "rules" but the umpire, as history has shown, was grossly incompetent in his "ruling". Why baseball allows for obviously wrong info into their history books is beyond me. Selig is a joke of a commissioner.

If Selig decided to rule it a perfect game, he'd have to verify that all called strikeouts were indeed correct since a perfect game is on the line. The way it is already, with two perfect games this season, I'd have to say the pitchers are getting balls called strikes more often than missed calls at first.

Such a ignorant post. The call was not that close. They are PROFESSIONAL umpires or so many think. It was a incredible brain fart by the ump. How many f-ups do we need to see that the "human element" ie read incompetent umpires affect way to many games. Selig didn't do the right thing IMO. The game was over according to the "rules" but the umpire, as history has shown, was grossly incompetent in his "ruling". Why baseball allows for obviously wrong info into their history books is beyond me. Selig is a joke of a commissioner.

Calm down, bro. You can't overturn something like this. Because it opens a pandora's box. You reverse this, then every one and their brother will be pushing for other calls to be changed. And their have been other horrible calls in the past. Probably not to this degree, but still calls that seriously affected records, or even the outcomes of games. Selig has been a joke. But in this instance, he got it right

Like someone else posted, there should probably be a place in the hall to recognize achievements like this, even though they aren't "official".

Absolutely not on the call change, as much as it sucks. You change that call, and suddenly everyone wants to go back and change calls. Three games ago, the Nats got screwed on a check-swing third strike, the next pitch Lance Berkman drove the ball to left for the winning run in the 9th. Washington could start yelling that Berkman should be retroactively considered a strike out, the hit never happens, Capps gets the save, etc.

It's a dangerous precedent to set, and as unfortunate as it is, the call can't be changed.

That is a horrible analogy. A runner either beat the throw or didn't. It's not subjective like balls and strikes.

That is a horrible analogy. A runner either beat the throw or didn't. It's not subjective like balls and strikes.

So every double play needs to be reviewed to make sure the fielder had the ball in his glove at the exact second his foot touched the bad?

Isn't the strike zone clearly defined as:

1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.

1988 - "The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

That is not subjective at all. Looks cut and dry to me. Unless you are saying that the actual call by the umpire is what you are saying is subjective. In which case how can you argue that a play at a base is black and white but a strike/ball is not.

So every double play needs to be reviewed to make sure the fielder had the ball in his glove at the exact second his foot touched the bad?

Oh man, just imagine if MLB goes to instant replay on situations at the bases. May as well challenge every double play. The second Jeter or Pedroia gets creamed with a hard slide, they'll wish they kept the "vicinity" unwritten rule.

I just won't want MLB to go to the NFL land of replay suck.

Isn't the strike zone clearly defined as:

1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.

1988 - "The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

That is not subjective at all. Looks cut and dry to me. Unless you are saying that the actual call by the umpire is what you are saying is subjective. In which case how can you argue that a play at a base is black and white but a strike/ball is not.

But it is widely accepted that every umpire has a different strike zone that is generally within the knees to the shoulders.

A runner either beat the throw or didn't.

And I thought they gave them leeway with that at second base to protect from cleats to the ankles?

I can see the argument both ways however.

But it is widely accepted that every umpire has a different strike zone that is generally within the knees to the shoulders.

A runner either beat the throw or didn't.

And I thought they gave them leeway with that at second base to protect from cleats to the ankles?

I can see the argument both ways however.

Isn't it also widely accepted that the tie goes to the runner? In reality there never really is a tie.

What about a check swing. That is a yes or no issue. Same with a balk.

I guess my thing is replay is great and all for taking the human element out of the game but it is the human element in the game that makes it.

Football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, etc. wouldn't be the same if everything was black and white. It is the gray that we love to argue about.

Isn't it also widely accepted that the tie goes to the runner? In reality there never really is a tie.

What about a check swing. That is a yes or no issue. Same with a balk.

I guess my thing is replay is great and all for taking the human element out of the game but it is the human element in the game that makes it.

Football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, etc. wouldn't be the same if everything was black and white. It is the gray that we love to argue about.

So you're saying missed calls make the game fun? Uhh, no. It's just that there really is no great determining factor in baseball of what can and cannot be reviewed. In hockey, all you worry about are goals which either fully crossed the line or didn't. You certainly wouldn't want missed goals called as part of the human element...

Archived