Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Inclusive Resorts / Honeymoon Advice?

santana_4_prez

I apologize if there is a thread on this already, but I tried several searches and could not find anything.

I'm getting married in March, and I've already started dreaming about my honeymoon. My fiance and I love beaches, and we like to drink a decent amount, so we thought an all inclusive resort would be the way to go.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what beach/country/resort to go to? And do you have any advice as to which website to use?

I have been to Negril, Jamaica before and really enjoyed my time. I wouldn't mind trying something else this time around.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

My wife and I were "travelers" before we got married. Backpacking through europe and that kind of thing but after we got married we seemed to shift gears. Our honeymoon and last vacation were spent at all inclusives in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico and Aruba, respectively.

We loved the Riviera Maya/Yucatan Peninsula. The accomodations, food, bar and staff were top notch. The beach itself wasn't great because of previous hurricanes but didn't really matter. The beaches in Aruba were excellent but the all inclusive wasn't all that great (food and room-wise).

The all inclusive turned out to be the perfect fit for our honeymoon because it had been a very busy time leading up to it that we just welcomed doing nothing and being waited on hand and foot. Didn't worry about when and where to get breakfast, bringing cash, etc. We now joke that all-inclusives are adult summer camps.

Just be careful which one you pick though, because different resorts cater to different groups (singles vs couples vs family oriented). tripadvisor.com is a good resource for getting background info on the place.

My wife and I went to a Bacelo resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico for our honeymoon and loved it. Very relaxing, booze was plentiful, resort was nice, and Playa Del Carmen was a 20 minute cab ride away when we needed to get off the resort for a bit.

My best advice would be look for a place where you can eat in a restaurant almost every night, not just the buffet. For as nice as the hotel where we stayed was, for a 7 night trip we were only given 3 meals in a restaurant. The restaurant food was GREAT, but the buffet was just OK for dinner.

My wife and I went to a Bacelo resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico for our honeymoon and loved it. Very relaxing, booze was plentiful, resort was nice, and Playa Del Carmen was a 20 minute cab ride away when we needed to get off the resort for a bit.

My best advice would be look for a place where you can eat in a restaurant almost every night, not just the buffet. For as nice as the hotel where we stayed was, for a 7 night trip we were only given 3 meals in a restaurant. The restaurant food was GREAT, but the buffet was just OK for dinner.

I stayed at Barcelo as well this past January. It was fabulous.

The advice for dinners is this. Go to the concierge right after you check in and book as many dinners as you can get. After that, have a few twenties in your hand and go to the actual restaurants you want towards the end of the night (so you have drinks and an appatizer at the buffet restaurants (really not buffets, very nice) and head to the dinner restaurant around 830. Grease the palms, get right in.

Just got back from cliff-diving at Rick's in Negril this weekend.

Sandals gets good reviews. I would suggest Sandals on Paradise Island, Bahamas.

You are right across the street from the one and only beach club.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147417-d151479-Reviews-Paradise_Island_Beach_Club-Paradise_Island_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

Also, I would consider St. Martin. Paradise.

I would recommend Sandals Resort very nice resort and the service is really good.

Sandals White House in Jamaica is great for the all-inclusive thing. I've been told it is the best of the Sandals resorts by several travel people and would be inclined to believe them.

Congratulations by-the-way.

I have done about 15 all inclusive in the Caribbean

Best so far is Secrets Capri in the Riviera Cancun.

http://www.secretsresorts.com/capri/index.asp

I recommended this to a friend of ours for their honeymoon and they loved it.

I could give you tons of details that make is stand out, but our favorite by far was that you did not have to book reservations for your meals a day or two in advance.

I have done about 15 all inclusive in the Caribbean

Best so far is Secrets Capri in the Riviera Cancun.

http://www.secretsresorts.com/capri/index.asp

I recommended this to a friend of ours for their honeymoon and they loved it.

I could give you tons of details that make is stand out, but our favorite by far was that you did not have to book reservations for your meals a day or two in advance.

Agreed. Secrets Capri was my first choice but it's pricey. Couldn't swing it right after dropping serious cash on a wedding.

If you're adventurous, check out Costa Rica. I didn't go all inclusive but for the price of our package, I had plenty of cash to spend while we were there. We went horseback riding to an active volcano, bathing in the hot springs, deep sea fishing, zipline through the canopy, 4 wheeling through the jungle, white water rafting and bungee jumping from a 260 ft bridge, all in one week. Plus we toured the coffee plantation and still had plenty of time to relax by the pool/beach.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck down there. Just google Costa Rica honeymoon.

St. Lucia is heaven. Volcanic Waterfalls, Peton Mountains, snorkeling and diving , deep sea fishing, atv's, you name it, St. Lucia has it. Went in January, and Im going again in a month. Best time of my life!

What resort?

Sandals has two resorts, one on each end of the island. If you wanted to go a more local route to soak up the culture and not so much the touristy thing, then look at the Pelican House, St. Lucia (google it). Its not a resort, its my father in laws place he rents out. It has a maid and porter, but its tucked away in Marigot bay and and if money is not an option and you want a top notch resort look at Ladera, Jade Mountain, or Discovery. The last three resorts are crazy silly, Discovery would be the most affordable, and I got to sit with a professional poker player watching the playoffs at the bar at discovery. I also got to sit with an ex O-lineman for Archie Manning during the Saints/Vikes game at the bar of the club right under Pelican House, last jan. The poker player I was talking to was a slightly older (not old) gentleman, looked Italian, but his last name didn't sound it. Farza, or something like that. Anyways, the bottom line is that you cant go wrong in St. Lucia, it is purely heaven.

Good thread . . . . . because I am getting married next July and need the same advice.

Here is my problem - the only time we can probably take a honeymoon is in August. Where would be good to go in August for a honeymoon?

I am leaning towards Costa Rica - but I am concerned about the rain.

Archived