Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For the "Tebow > Colt McCoy" crowd, I'd like an explanation

Dr Drunkenstein

Tebow is passionate for the game and is willing to do anything to make sure he has the tools to succeed, even change his throwing motion that he has always had. Tebow is a vocal leader and leads the team like no other college QB in the draft this year. Tebow actually can be an Elway type QB. You even said Tebow and McCoy have the same arm strength and so if his arm is just as strong plus Tebow is way more mobile and way bigger how would you not want Tebow over McCoy. Teboy has a NFL body and wont crumble when getting hit by D Ware or any other big NFL pass rusher. Tebow is a winner with a winning attitude. You dont see guys with his confidence much. I think Tebow could be the best QB in this draft class. Is he a high risk player? Ya. But who isnt and getting him in the 2nd round is well worth the risk. Bradford is the only other QB in this draft that is starter quality. So if we dont get Bradford in the 1st or Tebow in the 2nd then I hope we dont get a QB at all in this draft and wait till next year. The only other QB i life is Lafavor but only if we can get him in the 4th and I dont see that happening.

The Big 12 defense compared to the SEC is a big point to me. Competing successfully against the SEC just stands out as a more significant accomplishment. However, in my opinion, it is precisely the fact that Tebow changed his throwing mechanics so drastically so quickly that makes me think he is a better choice. If MS really wants a QB to "coach up", the innate ability to learn, work, and study is what will yield the most success.

Let me see if I have this right. Colt McCoy gets a really bizarre injury right at the beginning of the NCAA Championship Game. You know...one of those injuries which really only last until the game is over. He gets a total pass. Fascinating.

The Big 12 defense compared to the SEC is a big point to me. Competing successfully against the SEC just stands out as a more significant accomplishment. However, in my opinion, it is precisely the fact that Tebow changed his throwing mechanics so drastically so quickly that makes me think he is a better choice. If MS really wants a QB to "coach up", the innate ability to learn, work, and study is what will yield the most success.

This is the correct answer.

No one in the little 12 plays defense. There was some crazy stat that last year, 5 teams in the little 12 averaged 40 points a game.

Stats built up against pansies like that need to be discounted tremendously.

"Tebow actually can be an Elway type QB."

"However, in my opinion, it is precisely the fact that Tebow changed his throwing mechanics so drastically so quickly that makes me think he is a better choice."

Am I on 'Punked'? No way these can be legit responses.

Some guy in another thread tried to tell me that to him, Tebow is a cross between Elway, Steve Young, Mike Vick, and Peyton Manning.

So yes, I guess these are real responses people come up with. Legitimacy is a different story though.

I also like McCoy but I just think that Tebow is just more passionate and as someone else said he's a great leader.
What makes you think Tebow is more passionate?

McCoy isn't a great leader as well?

I've heard stories about divisions in the UF locker room this past year where some of the guys were getting big egos about the team's success, and when Tebow tried to talk to them, they didn't listen, and it culminated in the team's meltdown at the hands of Bama in the SEC title game.

The media has built Tebow up to such incredible heights, and then people jump on board and say things like "well he's just a great leader and he has so much passion."

There's been a lot of guys who have had success in college football, rivaling Tebow's success, who were just as passionate for the game. They didn't get there by sleepwalking through practice.

Is his work ethic a big plus? Sure, of course. But it's not something he holds over most other guys in any NFL draft.

Let me see if I have this right. Colt McCoy gets a really bizarre injury right at the beginning of the NCAA Championship Game. You know...one of those injuries which really only last until the game is over. He gets a total pass. Fascinating.

So.....are you implying he could have come back but chose not to? Ponderous.....

Here is an interesting article:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/03/florida-gators-wr-deonte-thompson-sounds-happy-to-usher-in-post-tebow-era.html

I doubt too many Texas WRs will be saying things like this about Colt when discussing his successor:

New quarterback John Brantley is what Thompson calls a “pure passer,” which makes him happy. The two have connected on thousands of passes the last three years in practice, Thompson said.

“You never know with Tim,” Thompson said. “He can bolt. You think he’s running but he’ll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready. With Brantley, everything’s with rhythm, with time. You know, a real quarterback.

not me ... I would prefer Okung at #4 and McCoy at #36 ... assuming Bradford is gone by the time we pick.

I'd don't want Teebow, unless he is there in the 4th round ... it's another project and another roster spot.

What if we draft Tebow in the 2nd, and then Shanny likes what he sees in Colt Brennan's development in OTA/TC? You can't cut a 2nd rounder.

Either we draft a top QB prospect in Bradford, Clausen or McCoy ... or we don't draft one at all this year. Just one man's opinion.

People are acting like My man Shanny can't pick out successful OL in the latter rounds. He can pick up Bradford, Clausen, or even Colt (probably transform any of them into very successful QBs) and STILL pick up and rb and 3 O Lineman that can excel in his ZBS. I am not worried at all.

**I hope we can pick up RB Montario Hardesty** (:

Trade JC and we might get some more picks (;

not me ... I would prefer Okung at #4 and McCoy at #36 ... assuming Bradford is gone by the time we pick.

I'd don't want Teebow, unless he is there in the 4th round ... it's another project and another roster spot.

What if we draft Tebow in the 2nd, and then Shanny likes what he sees in Colt Brennan's development in OTA/TC? You can't cut a 2nd rounder.

Either we draft a top QB prospect in Bradford, Clausen or McCoy ... or we don't draft one at all this year. Just one man's opinion.

I agree...If Bradford is gone....get Okung...***Its a no brainer IMO***

That would be the other Colt.

They're all spread qbs, though, and they just don't assimilate well.

It's true.

However, it's REALLY close.

CB career completion percentage: CB's percentage is %70.391, CM's is 70.334. CM also had a year where he completed 76%.

Not trying to hijack the thread. Hunter_R is correct, but it's really in the noise. They are about the same in accuracy percentage.

This is the correct answer.

No one in the little 12 plays defense. There was some crazy stat that last year, 5 teams in the little 12 averaged 40 points a game.

Stats built up against pansies like that need to be discounted tremendously.

2009 Total Offense for the Big 12:

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/football/09Big12_FB_Stats.pdf

Points per Game on OFF

1. Texas 39.3

2. Texas Tech 37.0

3. Texas A&M 32.8

4. Oklahoma 31.1

5. Kansas 29.4

6. Missouri 29.0

7. Oklahoma State 28.4

8. Nebraska 25.1

9. Kansas State 23.0

10. Colorado 22.2

11. Baylor 20.8

12. Iowa State 20.5

CB career completion percentage: CB's percentage is %70.391, CM's is 70.334. CM also had a year where he completed 76%.

That is the point I am trying to make. McCoy broke Culpepper's single season completion % record.

As for the "Tebow is a great leader and has so much passion for the game" people, I encourage you to watch McCoy's highlights:

http://videos.utexasclan.com/

Well as for "tangible" evidence (statistics) there are good arguments for both Tebow and Colt.

At first I definitly wanted Colt...and hopefully shipley if he fell to a later round as well, which I still would be satisfied with..

But now I am leaning towards Tebow because of one thing: his heart. When Tebow stood up infront of the country and said "nobody will ever work harder than I will the rest of the season" after Florida lost a game I believe, he backed it up and got his team to the championship game. Colt might have better stats and accuracy, but I think Tebow has such a desire to win and be such a good QB that he will do ANYTHING to make himself better, which I think he can and will do.

all that being said... must be a second round pick or lower.

AXIOM 1: SEC Defense > BIG 12 Defense

AXIOM 2: Florida Victories w/ Tebow vs SEC teams with tough defenses > Texas Victories w/Mccoy vs Big 12 teams with 'Little or No defense"

CONCLUSION: SEC > BIG 12

THEREFORE

THEOREM 1: IF STATS(Tebow) > or = STATS(McCoy)

OR

THEOREM 2: IF # National Championships(Tebow) > # National Championships (McCoy)

THEN

CONCLUSION: Tebow > McCoy

REFERENCE: See BIG12 OK w/ Bradford vs SEC FL w/Tebow for National Championship. FL > OK > TX

That's my explanation of how I see it.

But I still don't want either of the first two picks spent on QB.

Here is why I prefer McCoy..

I've seen plenty of people say they prefer Tebow but no one ever says why........I'd like to herar a logical explanation, based on tangible evidence and statistics, why drafting Tebow would be better than drafting Colt McCoy.

i-demand-an-explanation-baby-demotivational-poster.jpg

Neither Tebow or McCoy are NFL ready QB's due to the crappy, non pro systems that they played in college. The difference is that Tebow has much more upside physically than Colt.

Archived