Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion: McNabb deal 'dumbest trade ever'

vigilante

The Eagles definetely have more to lose. The Redskins are already a laughingstock so if it turns out that this is another bad offseason aquisition, it's just more of the same.

The Eagles on the other hand, are used to being playoff competitors. If this doesn't work out, they could end up like, well... the Redskins.

The Eagles were the Redskins before the Redskins were the Redskins from way back in the day. Its only been this past decade (...and maybe the 90's too) that our organization was full of suck. Hopefully, this will turn around and we'll be back to dominating how we once did.

Those of us who didn't like the trade think Andy Reid knows more about Donovan than a show-boating mindless idiot like Deion knows about Donovan.:D

I am of the opinion that this had nothing to do with Andy Reid's take on Donovan, and more about the Eagles F.O. not wanting to pay the money they owe Donovan, as well as, thinking they can pull an Aaron Rodgers with Kolb.

The Eagles definetely have more to lose. The Redskins are already a laughingstock so if it turns out that this is another bad offseason aquisition, it's just more of the same.

The Eagles on the other hand, are used to being playoff competitors. If this doesn't work out, they could end up like, well... the Redskins.

Eagles organization and their fans don't think so, they wanted to move on from McNabb regardless of the outcome next season, the thought being that DM has had ample opportunity to win the big one and has choked every time he's been put into a position to do so, his championship game numbers are not good, better the loser you don't know than the one you do, at least that seems to be what the Eagle fans pretty much have been saying.

We on the other hand will continue to be the joke that we have been since Snyder has taken over. The problem is everyone is expecting more from us in the personnel dept. this time around because of all the apparent upgrades, so all eye's are on Allen, and MS to see how they fair out of the chute. I don't think the Eagle fans are going to start screaming about how they would have won a championship if they only kept DM?

I am of the opinion that this had nothing to do with Andy Reid's take on Donovan, and more about the Eagles F.O. not wanting to pay the money they owe Donovan, as well as, thinking they can pull an Aaron Rodgers with Kolb.

Andy Reid dealt out by the Eagles front office to make a trade to a division rival? Nope. That doesn't fly with me.

There are 30 teams other than the Skins. It's hard to believe we were the only option they had.

Andy Reid dealt out by the Eagles front office to make a trade to a division rival? Nope. That doesn't fly with me.

There are 30 teams other than the Skins. It's hard to believe we were the only option they had.

From what they were saying on the NFL network earlier was that we did make the best offer.

If they feel DM is pretty much done then there really is no worry were he goes, in fact it can only help Philli to face him twice a year if that is in fact what they believe.

Philly is playing with fire if Kolb fails this may go down as one of the worst trades in NFL history

I'm surprised anyone is questioning it. THis whole offseason a bunch of people have been promoting drafting a QB at four by talking about how rarely second round QBs pan out outside of Drew Brees.

I live in area with a lot of Eagles fans, but a significant number of Steelers and Redskins fans as well. Here's a local sportscaster's take:

http://www.wgal.com/sports/23080444/detail.html

Mr. McNabb goes to Washington. For years there’s been a small, but vocal, group of Eagles fans wishing for Donovan to leave Philly, but I think even those fans are thinking, “what have we done?”

Donovan is the face of the franchise, not just the jerseys in the stands, but the leader in the locker room. Sure, Kevin Kolb looks capable of playing in the NFL, but does he look ready to lead a franchise, and a nation of fans starving for playoff success? And do you really think he can lead the team an 11 win season the way Donovan did last year? I mean, get serious, Kolb’s only win last season was at home over Kansas City. He may turn out to a good QB in this league, but it won’t happen this year. Meanwhile McNabb can be good this year, and he could very well beat the Eagles twice.

Think big picture for a minute or two Eagles fans. In the last year Philadelphia has said goodbye to the three most popular, and most successful players to wear the uniform in the last decade.

First Brian Dawkins, off to Denver where he only started in the pro bowl was an ALL-PRO 2nd teamer. But yeah, letting him go was the riiight move.

Next up, Brian Westbrook, the perennial star in Philadelphia. Sure, injuries were breaking him down, but the guy defined Eagles toughness, the ultimate team guy in a me-me-me sports world. He did not retire, the Eagles cut him. Philadelphia didn’t even give him the decency of coming to camp, trying to earn a spot on the roster. He deserved whatever he wanted, his play made a lot of people in the Eagles organization a lot of money and when got just a little bit down on his luck, they cut him. No retirement ceremony, no speech from the 50 yard line, just a pink slip, and a name on a list of off-season cuts. Still shocks me to think about it.

Finally, McNabb, sure he never won a Super Bowl, sure he lost a bunch of NFC championship games, but he always played the game the right way, he was always easy to cheer for, and always represented the team with class and respect. Above all else he WON GAMES. Since 2000, the Eagles only have one losing season! (2006, when some guy with the initials T.O. imploded the franchise and Donovan was out for the season)

The Eagles have been good for a decade, there are millions of fans in this country who would give up limbs for that kind of success. But all the Eagles do is get rid of the people who made all that success possible.

I hope Donovan finds the same success in Washington that Dawkins is enjoying in Denver. Congratulations, Redskins fans.

Philly is building themselves some kind of offensive monster that they are going to let grow up and play together. Kolb (25), Shady (21), DeSean (23), Maclin (21), and Celek (25) are going to potentially be a scary combo in the coming years.

I think Reid is betting that Kolb is in the mold of other great QB's, that is a bet unassured at this point. If Kolb is not indeed the real deal, It ends Andy's mystique in the NFL and tenure in Philly.

In talking to two Philly fans that I know well and actually are grounded in terms of football they both said this is a move that the team should not have made. Both would have preferred keeping McNabb one to two more years. Both said if you trade him OK, but never to the Redskins. Both don't want to hear anymore from me on the subject. :ols:

On the Sander's comments, I like the guy, I have actually met the guy. Deion is nothing like he seems on TV, but I guess TV does that for people. He is an actor, always has been. But deep down Deion is a great person just trying to do his job.

I am a Redskins fan living in Philly and have watched almost every Eagle game for McNabb's career as an Eagle. My son and I were mad at first that our Redskins got McNabb but then we joked and said "hey, maybe we'll get lucky like the Eagles have all these years with McNabb throwing for 65 yards and the Eagles someohow ringing up 30 points!" Sometimes we watch Eagles games up here and we dont know how it happens, it just does.

I can tell you one thing that will be happening next year. Win or lose, McNabb will be struggling to throw accurate passes and there will be a debate as to who's fault it is that the offense is struggling with folks like Wilbon blaming everybody (it's the offensive line's fault!) and everything but McNabb.

I could be wrong, McNabb, for all his inaccuracies makes things happen and you cant argue with his track record of getting the Eagles to the playoffs. Who knows, maybe it will happen for the Skins too!

I agree they could be potentially very good for a long time. The only thing is if Kolb doesn't pan out they could be set back for years. When you have a franchise QB you ride him till his arm falls off you don't trade him at 33. The Packers got lucky as ****, god was smiling on their asses when they got Aaron Rodgers. Getting back to back franchise QB's just doesn't happen...

Chargers did it as well with Brees/Rivers.

Maybe the Skins can do it with McNabb/??? lol :D

Agreed. If McNabb plays as well as he can here over the next four years and Kolb fails to lift the Eagles during that time while wasting the talent around him it'll be very clear then.

I think Reid is betting that Kolb is in the mold of other great QB's, that is a bet unassured at this point. If Kolb is not indeed the real deal, It ends Andy's mystique in the NFL and tenure in Philly..

Personally I think the Philly FO gave Reid two choices.

1) He finds a new job.

or

2) He stays and finds McNabb a new job.

There weren't 30 other teams making offers, though. Maybe three others. The Redskins made the best offer (and not by a whole lot, apparently). Also, McNabb had to basically agree to where he was being traded to or else he had the power to screw with any trade possibilities in different ways. Also, reports had Kolb unwilling to consider signing an extension--something the Eagles LOVE doing with young players--if he was still remaining the #2 QB the next few seasons. Can't blame him.

My bet is the Eagles' FO took offers for McNabb to see if they could get something worthwhile, and they did. I also think that it's not McNabb that the Eagles' FO thinks poorly about, but that it's the Redskins that they think poorly about. I think they felt the Skins were beyond needing improved QB play in order to truly do any damage in the division...and add to that the feeling that Kolb would do fine as McNabb's replacement. So they got the best value for McNabb that they could and traded with us.

Let us hope that the McNabb trade does for the Redskins what the Packers trade with White did from the Eagles.

From what they were saying on the NFL network earlier was that we did make the best offer.

If they feel DM is pretty much done then there really is no worry were he goes' date=' in fact it can only help Philli to face him twice a year if that is in fact what they believe.[/quote']

There weren't 30 other teams making offers, though. Maybe three others. The Redskins made the best offer (and not by a whole lot, apparently).

It would be foolish to take a slightly better offer from a division rival if the Eagles thought the trade could help us.

Also, McNabb had to basically agree to where he was being traded to or else he had the power to screw with any trade possibilities in different ways.
He could threaten not to sign an extension, but that's mostly bluff. The Eagles could have told him "your choice...anybody but the Skins."
I think they felt the Skins were beyond needing improved QB play in order to truly do any damage in the division...
That could be, but I doubt it. We have decent talent except for the O line. We played them competitively while they had Donovan.

It would be foolish to take a slightly better offer from a division rival if the Eagles thought the trade could help us.

Well, the slightly better offer become a bit "more better" when you realize that the offer has a greater chance of being consumated than the other offers do.

He could threaten not to sign an extension, but that's mostly bluff. The Eagles could have told him "your choice...anybody but the Skins."

He could (an allegedly did) threaten to retire as well. Bottom line being, the Eagles' FO would be taking a chance of not having McNabb on the team AND not having anything to show for it other than winning a dick measuring contest.

That could be, but I doubt it. We have decent talent except for the O line. We played them competitively while they had Donovan.

Them trading McNabb to us benefits the Skins no matter what level of production and play they believe him to still possess, just from his knowledge of their offense and coaching alone. Reid apparently said in an interview that he didn't think McNabb would help the Skins out in any way, shape or form in that area, and made a comment like "Hell, I'll give them the playbook if they want it"...something tells me they didn't let McNabb leave Philly with a dozen copies of the Eagles playbook packed away in his duffle bag,though lol. Sounds more like bravado on the Eagles part than a reality that McNabb can't do them any damage.

Personally I think the Philly FO gave Reid two choices.

1) He finds a new job.

or

2) He stays and finds McNabb a new job.

Could very well be, but if Kolb does not blossom then what?

All this brings up a interesting point and scary question. Is Reid confident that McNabb is not that good or Shannahan for that matter. Added to this is Jerry Jones assessement of Shannahan, who he said he was not looking for to face. Who has miscalculated here? Jerry would be my guess in most cases, but I think he wins out on this one. Shannahan has had too much time to study the battle field and his son is a true talent. I think the Redskins have a better record than the Eagles this year.

Archived