Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rueters: S.Korean ship sinking, North attack suspected-media

nonniey

Agreed. Barring NK attempting to invade SK, there will be no military action against NK, no matter the provocation.

Number one reason why there won't be: South Korea.

(Number two country who will vote against military action against NK: Japan. For the same reason.)

Well, I wouldn't say there would be no military action. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if sometime over the next year the South Korean Navy blows away a nK gunboat or two or sinks a sub and claims it was self defense.

Well, I wouldn't say there would be no military action. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if sometime over the next year the South Korean Navy blows away a nK gunboat or two or sinks a sub and claims it was self defense.

that wont happen... those type of events just hurt the South Korean economy...

the best thing that can happen is if the power transfer from KimJong-Il to whoever that is next line happens quickly and peacefully.

I think this event is linked more to the internal power struggles than anything else.

South Korea suspends trade with N. Korea

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak announced Monday his country is suspending trade with North Korea, closing its waters to the North's ships and adopting a newly aggressive military posture after the sinking of a South Korean warship.

"We have always tolerated North Korea's brutality, time and again," Lee said. "We did so because we have always had a genuine longing for peace on the Korean Peninsula. But now things are different."

"North Korea will pay a price corresponding to its provocative acts," he said, according to an English translation of the speech provided by Lee's office. "I will continue to take stern measures to hold the North accountable."

The White House issued a statement Monday supporting South Korea's measures, saying they were "called for and entirely appropriate."

Click on the link for the full article

Clinton: Koreas security situation 'precarious'

By MATTHEW LEE, Associated Press Writer Matthew Lee, Associated Press Writer – Mon May 24, 10:45 am ET

BEIJING – U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday that the Obama administration is striving to avoid a conflict on the Korean peninsula following an investigation that blamed North Korea for the sinking of a South Korean warship.

Speaking to reporters in Beijing, Clinton said North Korea's chief ally China and its other neighbors understand that the situation is "highly precarious" and want to avoid raising tensions further.

"We are working hard to avoid an escalation of belligerence and provocation," Clinton said. "This is a highly precarious situation that the North Koreans have caused in the region." The U.S. will work with other nations to make sure that North Korea feels the consequences of its actions and changes its behavior to avoid "the kind of escalation that would be very regrettable," she said.

President Barack Obama has ordered U.S. military commanders "to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression" from North Korea, the White House said. The United States has 28,500 troops in South Korea.

Click on the link for the full article

I don't know much about N. Korea but would it be that hard for the CIA to take him out. Hell, they have assinated people before and made it look like something else. Would anyone miss this nutjob? Would it cause a problem between U.S. and China?

Kim Jong Ill talks more **** than anyone. He'll name people and places in the US he wants to bomb. But I guess its U.S. policy to only attack places where they have slingshots and weapons that we sold in the late 80's.

Archived