Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need-new-rock-can't-stand-it!

HRNY4ZRNY

It takes a special kind of infatuation to confuse "my favorite" with "best ever".

that might be true. But if you havent owned the cds and listened to them on a real stereo system or in your car you dont know what you are missing. Also their are not alot of rock bands that are flawless.

You can say flawless is an opinion and it is. But I look at all the bands I like objectively and I know they put out a lot of bad songs aswell as good ones. Breaking Benjamin has 4 cds with an average of 11 songs on each. Every single song ranges from really good to superb.

How many bands do you know that have 4 cds that are all great. Bands have a few good songs and then put some garbage on the cd to fill it out. B.B. takes their time on everysong.

Not to mention they have unreleased tracks that are great. Ordinary Man, Ladybug, Blow me Away (from Halo) Who wants to live forever (Queen tribute)

That puts them up to 45 songs and none of them you could consider bad. So they are 45 for 45. Thats rare. Tool is a good band but some of their songs are unlistenable.

Also its cool to like Tool. They arent as mainstream.

A band that doesn't have a 'bad' song, probably doesn't experiment very much. I'm not saying that as a dis because I'm not too familiar with BB (not my cup of tea, as EA put it).

I'd happily accept a band that strikes out on a few songs if it means they'll hit it out of the park with songs of varying styles.

A band that doesn't have a 'bad' song, probably doesn't experiment very much. I'm not saying that as a dis because I'm not too familiar with BB (not my cup of tea, as EA put it).

I'd happily accept a band that strikes out on a few songs if it means they'll hit it out of the park with songs of varying styles.

Experimenting to me is when you are in the studio or messing around. If its good it makes it to the final cut it makes it on the cd. But if the experiment goes bad you dont just throw it out there and let people see the abomination.

But I get what you are saying.

Experimenting to me is when you are in the studio or messing around. If its good it makes it to the final cut it makes it on the cd. But if the experiment goes bad you dont just throw it out there and let people see the abomination.

But I get what you are saying.

Well I wouldn't say the songs are necessarily bad, but just not exactly something I'd listen to. When you switch it up in style, you'll win some people over while upsetting others. One of the bands I youtubed earlier (Edguy) has gone through quite a transformation in style from their early days. They don't put songs on their albums necessarily by how "good" the song is, but rather how does it fit with the rest of the album. They have some EPs, which they load up with as many songs as possible (with it still being considered an EP), and rather than just having the single and loading it up with throw-away songs, they have the single and then put in other songs they feel matches the theme, so their EPs actually wind up being pretty good.

Then again, when it comes to experimenting in general, I think the band leader leaves that to his side-band, Avantasia, which he created for the purpose of experimenting with concepts and what-not. Pretty impressive for a side-band, considering he was able to get the likes of Alice Cooper to team up with him for a song, and borrowing talent from other well-known acts such as KISS and The Scorpions.

And then you have a band like Dream Evil (also youtubed earlier), who also does different things with their music. What they did (at least what I interpret what they did) was they put their best songs in their albums, and then later released a compilation CD set. What they did on the compilation set (called "Gold medal in Metal") was they had a "Gold" CD with their their most popular songs and "Silver" for the next tier. And then there was "Bronze", which contained a bunch of Bonus tracks and previously unreleased songs they had recorded (and you could tell that some of these songs were definitely written to be in a previous album) but I guess hadn't made the 'cut'.

You can say flawless is an opinion and it is. But I look at all the bands I like objectively and I know they put out a lot of bad songs aswell as good ones. Breaking Benjamin has 4 cds with an average of 11 songs on each. Every single song ranges from really good to superb.

That puts them up to 45 songs and none of them you could consider bad. So they are 45 for 45. Thats rare. Tool is a good band but some of their songs are unlistenable.

None of them you would consider bad but I'd be shocked if someone whose tastes were more in line with my own would find more than a handful worth listening to at all. Hell, there really aren't any Tool songs I don't enjoy or appreciate on some level.

I'd also argue that there are an abundance of bands out there with four or more good albums. It's all highly subjective, though.

Also its cool to like Tool. They arent as mainstream.

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Tool is fairly mainstream they just aren't as radio-friendly as the bands you have listed off.

Glad you liked the Rise Against song. You're pretty much guaranteed to like most of their other stuff too.

You didn't respond to my Avenged Sevenfold question, but I was thinking for awhile which song by them to post. This is off their cd Waking the Fallen from back in 03. The song is supposedly about one of their former band members or friends who tried to commit suicide. Also I've heard that some of the lyrics were taken from the note he left. I couldn't find anything to confirm that, so take it with a grain of salt. Great song regardless. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to it out of laptop speakers like I am right now.

JM8d3hrl514

Make sure you listen the whole way through. From the 5:30 mark to the end of the song gets a nomination for most epic piece of music ever.

I hate DC101

None of the songs I like are played on DC101. DC101 plays Red hot chili peppers, nirvana, guns and roses over and over and over.

Pretty Spot on. But you forgot bloodhound gang, pearl jam, Three days grace, and Chevelle. I hate dc101. Every time i drive home from georgia, i know exactly what songs are about to come on the radio. I have to keep the ipod on the whole way.

redskin4lyf- thanks ill check it out more later already like what i see.

Sure, and these are bands off the top of my head based on your OP:

30 Seconds to Mars

Rise Against

Jet Black Stare

Burning Borders

Egypt Central

Neverset

Operator

Parabelle

Papercut Massacre

Rev Theory

Society Red