Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let Haynesworth play defensive end

Jonathan

I think that Haynesworth's attitude is not good, and Coach Shanahan and the team has every right to expect him to play where he is asked to play.

However, Haynesworth is who he is, and although very smart is not very mature. He has the ability to create a lot of disruption on the team if he doesn't get to play at defensive end.

On the other hand, he could be a great defensive end. If his attitude is decent, he could be a terrific contributor to the team at that position.

There is a very poor trade market for Haynesworth it seems. A second round pick to me is much too little to receive for him after all we have invested.

To get the greatest benefit, I think that it would be best to just line him up and start him at defensive end.

Would this send a message to the players that they are free to cry like a baby if they don't get to play the position they want to, and then they'll be rewarded for it?

I think that that is not what would happen. This wouldn't set a pattern like that and somehow negate all the good organization and needed structure that Coach Shanahan and the team is providing.

People would see that the team is doing what is best to make the most of a difficult situation.

If Haynesworth is allowed to play at end, he'll be motivated you would think to play well to show it was a good decision.

Personally, I think way too much is being made of this. He will play some End, some NT, and some DT. Nobody knows anything. For all we know is he is happy and wants to be here. Rember this the offseason and 98% percent of what you hear means absolutely NOTHING!

Personally, I think way too much is being made of this. He will play some End, some NT, and some DT. Nobody knows anything. For all we know is he is happy and wants to be here. Rember this the offseason and 98% percent of what you hear means absolutely NOTHING!

/thread

I thought the original plan was to rotate him between playing NT and DE?

Listen, the Skins are gonna try to move him. As much as the fan boys don't want it, or don't think it's gonna happen,....they're gonna try. Whether or not it actually happens will depend on them getting value for him.

I think your going to see Al playing a lot of different positions on the line. He and Orakpo will be our wild cards that will be moved around a lot forcing the offense to adjust and think a little bit more.

I know this is going to sound crazy to some of the AH haters but I also expect him to play LESS snaps. Quality over quantity.

ahhh let him cry and come in to training camp out of shape.....then i say just release him/ cut him....that would send a big message!!!! yeah we invested 31 mil but its an uncapped year and snyder is a billionaire so he can afford to lose 31 mil...im sure hes lost more than that in the stock market!

I think AH playing end is the best thing that can happen to the skins. Think about it. Moving him around with Orakpo creates matchup problems. Say for instance on one third down they both line up on the right side and then haynesworth goes up against the left tackle and left guard. he's going to get double teamed while the NT kemo commands the center and right guard. That leaves orakpo with a 1 on 1 with a te or running back, or if the other team wants to handcuff its amount of receivers... he's double teamed by a running back and te and only 3 receivers are eligible.

Then lets say the next third down the line up on the left side, going up against the other teams rg, rt. And say for instance the other team had the te lining up on the left side. He now has to shift to the right and stay in to help protect. Throws off the offense's gameplan.

Then on the next series... we have AH at left end and orakpo going up against the left tackle one on one. The offense now has to decide to leave its tackle on an island with Rak or to bring an extra blocker. And where does the extra blocker protect? Rak's side or AH's side.

For all those complaining about AH playing NT rest assured he's not going to be wasted there. Sure they'll rotate him around some and he might play some NT on rushing downs because he is a dominant run stopper too. But him playing end creates matchup problems. So I really hope that haslett realizes that and we don't sell him away cheap for some third round pick that may never pan out (anyone remember rashad bauman or cliff russell... didn't think so.)

The low amount of turnovers is from Greg Blache's strict system adherance and lack of confusion on defense. You can hear it in the player's interviews how they're more excited to play in this new Steelers turnover friendly system. Even in Rak's interview with Jason Reid he talked about how less structured the new defense was and how it allowed players to adjust and not have to play strictly to the system.

Because of all that I just have some feeling deep down inside we get Eric Berry.

Archived