Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Hope Bigger Is Better On Defensive Line

flexxskins

By Larry Weisman

Redskins.com

Posted: June 1, 2010

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Hope_Bigger_Is_Better_On_Defensive_Line_121713.jsp

You know the TV show, “Two and a Half Men?” That title could describe each of the Redskins’ defensive linemen.

They are size guys. Large and (hopefully) in charge. Hulky and bulky.

In switching from a 4-3 front to a 3-4, the Redskins decided that XL needed at least another X or two. They added some bigger folks but also asked others to alter the composition of their bodies.

If bigger is better, the Redskins will be better. No question they’re bigger.

“In a 4-3, you want penetrators up front. In a 3-4, there’s three defensive linemen and we’re two-gapping and you need bigger guys to do that,” says Adam Carriker, the defensive end acquired in a trade with the St. Louis Rams.

The two-gap scheme gives the defensive linemen twin responsibilities. They must tie up two areas and blockers, rather than shoot through to make plays. Size matters.

The common nickname for these brontos around the NFL is “space eaters.” That’s not all they must consume to maintain proper tonnage.

Carriker came to the Redskins weighing 298 pounds. He’s up to 311. He prefers the 3-4 to the 4-3 because it suits carrying more girth.

“In St. Louis, I was trying to lose weight because I was in a 4-3,” he says. “For me, it’s tough to lose weight.”

Carriker doesn’t categorize himself as one of those quick guys who get up the field with a lightning release. He’s more of an occupier, a presence who holds the point of attack.

“I’m 6-6, and my body type is prototypical 3-4 end,” he says.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

Talk about change. Taking all of our old DL and making them lose weight to play LB, and taking our new DL and making them add weight :ols:

Hopefully it pays off. Obviously stuffing the run is very important to Haslett. Occupying those OL will give our rush OLB's and ILB's the space they need to make plays. I like it.

Occupying those OL will give our rush OLB's and ILB's the space they need to make plays. I like it.

It was posted a few days ago, I think in the "Meet Maake Kemoeatu" thread, where he said that he doesn't care about how many tackles/sacks he gets, but that his job was to make sure his guy didn't get to the linebackers so they could make the play. I think his exact words were "If the linebacker gets the sack, I consider that a sack for me, too."

That's the perfect attitude for our linemen to have.

It was posted a few days ago, I think in the "Meet Maake Kemoeatu" thread, where he said that he doesn't care about how many tackles/sacks he gets, but that his job was to make sure his guy didn't get to the linebackers so they could make the play. I think his exact words were "If the linebacker gets the sack, I consider that a sack for me, too."

Heck ya that is!..... I hope he has a healthy season with us this year!

I wonder who gets more playing time Daniels or Carriker????.... I'm a summing that AH is getting the starting role at DE sometime b4 the start of the season.....

My gut thought is that Carriker will get more time and it won't be close.

My expectations may be too high of the guy, but he's set up to succeed; he'll be playing the position he should've been playing all along and the extra weight should help his durability. I think we'll get this guy's full potential.

I think our week 1 defensive line looks like:

DE: Haynesworth

NT: Kemoeatu

DE: Carriker

Not sure about the backups, but I'd imagine we'll keep Golston and Daniels. After that, it's a crapshoot...

My gut thought is that Carriker will get more time and it won't be close.

My expectations may be too high of the guy, but he's set up to succeed; he'll be playing the position he should've been playing all along and the extra weight should help his durability. I think we'll get this guy's full potential.

I think our week 1 defensive line looks like:

DE: Haynesworth

NT: Kemoeatu

DE: Carriker

Not sure about the backups, but I'd imagine we'll keep Golston and Daniels. After that, it's a crapshoot...

Talk about a ton of humanity. I just hope they do their jobs well or teams will run on us all day.

As long as AH comes in around 320 that would be great. Carriker at 310 and Makee at 340+. That would be a solid starting three on the DL.

Whatever he weighs, it may not be for the Redskins when he suits up. Hopefully I'm wrong and things get worked out with him.

That it is. It seems like every player they've brought in so far has that type of team mindset. That's how you manually change the culture at Redskins park, for sure, along with smart FO choices.

Carriker is looking like highway robbery.

I agree. If he stays healthy and plays the position he was meant to play, which he will, I think swapping that pick for him will be looked back on as one of the first great moves of Allen.

And it also shows that Allen can listen to his coaches, and go out and get what they want at the right price. Because you know he's Haslett's guy.

There is no way i see AH at 320...... maybe 340
^^^^^.............. maybe even 335....
Whatever he weighs, it may not be for the Redskins when he suits up. Hopefully I'm wrong and things get worked out with him.

I know, I'm just trying to keep a positive spin on the situation. I was thinking 340 also, but you never know.

Our line looks very good im worried about LB though.

We have a small undersized middle linebacker and an outside linebacker who was horrible in the 3-4.

Carter was not a good OLB in SFO's implementation but he was NOT horrible.

Our MLB is FAR from undersized.

Yes but he is in a 3-4 now. Hopefully he will over achive like he always does. Rocky also worries me too.

Why? Rocky is just about optimum size for the role. Fletch, while shorter than ideal to deal with the pass, is about perfect size for a 3-4 MACK when it comes to the run.

Too early to get too high or low about the 3-4 but so far......

1. From a size standpoint, our front 7 personnel are massive. The starters are big, the backups are big. The new OLBs (Alexander and Carter) are enormous upgrades in size, as are Kemo and Carriker (and the 900 backup linemen we signed for depth. Daniels and AH have always been big and strong for whatever position they played on the line. We are bigger (way bigger at some positions) than either Pittsburgh or Green Bay (the teams Haslett brings up as the nearest relatives to the defense he will be running).

2. MLBs in the 3-4 are tacklers and wrapper-uppers. Fletcher will excel with the smaller box of responsibility and bigger dudes up front. Blades now has a position instead of being a tweener. He was born to play 3-4 ILB. The questions will be Macintosh from an injury standpoint, and the rookie (but he should definitely start the season fourth on the depth chart). I see the ILB position in a 3-4 as easier to play (from a physical perspective) than the MLB in a 4-3. (The 3-4 arguably has lengthened Ray Lewis's career).

3. The difficulty of switching defensive schemes is overrated. The Patriots and the Jets and the Dolphins and the Ravens and the Steelers and several other teams show lots of different fronts in every game every year. Talent matters more than scheme. Size and strength and speed matters more than whether someone has lined up in the 2 or 3 gaps before.

4. A team that will possibly have AH, Orakpo, Carriker, Kemo, and Carter at the line of scrimmage on a consistent basis presents way more problems for opposing offenses than it does for some objective concern about what a chalkboard 3-4 is supposed to look like on paper. Size has the potential to cover up for some supposed weakness in scheme or experience. Think of Buffalo's defense in the late 90s/early 2000s - they weren't fast or quick or young but they were big and good. Think of the Cowgirls offensive line - no real superstars and some overrated talent - but they are big and strong, and in football big is big.

And if Landry keeps pounding up, you could put him there too...;)

Actually, the secondary, right now anyway, does not look so good against a 3 or 4 wide out setup. Hope those big dudes up front can get in there quick.

NO the big dudes up front tie the guys up then Carter and Orakpo get in there and destroy the play, run or pass.

Archived