Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Define "Cheesy" metal

PokerPacker

hey thats coool i got ya... thats where the "perspecive" thing i was talking about comes in.....i totally respect your opinion ...and was just joking above so dont get offended......i agree with the Malmsteen vs. richards bit...fairly true... but i know people who play guitar and love listening to it just for influence so once again "perspective"

you dont like that vocal style, understanable...i know its not for everyone!!!! most people dont enjoy or understand it, iget that, thats cool! i like bands like deicide, obituary, six feeet under and stuff like that so i dunno, im just saying its hard to ask for the definition of cheesy when no two people hear things the same way

I wouldn't consider some of the bands mentioned as "metal" I think bands like Poison are more glamour rock and far from being metal.

I agree with this. Other bands like Def Leppard, who were mentioned earlier get unfairly lumped in with all the 80's hair bands. Def Leppard have been around since the late 70's and are still making records today. They certainly aren't as popular as they were in the 80's and 90's but they are not hair metal IMO.

I wouldn't consider some of the bands mentioned as "metal" I think bands like Poison are more glamour rock and far from being metal.

I also don't think hair bands, by definition, are cheesy. They can be, but not all of them are.

But, you know what is cheesy: having a self-referential song that refers to how much you kick ass.

QMrDoIHkOdY

As much as I thought Anthrax was pretty cool, I thought it was really cheesy when they played "bring the noise" with Run DMC.

Anthrax played Bring Tha Noize with Public Enemey, and Run DMC played Walk This Way with Aerosmith.

So, were they both cheezay?

Many of those bands pushed themselves as metal. Yeah sure I don't think Motley Crue or Poison were metal by any means but they are the ones that put themselves out there like that.

When metallica was starting out in L.A. before moving up to San Francisco as a suggestion by Cliff Burton, they pissed a lot of the glam metal fans off because they would get booked for a club and people were expecting to see the same homosexual looking men-women that were playing there at the time playing the same crappy music and instead they got a bunch of pissed off kids playing angry sounding **** off Kill Em All at 1,000 miles per hour.

The San Francisco scene was a lot more open to the aggressive sound of thrash metal.

I've heard a lot of bands described as metal that aren't. ACDC isn't a metal band, but I've heard people describe them as such. I've heard the same of KISS, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, and Deep Purple. I consider all of those bands to be hard rock. They generally don't have a huge amount in common with metal bands that would follow in terms of song arrangement, guitar tone, riff style, solo style, vocal style, etc.

Archived