Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Quarterback Donovan McNabb goes from Eagles to Redskins (Player Reactions)

Ghost of

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/04/AR2010040403537.html

Quarterback Donovan McNabb goes from Eagles to Redskins

By Jason Reid

Washington Post staff writer

Monday, April 5, 2010; D01

Key parts....

...the reaction among players was overwhelmingly favorable. So much so, in fact, that the arrival of McNabb should transform the Washington's West Coast offense into a much more productive unit, some believe, and raise the entire team's expectation level.

"It puts a face and a leader, an identity, to this offense. That's what this trade does," center Casey Rabach said in a phone interview. "Donovan is a guy who has done a lot of great things in the NFL for a long time, and he's done it in this style of offense also. And for him to be our teammate now, it's definitely a big move for us." ....

Although many of Campbell's teammates expressed admiration for his professional conduct during many trying situations in his three-plus seasons as a starter, they praised Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen for their aggressiveness in making a deal that, several said, clearly makes the team better...

Frustrated with the West Coast scheme of former head coach Jim Zorn, the Redskins have eagerly embraced Shanahan's program. The Redskins' decision to only offer Campbell, a restricted free agent, a first-round contract tender and not a multiyear contract extension, and their apparent strong interest in the top draft-eligible quarterbacks -- Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen among them -- stirred league-wide speculation that the team would make a major move in an attempt to upgrade at the position.

"Obviously, it's very surprising," outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. "You're talking about a guy who has been to the big game [super Bowl XXXIX] and played in a lot of NFC championship games. He's done it for a long period of time, so he can't do anything but make your team better.

"I love Jason Campbell as a person and a player, but the front office wanted to go in a different direction. Who knows what other moves they'll make and where Jason will wind up, hopefully he'll be here, but he'll be successful wherever he is. But we all know what we signed up for being in the NFL."

Regardless what the Redskins do in the April 22-24 draft, they've succeeded in upgrading at quarterback. "He's [potentially] a Hall of Fame quarterback," wide receiver Devin Thomas said. "For one, he's a leader at the position. He has that charisma and he has that playmaker ability with his feet and with his big arm. He has that toughness from playing in the NFC East his whole career. He's everything you want. And for a young receiver such as myself, who's ready to break out, I couldn't dream of a better quarterback.

"Shoot, he's been in this offense his whole career and he's been in the NFC East his whole career. He knows what expect going against the Giants, Dallas and now even the Eagles, so he brings that. In then he knows what to expect in this offense. I couldn't imagine anything better happening for our offense."

And apparently for the locker room as well. Whereas Campbell usually preferred to lead by example, at least earlier in his career, McNabb always was among the most vocal leaders in the Eagles' team hierarchy, said new Redskins offensive lineman Artis Hicks, was blocked for of McNabb in Philadelphia.

"When you talk about leaders, Donovan is a great leader," Hicks said. "He always did everything that was asked of his as a starting quarterback, and sometimes quarterbacks just have to be vocal. It's the position teams look to for leadership and Donovan understands that.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

Like they are going to say something negative.

"This guy is old and couldn't do it in his prime."

I don't think Devin Thomas or Hicks sound 'business-like' they are rather effusive in their praise.

The important part is exactly what they say and what it implies verifying what many of us have long believed about how listless our offense looks.

And the article says "overwhelmingly positive" not mixed or reserved.

Risky move by Shanahan & Allen but the upside is really good. McNabb is turning 34 this year and should have 4-5 years left (if the O-line is fixed). Adjusting to a different offense is a non-issue considering he has been in the same offense Shanahan will run for the last 11 years. What shocks me is the Eagles traded him to a division rival. They must not think he is going to be very productive. That should be a slap in the face for McNabb and provide extra motivation for him this year.

I don't think Devin Thomas or Hicks sound 'business-like' they are rather effusive in their praise.

The important part is exactly what they say and what it implies verifying what many of us have long believed about how listless our offense looks.

And the article says "overwhelmingly positive" not mixed or reserved.

Devin is an underperforming 3rd yr player and Hicks is a backup. With the way this FO is hacking players and putting All Pros like Haynesworth on the trading block, no one is going to be negative or do anything but bend over and kiss Shanny's butt.

Devin is an underperforming 3rd yr player and Hicks is a backup. With the way this FO is hacking players and putting All Pros like Haynesworth on the trading block, no one is going to be negative or do anything but bend over and kiss Shanny's butt.

How can you even say Devin is underperforming with the crap he's had to work with specifically Zorn for the last 2 years. We can literally throw out all data under Zorn. Confidence goes a long way in the NFL and when you have McNabb in the huddle and Shanny calling the plays you will find players like Devin Thomas taking that next step.

Really? Well Rabach is our starting center that Shanahan locked up for 3 more years, and even he is pumped to have an actual LEADER on the team. I can just imagine DT, Moss, and Kelly dreaming of catching his deep balls tonight.

Mcnabb is a better fit with what we want to do in DC, I really admired Jason, however, I question if he was ever a fit in the WCO at this point. I think Shannyy knew that and decided to move on with McNabb. I didn't think Jason was a bad QB but McNabb is a TRUE franchise QB, Campbell was a middle of the road to above average QB but Donovan is a true Franchise QB in every sense of the word

uuhhhhh....:ols:

:ols::ols::ols:

But really, look how excited Moss and DT were about having Kyle Shanahan call plays. And look what he did with Schaub. Now imagine that...with McNabb, who's already proven efficient with the deep ball. That's explosive.

What shocks me is the Eagles traded him to a division rival. They must not think he is going to be very productive. That should be a slap in the face for McNabb and provide extra motivation for him this year.

McNabb was not going to report to some of those other teams. It simply was not an option for them to trade outside, with maybe the exception of...well, I can't even think of one. It was more Reid doing him a solid, well, and him threatening not to report/retire if traded elsewhere that made Washington the destination.

Pretty damning evidence when your starting center is saying they finally have a leader.

I'm not a JC hater at all, but that's exactly what I thought. The dude that blocked for him for 3 years. I agree though, for this next couple of years we are better at QB.

Pretty damning evidence when your starting center is saying they finally have a leader.

I wonder where are all those people who love to bash CP and claim he throws teammates under the bus now? If CP made some of these comments, they would be here raising holy hell. But since it's only Rabach, nobody cares.

Double standard much Agenda Boyz?

I wonder where are all those people who love to bash CP and claim he throws teammates under the bus now? If CP made some of these comments, they would be here raising holy hell. But since it's only Rabach, nobody cares.

Seriously. DHall praises the FO for getting rid of "dead weight" and people have a friggin conniption, but don't see anything wrong with this.

For the record, I don't see anything wrong with any of it. I just think the bias' are ridiculous.

Wait, who are the Agenda Boyz, I thought me and a bunch of other Campbell skeptics/QB people were?

You have never seen my hammer Clinton, I haven't gone off on him and you can check the record on that and it's not just personal bias towards him, I think the stuff about him is overblown.

As for Campbell, he's on his way out and they aren't technically killing him, they're more doing it by implication (we're not dumb after all) so that is a bit different than doing it with a current teammate. But again, I'm not on Clinton about anything, so you'd have to talk to them.

Archived