Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Define "Cheesy" metal

PokerPacker

You are right PokerPacker, I do not like power metal for the reasons I listed. I can dislike something and consider it cheesy. It is weird how that works.

I told you the reasons I find your music cheesy. Edguy is cheesy, I won't list the reasons because obviously any reason someone gives you in this thread will not meet your criteria of cheesiness.

No one is going to convince you that power metal is cheesy. You listen to it and that is fine, you don't find it cheesy. Others do.

By the way how would you define Dragonforce as cheesy? I agree that they are, just want to hear your definition, that way, everyone else can learn the defintion of cheesiness (I don't think that is a word) according to the word of PokerPacker.

I believe most people's version of cheese is quite different. In fact I love cheese, just not in my entertainment.

By the way how would you define Dragonforce as cheesy? I agree that they are, just want to hear your definition, that way, everyone else can learn the defintion of cheesiness (I don't think that is a word) according to the word of PokerPacker.

I believe most people's version of cheese is quite different. In fact I love cheese, just not in my entertainment.

Lyrically, Dragonforce doesn't really say much. They're always fighting some undefined enemy of some sort. Mindless fun, but really no meaning to the words, nor is there any attempt, really. Hell, they have a song about friggin ninjas.

Edguy, by contrast, has some pretty deep lyrics. Songs like King of Fools commenting about not just following others but rather taking your own path and making your own decisions. Musically, Edguy is varied from one album to the next and is always evolving in sound. The two bands have just the slightest resemblance to each other in that they're both somewhere in the power metal genre, and yet they sound pretty much nothing like each other.

O.k. I get that. But, for me it is not all about the lyrics. It is a collection of things. There are a lot of songs that people would hate if they knew exactly what they were about.

I find it quite funny, actually, when people don't understand the real meaning of the lyrics of a song. In one Edguy song New Age Messiah, its being sung from the point of view of the antichrist (or someone who thinks he is), and there's a line that goes "Pardon ****ing me, who ****ing **** is Jesus? Mother****ing new Messiah of the ****ing world", and everyone assumes its Tobias Sammet expressing his view of Jesus and Christianity when in reality the song is quite the opposite and critical of this antichrist character, who by the end of the song, winds up in the Betty Ford Mental Institute.

Like I said earlier, it is easier to give examples of what I find cheesy than it is to explain it.

That's the thing, its too easy to just say something is cheesy. I'm interested in what defines it. The only definition I've ever really been given is "power metal", which is more disdain for a genre than it is a particular song. I mean, I can't stand death metal (I NEED clean vocals, or at least melodic vocals), but that doesn't make it bad or even cheesy, it just means its not my cup of tea.

Side note, another band I'd consider cheesy (but is a small guilty pleasure of mine from time to time): Alestorm. Pure pirate-themed metal. Some of the scottish riffs are entertaining, but way over-the-top pirate theme that just goes too far.

edit: thinking about it, how much of the perceived cheesiness comes from being up-beat? I get the feeling a lot of metal heads are fans of up-beat metal and often times clean vocals.

There is no solid definition for cheese. Like I said earlier, it does not matter what anyone in this thread tells you, they will never convince you that power metal is synonymous with cheese and they will never give the definition you are looking for. In fact it is something that probably cannot be defined.

You find it funny when people don't understand lyrics? Do you look up the meaning to every song you listen to? I doubt it. I like to make up my own story about the lyrics. Bring them to my point of view. I think it is more fun that way.

There is no solid definition for cheese. Like I said earlier, it does not matter what anyone in this thread tells you, they will never convince you that power metal is synonymous with cheese and they will never give the definition you are looking for. In fact it is something that probably cannot be defined.

You find it funny when people don't understand lyrics? Do you look up the meaning to every song you listen to? I doubt it. I like to make up my own story about the lyrics. Bring them to my point of view. I think it is more fun that way.

Some songs I am intrigued by the lyrics enough to look into it. Other songs, if you just look on the surface, you'll get something completely different than if you look a bit deeper.

don't think I don't appreciate your contribution to the thread. So far, you're the only one really trying to qualify it, though I would think if one considered an entire genre to be cheesy, then you wouldn't have a need for the term cheesy since naming the genre would say the same thing.

all i can say bro is love the music you love no matter others opinion, someone called gwar cheesy in here, and yeah they kinda are....but i love em!!! btw their last few albums have had some really good music on em.......anyways stay true...and bang on!!!!!

as far as a definition? i dunno just something we say

Cheesiness is like obscenity, you know it when you see it. Not that either is a bad thing. If you're into cheesy metal, definitely check out Charlemagne by Christopher Lee. Yes, that Christopher Lee.

You know, Rhapsody of Fire uses Christopher Lee as their narrator. So yeah, I kinda already knew he was in the metal scene :)

at 87, Christopher Lee's gotta be the oldest Metal singer ever.

Cheesy Metal to me would be bands that are based on gimmick over substance or actual musical merrit. Kiss compared to Led Zeppelin is extremely cheesy. Hair bands in general were very cheesy to me. It was all about the look and very few of those bands had a whole lot of substance or artistry to the actual music. It was very contrived.

Cheesy Metal to me would be bands that are based on gimmick over substance or actual musical merrit. Kiss compared to Led Zeppelin is extremely cheesy. Hair bands in general were very cheesy to me. It was all about the look and very few of those bands had a whole lot of substance or artistry to the actual music. It was very contrived.

That is a definition I could live with. Folks trying too hard to fit the mold rather than just trying to make good music. Reminds me of the Dream Evil song The Book of Heavy Metal.

I'd sign - a contract with the devil

I've tried - for so very long

I'd die - to become immortal

that's why I sing this song

Am I a wannabe? - have I no dignity.

Who'd give up all my life.. to be

In the book of heavy metal.. metal!

In the book of heavy metal

In life - I have no religion

besides the heavy metal gods

wear nothing but black skin tight leather

My skin's clad with Metal studs

Am I a wannabe? - have I no dignity.

I give up all my life to be..

In the book of heavy metal.. metal!

In the book of heavy metal

Cheesy = Hair metal/poser bands of the 80's. People like Poison, Quiet Riot, Warrant, Motley Crue, etc. Basically if you want to know what metal wasn't cheesy in the 80's listen to metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, pantera, anthrax, slayer and others like them who weren't as big.

Cheesy = cookie monster/shrieking vocals. If you sound like you're angrily gargling another man's scrotum in your throat while ranting about how death becomes us all, or you can't say a word like "die" in a song without making it "DDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE" you are one of these people. Singing talent isn't huge to me, hell I love James Hetfield's voice circa 1985 as far as metal vocalists go. Just do your angry shouting in a coherent enough manner for me to understand what the **** you're saying.

Cheesy = songs about riding the backs of a dinosaur to slay a dragon for some reason there is a large portion of metal bands entirely dedicated to mythical creatures and the many places and ways you could encounter them. Sure some of the cool bands have songs similar to this such as metallica's "the thing that should not be" though I would point out that it was ONE song and it was specifically based on the H.P. Lovecraft Cthulu stories whereas those weird ass dragon bands make 100% of their songs about random tales of **** revolving around dragons and monsters.

Cheesy = bands who constantly overuse the double bass drum. Slayer is guilty of this at times. The double bass drum going really fast can compliment a metal riff very well...for about 10-20 seconds. Then it starts to get annoying. Sure, it takes a lot of skill to kick the double bass as fast as a guy like that Joey Jordison guy does. Sure, guys like Lars Ulrich aren't as talented as those guys. Sometimes less is more. Personally, I don't go to concerts to blow a load over the drummer. I am a guitarist and I play rhythm guitar. The drums to me are a glorified metronome that fill the silence sometimes between riffs/verses. I would rather have a guy who uses the double bass sparingly because it makes the song sound better than a guy who kicks away at it, going at 9,000,000 beats per minute because he thinks he's just that freaking cool.

Cheesy = metal bands that write entire songs without real riffs. Metal music in my opinion is 100% driven by the rhythm guitarists. The riffs are the centerpiece of a song. What is Master of Puppets without that opening riff? Just a bunch of fancy lyrics and an overrated solo. I have heard a lot of songs by new bands that are basically just 6 minute long solos. Sure some of the stuff they do repeats, but it isn't a riff it's a string of notes in a scale, and since these guitarists refuse to play any low notes on a standard E guitar, it's a bunch of high pitched crap that ends up sounding like the background music to a lot of 8 bit NES games.

Cheesy = Down-tuning your guitars to sound more...I don't know...mean or something... Even metallica has been guilty of this, though they initially did it to keep up with James' blown out and lower voice for live shows. Many bands out there use drop D, drop C, etc. so they can take the easy way out on chords and get that annoying lower guitar sound that really doesn't have the feel that standard E has.

Cheesy = Wearing outfits of any kind on stage. This goes along with hair metal because for the most part all of the good bands I mentioned from the 80's showed up on stage at their shows wearing the same **** they had been wearing when they got off the bus. There wasn't any dressing up to some stupid ****ing space suit of stupidity. There wasn't any fixing of one's hair to look a certain way, people from those good bands just got up on stage and kicked ass. The music is the important thing not the way you look.

Cheesy = Making a greatest hits album. Any band who does this is instantly on the **** list.

don't think I don't appreciate your contribution to the thread. So far, you're the only one really trying to qualify it

I hope I am not coming off as a jerk, certainly do not mean it that way. I have been told recently, by loved ones, that i am rude when I have a disagreement, but I am not doing it on purpose.

I honestly respect your stance on power metal. In my mid 20's I was really into it. In fact, I loved Kamelot, which you mentioned in a thread earlier. In fact, I have the albums, Epica, Karma, and Halo. I buy my albums also, and I only purchase the ones I really like.

Megadeth was/is kind of cheesy but I still listen to them.

See, this is funny. I certainly do not consider Megadeth cheesy in the slightest, lyrics nor music. But this is a great example of a difference of opinion. I think Megadave is great and hope they stick around for a few more years.

Archived