Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Orakpo likely to increase sack total

Dirk Diggler

Which Parent-Child relationship tends to be the worst?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Parent-Child relationship tends to be the worst?

• Mom-Daughter
    • Mom-Son
    • Father-Son
    • Father-Daughter

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/16/orakpo-likely-to-increase-sack-total

• New Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett recently said that OLB Brian Orakpo, who led all rookies last season with 11 sacks, could be even better in this year's defense. Haslett estimated that Orakpo rushed the passer around 200 plays last season but that he would be doing that "600 to 700" plays this season.

Yeah, I've heard this a few times before...

I hope it's true. I'm not sure that our defense is going to be top 5 or anything like that, but I think we're definitely going to get a lot of pressure and create turnovers; both of which we've lacked for a while.

In all honesty, I used to be jealous that the Cowboys had a guy llike DeMarcus Ware, but I think we've found something even better in Rak. Good job, Vinny LOL

I refuse to buy into this talk about Rakpo getting more sakcs then next year because he will rush the qb more. Maybe if Haslet said he will get more sacks because he will have his hand in the dirt at all times, maybe then i would believe it. I'm just not 100 percent confident that Rakpo can be a gud 3-4 OLB and I,m sure in his second year he will improve, but Im going to have to see it on the field first.

I refuse to buy into this talk about Rakpo getting more sakcs then next year because he will rush the qb more. Maybe if Haslet said he will get more sacks because he will have his hand in the dirt at all times, maybe then i would believe it. I'm just not 100 percent confident that Rakpo can be a gud 3-4 OLB and I,m sure in his second year he will improve, but Im going to have to see it on the field first.

The thing with that is this: he played a very similar role as a 4-3 backer last year but dropped back into coverage MUCH more often than he will this year. Yes, he got most of his sacks with his hand in the dirt last year, but his role this year will be really similar because he'll be lining up much closer to the LOS than he did last year.

Not saying he's going to be a 15 sack guy this year, but if he can do what he did last year while playing 4-3 backer, I think he can do much more playing in the 3-4 where linebackers are called on to pass rush much more.

I'm excited to see what he'll bring because of how similar he is to guys like Harrison and Ware. We'll see if he can do it.

As far as pass coverage goes... yes he's not a good OLB... but as far as pass RUSHING goes.... he's probably even more dangerous as an OLB than a DE just because he's going to have a full head of steam (more speed) when he hits the line of scrimmage... plus the DL will take care of most of the OL... which gives Orakpo a pretty straight line to the QB.

And haha yeah you misspelled good

This 600-700 rushes number is odd to me

For him to "rush" 600 times, that means teams will need to attempt 37.5 passes per game.

Seems awful high doesn't it?

I guess it must mean that he was sent to either run blitz or rush the passer 200 times last year, as opposed to 600 times this year. The other times he must have been responsible for dropping back into coverage, and THEN read/react if it's a running play.

I think that number means what was intended of him pre-snap, rather than what happened during the play. Thus he can be called to "rush" even on a running play. At least that's what would make sense, given the 37.5 dropbacks you mentioned.

I actually don't think he'll get as many sacks mostly because I don't think we will be stout against the run and thus don't think we will make 3rd and longs. I don't think we have the personnel at linebacker to stop teams against the run.

In the 3-4 guys get to the second level much faster and more often, and our inside backers are undersized for shedding of blockers. Fletch is beast, but I often see him making plays after 3-5 yard runs, never stopping guys cold at the LOS. I think we will be too weak against the run this year as a 3-4 to truly allow for that many sacks.

For him to "rush" 600 times, that means teams will need to attempt 37.5 passes per game.

It has to include run blitzes as well or else you're right that number is way out of whack. Maybe we're expecting to have such a dominant run D teams don't even bother? :ols:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/statistics?team=WAS

Our opponents in 2009 only had 511 pass attempts all last season.

However, I don't believe he's implying that he will be rushing on "pass" attempts.

Orakpo will be the 4th man on the line.... and he'll be rushing nearly every down. The difference being.... he won't be confined to a particular part of the field like he would be as a down lineman.

He's going to be able to read down-and-distance, keys, formation, etc... and ultimately choose where he will attack from.

Sounds great... because he can be a really disruptive force.

The downfall is that it also lends itself to being caught out of position and leaving vulnerabilities (ie. big plays).

I will take Orakpo with 0 sacks and a good defense over Orakpo with 15 and a bad defense. Its nice to hype up individuals but that didnt exactly help this team last year. I'll take a winning season over a new DC who tells us one player may have good stats any day of the week.

I think that Rak will have a big year this season, despite the sophomore slump. I think him lining up behind next to AH, who will be coming of the edge himself, is going to give him a lot of mismatches against RBs. I'm not saying that Rak is going to get 20 sacks this season, but I can see him getting 15.

I forgot I was on ES for a second. People here always complain when I write "improperly".

Silly us wanting you to you proper English. Too bad you're not a fan of a Calif. team. They are all about destroying the English language

I actually don't think he'll get as many sacks mostly because I don't think we will be stout against the run and thus don't think we will make 3rd and longs. I don't think we have the personnel at linebacker to stop teams against the run.

uhmm.... we will still be running a 4-3 also, so we should not fear the run. the coaches should (key word: should) know how best to utilize the defense to its max.

*fingers crossed*

Not really. If this team is able to keep the score close or even take a lead, then other teams are going to be forced to throw the ball.

With teams like the Eagles and Dallas who love to throw that ball around, I can see teams throwing the ball 40 times per game against us.

Archived