Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Todd McShay Backlash Builds

StillUnknown

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/todd-mcshay-backlash-builds/

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined. "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant *******. A know-it-all. And he really knows nothing. Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite. Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five. He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

more info in the link

McShay is to scouting as Florio is to reporting. They are both more of hobbyists that have somehow convinced others that they are professionals. At least Florio has a sense of humor and can admit he isn't a real journalist. On one hand it's really their own fault but you have to feel sorry for the kids/families that buy into the hype these guys create for them thinking they can leave school early for the NFL only to become late round/UDFA's when they could have stayed in school to get a degree and possibly improve their stock.

I also agree with the point that Mayock is the best in the business. He isn't perfect but neither are the real scouts. I believe that he actually has sources around the league and he seems to really do his homework on the prospects. What a great job to have.

McShay is a hack that no one should take serious. Kiper, I've come to really appreciate his analysis a few years ago, and Mayock is sharp and unbiased and I can say that I that actually learn something from him.

Kiper and Mayock are the only two I take seriously.

Is this writer's envy? Florio must really wish he were working at ESPN, can't understand how someone who has just as little talent and just as few connections can get a job there, and is blowing it all over the page.

To you, Florio, I say :beatdeadhorse: (you're the horse)

Great stuff here. This might be the first bit of reporting Florio has ever done. I never really had a problem with McShay until recently. Now I think he is a joke. I actually do remember when he was saying Andre Woodson was a first round prospect. :doh:

Now he bashes Clausen all the time and he has no legit reasons why. He is obviously very biased and I hate that. How can you call urselve a scout? He's no scout at all. I'm more of a scout then McShay. I can objectively look at talent and access the strengths and weaknesses. McShay can't do that.

I'm still baffled as to why NBC has affiliated with pft. It is an enigma to me.

That being said, mcshay's dislike of Clausen has been very suspect to me also. His ex coaches and teammates have all said Clausen is a leader and a good guy yet mcshay insists that Clausen is a question mark as far as leadership and character goes. Clausen clearly has the talent to be an NFL qb, whether he is able to turn that into a solid career is another question altogether but I don't think he'll fail due to his character.

Is this writer's envy? Florio must really wish he were working at ESPN, can't understand how someone who has just as little talent and just as few connections can get a job there, and is blowing it all over the page.

To you, Florio, I say :beatdeadhorse: (you're the horse)

Not to defend Florio as I pointed out many of the same issues you did but while it isn't ESPN PFT is affiliated with NBC now which is a legitimate news source. Florio is notorious for his "sources" (reading ES) from time to time but he does have actual sources around the league. After posting the piece about someone telling Tebow to "shut the **** up" during the Wonderlic Tebow and his agent personally called him to refute the story. A lot of coaches and players read PFT and will contact him to clarify stories. He is no Adam Schefter but for a guy that started as a hobbyist like you or I he is doing pretty well for himself. And like I said before, at least he has a sense of humor about being a "fake" journalist.

OK, so moral of the story is that Mayock does his homework/studies film and McShay is a pretty boy ass-wipe that all the 'real scouts' can't stand. Let's see how Mayock ranks the top talent in 2010. (March 25, 2010)

With several pro days down and many more yet to go, here is a look at the latest top 20 list.

1. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

McCoy is incredibly disruptive for opponents' passing games.

2. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

Suh is a tremendous all-around defensive tackle.

3. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

Bryant is reminiscent of Andre Johnson, but his off-field issues need to be qualified.

4. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

Bradford is very accurate and poised in the pocket, but his durability is a concern.

5. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

Okung is a top-10 caliber left tackle, but needs more consistent technique.

6. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Spiller has the speed to go the distance, and is a threat as a receiver, rusher and returner.

7. Earl Thomas, S, Texas

Thomas is the draft's most instinctive safety, but will his size limit him?

8. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

Bulaga is a technician who was taught well by Iowa's Kirk Ferentz. His short arms are a concern.

9. Joe Haden, CB, Florida

Haden has quick-twitch muscles and is great at changing direction. He is surprisingly physical.

10. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

Berry has all-pro tools, and a great all-around game.

11. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

Pierre-Paul is an explosive physical talent, but is raw and inexperienced.

12. Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

Williams can be a swing tackle, but will off-field issues affect him?

13. Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Morgan has a great motor and was very productive in college. He gets off the ball quickly.

14. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Williams is a massive interior presence, and has better feet than expected.

15. Sergio Kindle, DE/LB, Texas

He is an explosive edge pass rusher as an edge defensive end/outside linebacker. He is a playmaker.

16. Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

McClain is a prototypical inside linebacker for the 3-4, and can also play the strongside.

17. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Gresham is a game-breaking tight end, but the torn ACL he suffered last year needs to be qualified.

18. Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

Graham is scheme diverse, and had a great Senior Bowl week.

19. Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

Pouncey is a first-round center that can anchor and pull.

20. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

He can make all the NFL throws, but his intangibles need to be looked at closely.

To be honest, I take most "draft experts" with a grain of salt. While they might do their homework and doing a lot of study, they don't really know at the core what specific aspects of a player meets team needs. That's why I don't take much stock in "reaches" and "value", because these guys don't really know the true value of these players to NFL teams. Usually, when players drop, there is a reason why they drop.

BTW, it looks like Mayock also has questions about Clausen's intangibles.

I've always viewed McShay as someone ESPN brought in to liven up the draft talk. He is good at being an ass with Kiper and I think that's the only reason he's around. ESPN needed drama with the NFL offseason and figured giving Kiper a little douche to deal with would work.

Archived