Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

Pretty cool.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/08/land-rovers-transparent-hood-tech-is-next-best-thing-to-x-ray-vision/?intcmp=obnetwork

Land Rover invents technology that allows you to 'see through' your car's hood to the ground below

A series of cameras under the front bumper displays the images onto a smart-screen windshield which gives you a panoramic view that looks like your car is transparent. 

Looks good for off-road driving.

~Bang

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/marshmallow-toasting-bonobo-charms-internet-after-bbc-debut-n82441

Marshmallow-Toasting Bonobo Charms Internet After BBC Debut

Kanzi, a great ape renowned for his intelligence, demonstrated his fire-building and marshmallow-toasting skills on camera for a new BBC show,"Monkey Planet." His deliberation and dexterity may surprise even bonobo lovers — Planet of the Apes, anyone?

video and more at link

I sat directly behind homeplate for an Orioles / A's game  about 15 or 20 years ago, looking right over the umpire's shoulder (It was awesome, i must say!)  .. Oakland had a knuckleballer up.. i can't recall his name. 

I have never seen anything like it in my life. that ball dances all over, it really has no rhyme or reason, and it moves a LOT.

Needless to say, the O's lost, rickey Henderson hit a grand slam and laughed at me because right before he did, I yelled he was an old man who couldn't see the fences much less put one out.. and when he trotted around and touched the plate, he looked back and gave me a laugh.
oh well. At least he's a Hall of famer. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

http://www.gizmag.com/damaged-heart-tissue-repaired-stem-cells/31889/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=33f4abd18d-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-33f4abd18d-91507117

Human stem cells used to repair damaged monkey hearts

In what could mark a significant breakthrough in the treatment of heart disease, researchers at the University of Washington (UW) have successfully repaired damaged tissue in monkey hearts using cells created from human embryonic stem cells. The findings demonstrate an ability to produce these cells on an unprecedented scale and hold great potential for restoring functionally of damaged human hearts.

http://www.gizmag.com/illustris-virtual-universe-simulation/31962/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=85884528c3-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-85884528c3-91507117

As you might expect, the scale and complexities of the underlying physics means creating a realistic virtual universe would require some hefty computing power. A team of astronomers is claiming to have achieved this impressive feat using a computer simulation called "Illustris," which took five years to program and, for the first time, can recreate the evolution of the Universe in high fidelity.

Whereas using the average desktop PC to carry out the calculations required to simulate everything from the expansion of the Universe, the gravitational pull of matter onto itself, the motion or "hydrodynamics" of cosmic gas, as well as the formation of stars and black holes would have taken more than 2,000 years, the project, which was a collaboration involving researchers from several institutions, used a total of 8,000 CPUs running in parallel to cut the required "run time" to three months.

illustris-universe-2_zps0f10d7a7.jpg

Starting a brief (in cosmological terms) 12 million years after the Big Bang, the computer simulation recreates 13 billion years of cosmic evolution through to the current day in a cube of simulated space measuring 350-million light years on a side. The astronomers counted over 41,000 galaxies in the current-day cube, including what they say is a realistic mix of spiral galaxies like the Milky Way and football-shaped elliptical galaxies. The simulation includes both normal and dark matter using 12 billion 3D "pixels," or resolution elements.

illustris-universe-0_zps2b989f7e.jpg

<much more at link>

http://www.gizmag.com/adam-laser-weapon-lockheed-maritime-test/32014/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=7add88047d-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-7add88047d-91507117

Laser weapon adds sea-going craft to its list of conquests

Lockheed Martin’s ADAM (Area Defense Anti-Munitions) High Energy Laser (HEL) system is part of a growing breed of high-energy weapons being developed for the armed forces of the near future. Having previously demonstrated its ability to track, target, and destroy rockets at high speed and at distances of up to 2 km (1.2 miles), the versatility of the ADAM system has been further established by taking aim at waterborne targets, successfully disabling a military-grade boat in a test on May 7 in the Pacific Ocean.

In this latest test, which was the first against a maritime target, the disabling of a military-grade boat by puncturing its multiple-layer rubber hull required a sustained laser burst for 30 seconds. It demonstrated the ability of the ADAM system to lock on to a single point of a weaving, bobbing target at a distance of approximately 1.6 km (1 mi) with super-accuracy for sustained periods of time.

Not quite as spectacular as destroying a rocket in mid-flight, perhaps, but it does suggest that the ADAM system may also be used effectively against more robust larger craft more likely to be encountered in day-to-day military operations. And all without giving away the weapon’s position through either muzzle flash or the noise associated with more conventional weapons.

lockeed-martin-adam-laser-1_zpsc1a284ae.