Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Tournament: Greatest Athletes in American Cities (Los Angeles-New Orleans) (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

LA - Magic. No one ever owned a town the way Magic owned LA.

Minn - Tarkenton or Puckett. Tough call. Going with Tark.

Milwaukee - Not much to go with. Robin Yount, I guess.

Miami - Marino.

New Orleans - It was Archie Manning until about 3 months ago. Now it's Brees.

Hank Aaron could win 2 cities. Alot of his playing time was spent in Milwaukee and we all know about his numbers. Kareem is a good choice, but when you say Kareem, most people think of LA and not Milwaukee.

I thought Marino and Brees were no brainers. Brees finally brought them a Super Bowl and now the Saints are perennial contenders.

LA - Gretzky was still disgusting when he joined L.A. but he'll be remembered for Edmonton. Magic wins easily. 42,15,7. End of story.

Minnesota - Killabrew edges out Carter and Tarkenton then Puckett.

Milwauke - Aaron wins because he stayed in Milwaukee longer than Kareem.

Miami - Marino. No brainer.

New Orleans - With the SB win it's Brees edging out Pistol Pete and Manning.

Milwaukee not much to go with? 3,000 hit member, HR king, Kareem?

I don't associate Kareem with Milwaukee as much as with LA, and I already voted for Aaron in Atlanta. Guys who play half their career in one place and half in another are difficult.

I try to find the single guy who is both 1) an alltime great and 2) an icon of the city, especially one who played there during a golden age of that city's sports. The guy that you see in a picture hanging on the wall of the dusty old downtown bars.

It's hard to do with Milwaukee, but I think Yount is the closest thing they have. :whoknows:

Everybody likes nostalgia of our childhood, but Kobe is much better than Magic ever was.

I don't know better, but different. Magic was a point guard and did more dishing than shooting.

His career numbers: 11.1 assists per game, and 19.5 points per game.

Kobe's career numbers: 4.7 assists per game, and 25.3 points per game.

If you assume each assist is worth 2 points then that's equivalent to 41.7 points of production for Magic and 35.7 for Kobe.

They both hold various NBA records, but to my point about dishing vs. shooting I'll note this: Johnson shares the single-game playoff record for assists (24), holds the Finals record for assists in a game (21), and has the most playoff assists (2,346).He holds the All-Star Game single-game record for assists (22), and the All-Star Game record for career assists (127).

Fellow Lakers guard Michael Cooper said, "There have been times when [Johnson] has thrown passes and I wasn't sure where he was going. Then one of our guys catches the ball and scores, and I run back up the floor convinced that he must've thrown it through somebody."

BTW, he's got 5 rings to Kobe's 4, and 3 NBA Finals MVPs to Kobe's 1, and 3 NBA MVPs to Kobe's 1.

Everybody likes nostalgia of our childhood, but Kobe is much better than Magic ever was.

Maybe in a few more years you can say that. Not yet (and China explained why).

"Much better" presumes a clear overall career superiority that Kobe has yet to achieve. But I do admit that he has a chance to achieve it.

I don't know better, but different. Magic was a point guard and did more dishing than shooting.

His career numbers: 11.1 assists per game, and 19.5 points per game.

Kobe's career numbers: 4.7 assists per game, and 25.3 points per game.

If you assume each assist is worth 2 points then that's equivalent to 41.7 points of production for Magic and 35.7 for Kobe.

They both hold various NBA records, but to my point about dishing vs. shooting I'll note this: Johnson shares the single-game playoff record for assists (24), holds the Finals record for assists in a game (21), and has the most playoff assists (2,346).He holds the All-Star Game single-game record for assists (22), and the All-Star Game record for career assists (127).

Fellow Lakers guard Michael Cooper said, "There have been times when [Johnson] has thrown passes and I wasn't sure where he was going. Then one of our guys catches the ball and scores, and I run back up the floor convinced that he must've thrown it through somebody."

BTW, he's got 5 rings to Kobe's 4, and 3 NBA Finals MVPs to Kobe's 1, and 3 NBA MVPs to Kobe's 1.

Also rebounds - Magic 7.2 per game, Kobe 5.3. Field goal percentage: Magic 52% (!), Kobe 45%.

Archived