Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Baldinger calls McNabb one of the "Most Overrated QBs" in history

The Full Monty

As much as I like McNabb, you have to admit that sacks are not always the blame of the OL. AR picks OL that are better pass than run blockers. One of McNabb's weaknesses is his inability to anticipate a WR breaking open. He then hangs on to the ball a little to long at times.

Those weaknesses sound eerily familiar....hmmm.....

I'm a big McNabb fan and think the change of scenery is going to be great for him. I predict the Skins WILL compete for the division.

As far as the Rush comment, anyone who doesn't think that the NFL and the media really, really wants a black QB to do well is smoking crack or simply not paying attention.

learn to statistical analysis

Learn to English. (Cheap shot, I know, but too easy not to take.)

You really did just take his career yardage total and divide it by seasons, right? Never mind that McNabb only played in 6 games as a rookie, 10 games in 2002, 9 and 10 in 2004 and 2005, then 14, 15, and 14 games the past 3 years.

Yep, you're right. You can't help your team when you're not on the field. That's a big part of my point. He gets hurt a lot, and now he's getting old, and thus more likely to get injured.

McNabb's teams were NEVER good offensively.

That's just patently untrue.

Moss/ARE/Cooley >>>>> Pinkston/Thrash/Mitchell. His lines gave up 30-45 sacks a season, or about 2 sacks per game.

I hate to break it to you, but Moss and Randle El aren't really that good--Randle El especially. McNabb has played with elite receivers as well (Terrell Owens and DeSean Jackson), a luxury Campbell never had. This receiving corps is about on par with what McNabb had to work with in Philly in non-TO/Jackson years. He's not going to make them look like superstars, because they aren't, and McNabb isn't Drew Brees. Also, McNabb has a tendency to take unnecessary sacks at times.

Two things:

1. Why does McNabb get a pass for "questionable receiver talent" when other guys don't? Nobody here gave Jason Campbell the benefit of the doubt with the Redskins' receiver groups over the last two years.

the difference not denoted in your rebuttal is that A) JC didn't take those teams to 5 NFC Championship games, B) nobody has ever accused JC of making poor WR's look good.

nobody would ever utter the name Freddie Mitchell again if it weren't for McNabb

2. The Eagles had top-10 rushing attacks 3 times during his time in Philly. They were in the top half of the league in rushing 7 of his 11 seasons there. The "no running game" thing is a myth as well.

McNabb is a good QB made to look better by the good teams he played on. That's the definition of "overrated."

ok...i'll concede the rushing yardage stats, & raise you the football I.Q. factor of understanding that simply by virtue of your rushing totals, you do not instill fear into your opponent.

nobody has EVER been afraid of the Iggles rushing attack...& even less are ever worried that they'll remain committed to it over the course of 4 qtrs.

Brooking made that much clear in his remarks regarding Philly's predictability in their 3 games last year.

looks more to me like a great QB elevating the level of play for the players around him, & less like an overrated QB being held up by the virtue of his system & his teammates.

how many picks does he throw? how many times does he throw the ball?

i'm not sure on this...but he may have one of the best attempt/int ratios in NFL history? i could be wrong.

anyways...

dude is a winner (minus a title), certainly an upgrade over JC, & i suspect that he'll immediately make our WR look better than they may actually be.

that said...let's hope he doesn't fumble 2-3 times a game resulting from a porous offensive line.

i want to see us plug up those issues before i start proclaiming us NFC bEast favorites.

Mcnabb is very talented despite what anyone says. He makes great receivers out of poor ones. I sense our receiver core will be substantially more effective with Donny5 than JC. You will see this in just our first game guaranteed. Second, Andy Reid's playcalling is downright PATHETIC. 90% pass, 10% run. Much of the Eagle's success is indeed because of Donovan McNabb. Even under Jim Johnson, the defense was terrible UNLESS the Birds got an early lead. The Philadelphia Eagles success was weighted heavily on Donovan McNabb getting out to an early lead. If they caught an early lead, the defense played aggressive and blitzed almost every down with a combination of runs pending the lead difference. No early lead, 100% passing for the rest of the game and abandoning the run. Say what you people want about the birds success, there reason for coming up short was garbage playcalling by the walrus. Believe me though, a few NFC Championships were lost because of McNabb I won't deny this. But who doesn't have a down game every once in awhile? McNabb will be an even better QB on the Redskins due to playcalling.

Learn to English. (Cheap shot, I know, but too easy not to take.)

Yep, you're right. You can't help your team when you're not on the field. That's a big part of my point. He gets hurt a lot, and now he's getting old, and thus more likely to get injured.

That's just patently untrue.

I hate to break it to you, but Moss and Randle El aren't really that good--Randle El especially. McNabb has played with elite receivers as well (Terrell Owens and DeSean Jackson), a luxury Campbell never had. This receiving corps is about on par with what McNabb had to work with in Philly in non-TO/Jackson years. He's not going to make them look like superstars, because they aren't, and McNabb isn't Drew Brees. Also, McNabb has a tendency to take unnecessary sacks at times.

Amazing! JC can't get the ball to proven recievers like Moss, EL, Cooley and it's their fault, you see how the CDT operates, all of JC's short comings are someone else's fault. Any receiver catching balls from JC is going to look less than ordinary.

And McNabb is the guy who takes unnecessary sacks? I find it kind of funny that you would actually bring a comparison like that to the attention of the anti JC crowd?:doh:

In other words any QB out performing JC has elite receivers, inc. McNabbs 1 season with TO, and 2 seasons with D.Jackson, 1 of which was his rookie year? I am surprised MS missed that? You would think he could have evaluated JC a little more fairly, and waited until he was able to get real receivers for JC, instead of looking over some film and dumping him?

Personally I think JC has already taken his last snap in the NFL, that's how bad I think he is!

People actually take what Brian Ballicker says seriously?

He's probably the worst color commentator/analyst in the business.

He's not the worst color guy, but he's the color guy with the worst name...I mean seriously, who goes around with a name like "Brian"....:drooley:

overrated or not, he is an upgrade over any qb we have on the roster.

Look, it's one argument to say mcnabb can't and won't win a superbowl, however it is another thing entirely to say mcnabb sucks and can't help improve a team that hasn't smelt a nfc championship game in over twenty years.

In order for us to lose a superbowl, we at least have to get there, and mcnabb has led a team there.

I am not the biggest mcnabb fan. I think he has shown flaws in his game, but he is better then what we have and will improve this team.

1+

One other thing I know is McNabb is the quintessential WCO QB in the last decade . I can see him being here to help the transition for a new rookie but I don't like the idea of using 2 picks out of 5 on QBs... though I have to say it would give the idea that Tebow may be headed here .

* I'll try to be objective here - but let me start by saying that McNabb has not been anywhere near the quintessential WCO QB in the last decade. Most Eagle fans would tell you that he's been a square peg in a round hole for a long time.

That said - he is downright lethal when given time. If you protect him and give him a running game to play off of - he can pick defenses apart. But let's be very clear - when the game is tight and you must make that 7 yard slant in perfect time or fit the ball into a tough spot down the field - he becomes a liability.

The WCO calls for timing and accuracy of which McNabb is quite average in both regards. Given time - he can make almost any throw - that's where he is truly great but it's rare when great defensive teams give an opposing tons of time. That's been the problem in Philly all along. When it matters most - and when they must make a play and the opposing defense tightens up - McNabb cannot make the critical throw on the money or on time.

I predict 3,400 yards - 25TD and a 10-6 season in DC with Donovan in yr 1. But they won't go far in the playoffs.

I really, really don't understand how Baldinger believes that Reid is that GOOD of a coach that he could cover the weaknesses of a player for 11 years and still be a perennial contender without the league catching on after a few years of this.

McNabb was the deciding factor to that team being so good, despite having **** for receivers for so long, which changed in 2004 and in the past two seasons. Doesn't Baldinger think that Reid would have gotten rid of McNabb if he had to cover for him to that extent?

Moronic statement and truly disrespectful to one of the greatest players (and best QBs ever) in your team's history.

If you want to talk over rated QB's none came faster to my mind then that piece of garbage in NY, Mark Sanchez...that dude didn't win his team a single game last year, he threw 12 TD's all year and 20 INT's, and he played like crap in every single game but because his team went far into the paloffs people think the guys good. The JETS were good dispite Sanchez not because of him. Now that they were dumb and gave up on Thomas Jones they are going to be bad this year when they have to rely on that dude more. Anyway most over rated piece of garbage QB in the league today sure as hell isn't McNabb

I predict 3,400 yards - 25TD and a 10-6 season in DC with Donovan in yr 1. But they won't go far in the playoffs.

From a 4-12 season to a 10-6 season and playoffs? Hell ya man we can live with that for sure :)

That's kind of where I am. It's win/win. McNabb will make the Skins better. But he won't carry you to a Super Bowl title.

Eagles fans want a title. We aren't stupid enough to think that Kolb will do that in 2010 but we want a new approach because the old one has shown it has fatal flaws.

It's a good move for Washington and Philly.

That's kind of where I am. It's win/win. McNabb will make the Skins better. But he won't carry you to a Super Bowl title.

Eagles fans want a title. We aren't stupid enough to think that Kolb will do that in 2010 but we want a new approach because the old one has shown it has fatal flaws.

It's a good move for Washington and Philly.

He couldve carried the Eagles to the title but Andy Reid never got him a good enough running game. And the same thing will happen to Kolb. You cannot pass 90% of the time in this league. Relying on your Qb to pick up 3rd and short all game long is rediculous. And everyone hanging there hat on Kolbs 2 starts where he threw for over 300 yds. didnt he also throw 7 picks? in my opinion McNabb >>>>>>>>>>>>> Kolb and will always be. Eagles fans are so damn stubborn and there never happy.

Archived