Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Orakpo likely to increase sack total

Dirk Diggler

Which Parent-Child relationship tends to be the worst?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Parent-Child relationship tends to be the worst?

• Mom-Daughter
    • Mom-Son
    • Father-Son
    • Father-Daughter

If he continues to improve and doesnt have a sophomore slump due to new terminology and scheme, he could put up 15 or more sacks. that said if teams find it easy to run on us then he will be lucky to get 11. Im torn, I think if we have even one injury to a starter on our dline we could be in deep trouble.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/16/orakpo-likely-to-increase-sack-total

• New Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett recently said that OLB Brian Orakpo, who led all rookies last season with 11 sacks, could be even better in this year's defense. Haslett estimated that Orakpo rushed the passer around 200 plays last season but that he would be doing that "600 to 700" plays this season.

Yeah, Haslett said this when he first came on board as the DC months ago.

He also said that he plans to use Orkapo as a 'spinner' meaning he'll switch from side to side.

I like where Haslett head is at in regards to using Orkapo he's going to be in the backfield a lot this year.

And hopefully some of those sacks will become sack-fumbles.

its simply like this like. orakpo is by far the best talent on d we have. you can say arguably haynesworth is but its no brainer. orakpo is our ware, but better as i see it. even when jay ratliff wasnt there ware still put up what, 12-14 sacks? and their ends arent that great neither. we gonna have haynesworth and carriker on the ends. hopefully kemouateuauasfuau in the middle and have a safety roamin close to the line for the run support when they pass orakpo should be good.

As far as pass coverage goes... yes he's not a good OLB... but as far as pass RUSHING goes.... he's probably even more dangerous as an OLB than a DE just because he's going to have a full head of steam (more speed) when he hits the line of scrimmage... plus the DL will take care of most of the OL... which gives Orakpo a pretty straight line to the QB.

And haha yeah you misspelled good

Sometimes that works against a good pass rusher who likes his hands in the dirt (aka - Orakpo). He uses the force and power to make the tackle unbalanced. What you have in the 3-4 is the ability to go in practically untouched, which can play in anyone's favor. He's a natural pass rusher, I'm positive he'll get sacks.

I refuse to buy into this talk about Rakpo getting more sakcs then next year because he will rush the qb more. Maybe if Haslet said he will get more sacks because he will have his hand in the dirt at all times, maybe then i would believe it. I'm just not 100 percent confident that Rakpo can be a gud 3-4 OLB and I,m sure in his second year he will improve, but Im going to have to see it on the field first.

Just look at what capers did in green bay last year, if matthews can end up having 9 or 10 sacks last year, i can believe that rak will thrive even more. rak is a better athlete than matthews. i'm lovin the switch. I just don't see why people are so down on the move, it's not like our previous 4-3 defense was outstanding, it sure didn't provide turnovers and it couldn't stop anybody when we desperately needed it.

just watch DWare highlights and all his amazing plays.

NOW, watch it all again and imagine that its orakpo.

feeling warm and fuzzy yet?

You know how excited Jim Schwartz got when watching Jahvid Best highlights?

That's how excited I get when I think about Orakpo wrecking havoc on offenses like Ware does. :D

I will take Orakpo with 0 sacks and a good defense over Orakpo with 15 and a bad defense. Its nice to hype up individuals but that didnt exactly help this team last year. I'll take a winning season over a new DC who tells us one player may have good stats any day of the week.

I agree with your point about team first over individual stats but I'm thinking that if Orakpo is getting 15 sacks then that means he's wreaking havoc in their backfield which could translate into mucho fumbles and interceptions.

I don't see how he won't get over 11 sacks this year if he is sent 600-700 times, when supposedly he got 11 sacks from a conservative Blache defense? Some of you guys are too funny

It all depends on Haynesworth's plays... if he is Haynesworth we know who can create havoc then yes Orakpo will be able to get plenty of sacks... Haynesworth is the main guy in redskins D.

It all depends on Haynesworth's plays... if he is Haynesworth we know who can create havoc then yes Orakpo will be able to get plenty of sacks... Haynesworth is the main guy in redskins D.

I agree with this but I'm not sure if it will totally affect his overall impact, his sack total's, yes, but Rak seems to have the ability to be a gamechanger all by himself. Now if AH is lining up on the line then that is just another added luxury, and opposing QB's will be ****ting their pants:)

I have no doubt that, if the coaches put Orakpo in a good situation, he can have over 11 sacks.

The 600 - 700 plays does seem a bit high though. If you divide 650 by 16 games, that is 40.6 pass rushes per game. That is high, and it is also assuming that Orakpo rushes the passer on every single pass play. Surely, Orakpo will be asked to drop into coverage a decent amount. James Harrison, Demarcus Ware, etc. all drop several times per game.

If for no other reason than to not be predictable, Orakpo will need to drop some.

So, I think Haslett was just picking numbers out of the air when he said "600 - 700" times. His point being that Orakpo will rush the passer much more now... which I do agree with.

And hopefully some of those sacks will become sack-fumbles.

I think that is a key point, Haslett has said he wants Orakpo to improve on going after the ball. More sacks is good, improving the sacks to fumbles ratio would be better. Thats my take on what Haslett really wants to see this year.

So, I think Haslett was just picking numbers out of the air when he said "600 - 700" times. His point being that Orakpo will rush the passer much more now... which I do agree with.

True but it's also not a given that our defense knows whether it is going to be a running play or passing play on any given down. There will be times when Orakpo is sent to rush and the opposing team is actually running the ball. That's still a "rush" it just wasn't a pass rush. The numbers aren't completely out of the question but they are on the high side of the spectrum.

This 600-700 rushes number is odd to me

For him to "rush" 600 times, that means teams will need to attempt 37.5 passes per game.

Seems awful high doesn't it?

Last season, despite not having an offense that could scare my grandmother and only twice playing in games where the score and clock demanded that our opponent abandon the running game, our opponents tried about 35 drop backs per game (this does not include the times the QB ran when he planned to pass), so if we do have an offense that can put others in position where they have to pass along with a better pass rush, 37.5 drop backs per game is not "awful high". The Saints, for example, dealt with about 40 drop backs per game, the Vikings saw around 37 per game, the Colts saw about 39. Even the Texans saw almost 37 per game and this is being conservative when considering times the opposing QB pulled the ball down and ran.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/statistics?team=WAS

Our opponents in 2009 only had 511 pass attempts all last season.

However, I don't believe he's implying that he will be rushing on "pass" attempts.

Orakpo will be the 4th man on the line.... and he'll be rushing nearly every down. The difference being.... he won't be confined to a particular part of the field like he would be as a down lineman.

He's going to be able to read down-and-distance, keys, formation, etc... and ultimately choose where he will attack from.

Sounds great... because he can be a really disruptive force.

The downfall is that it also lends itself to being caught out of position and leaving vulnerabilities (ie. big plays).

You would also have to add back the number of times we actually sacked the QB and estimate the times when the QB pulled the ball down and ran. This would come close to that 600 figure and this with a bad offense and only twice being in position where the opponent pretty much HAD to pass. Fact is, teams with better offenses or able to get to the late part of the game with multi-score leads get passed on more often.

So, last season, we'd be talking about 583 (511+40+32) conservatively assuming that twice per game we forced the opposing QB to pull the ball down and run.

This 600-700 rushes number is odd to me

For him to "rush" 600 times, that means teams will need to attempt 37.5 passes per game.

Seems awful high doesn't it?

Any time his assignment is get the QB its a rush.

Some of those rushes will by default happen against the run but he'll be playing the run on the way to the QB.

Sacks are awesome, but slightly overrated in a sort. Lets say Orakpo gets 5 more sacks last year , do we win a lot more games as a result? Maybe even just a few? I don’t think so (except MAYBE if Orakpo wrapped up Romo sits to pee before throwing the winning td, still no guarantee that we get the win.) Although pressuring the opposing QB is great for the D and fun to watch, the object is to win the game. I would be just fine with Orakpo getting 6 sacks and winning games than having the "NFL Sack Leader" and losing the way we did last year.

Archived