Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Alridge really fumble that much?

Rhodus333

I know Shanahan was originally interested in this guy before he even came to the skins. And this year he was one of the first players asked to come back. We've cut alot of running backs so far this offseason but despite his limited carries last year, Alridge is still here. I'm assuming the staff would like to see him step up in return/kickoff situations, and possibly spell Portis and Johnson in third down situations.

He seems to me a great prospect for us to get a quick, explosive Sproles type player, but around the board his biggest knock seems to be his "fumblitis". I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, just genuinly curious? Did he fumble that much last season? I remember one fumble, but im wondering if there were other instances i'm forgetting, or maybe some from before he came to the skins?

Just genuinley wondering where did this reputation come from? Unless i'm missing something i think he's got way to much upside to be written off as a lost cause as many people on this board seem to think he is, especially considering how highly regarded he seems to be by the head coach.

Anyone have any insight? I feel like he's actually one of the more optimistic prospects for us this season, and has the potential to give our stagnant running game a boost. . .

Portis had the same rep when he entered the NFL. Watched his preseason games in his rookie year and he fumbled quite often. Shanahan worked with him on the problem. So if that's his only problem, maybe Shanahan believes he can fix it.

I just looked up Alridge's college stats, and he never fumbled once in college. I'm not too concerned about any fumbling problems. I think he was just anxious during training camp after fumbling a few times and then trying to come back quickly from his foot injury.

Mike Shanahan was a big fan of this kid in Denver, and it's no surprise he decided to keep him once he got to Washington.

People mentioned him fumbling quite a bit during training camp. He missed most of the preseason games, but he fumbled again during the limited time he played. So, I'd say it is definitely an issue.

I just looked up Alridge's college stats, and he never fumbled once in college. I'm not too concerned about any fumbling problems. I think he was just anxious during training camp after fumbling a few times and then trying to come back quickly from his foot injury.

Mike Shanahan was a big fan of this kid in Denver, and it's no surprise he decided to keep him once he got to Washington.

college stats don't show fumbles for some reason. check out tebow, he apparently didn't fumble in 3 1/2 years of starting. if you go on youtube you can find videos of him coughing it up though.

when you're a young player, struggling to make the team there is zero margin for error. i think he fumbled twice last preseason, but since mason got the majority of the carries it makes it look worse because he may have only touched the ball 15 times. i made up his touches because i can't remember how many, but you get the point.

he'll definitely be given a chance to play to here though, as long as he proves he can hold onto the football.

(oh and a funny sidenote, our starting punt returner fumbled all the time and he got to keep his job all last season. it's amazing what "veteran" status will get with some coaches.)

I cannot say that he "really fumbles that much" because I have not seen him in game action enough to make a full analysis. what I can say is that from what I have seen he reminds me a lot of Tiki Barber before Tom Coughlin came and took over. Both are amazingly talented runners who are very undersized and had fumbling problems. I also think that this "fumbling problem" can be attributed to the way that Aldridge carries the ball. He often has the ball in the inside arm, and he holds it very low and loose. Once he corrects those issues then he will be worth a roster spot, but not before.

It's nothing that can't be fixed for sure, Tiki Barber was a fumbling machine until he confronted the issue. Anthony Alridge is an excellent RB with the hands of a receiver, CB's don't have the speed to keep up with this kid, so how is a LB going to cover him when Shanny sends him out on a pattern.

He averaged 10.1 yards a carry in his Jr year, and stepped it up in his senior year. Jim Zorn must have lost his mind to keep this weapon on the bench, check out this kids talent and speed.

85 yard TD (screen pass)

77 yard TD (inside run)

50 yard TD after hit in backfield (agility)

Kick return

80 yard TD (outside run)

60 yard TD (4th and 1)

Throws for TD

deep pass to Alridge (kid can catch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwf_wN73-zY Draft guys (Spot lights Alridge)

As a junior, he averaged 10 yards per carry. Yep, you read that right. As a senior, he racked up 2000 total yards and nearly 20 TDs. He also ran a 4.37 at the Combine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwf_wN73-zY&feature=fvw the draft guys' profile on Anthony "Quick Six" Alridge.

85 yard TD (very impressive run)

Alridge turns a 4th and 1 into a TD.

I should have read the post, would have saved me a lot of time lol.

but around the board his biggest knock seems to be his "fumblitis"..................... Just genuinley wondering where did this reputation come from? Unless i'm missing something i think he's got way to much upside to be written off as a lost cause as many people on this board seem to think he is, especially considering how highly regarded he seems to be by the head coach.................Anyone have any insight? . . .

You have to take into consideration that this board is filled with 'extreme fans'.

Fans in general aren't the most objective observers.

If a player makes a mistake once=its all the time

If a player makes a mistake twice=they suck

If a player makes a mistake 3 times=his previous career accomlishments are void

A 4th? they're finished as a player

I'm not usually someone to entertain unreasonable expectations, as I'm a realist. But I expect big things from Alridge. How big? Idk, but I expect him to make an impact, and a couple of highlight-reel runs, once he's given a chance and made part of the game plan by a REAL coach who actually knows how to game plan.

I watched him fumble in camp and in preseason games. Was it every time he touched the ball? No. But it was enough to become notable. When you are a young player trying to impress the coaches, the last thing you want to do is make them wonder if they can count on you when the game is on the line.

You have to take into consideration that this board is filled with 'extreme fans'.

Fans in general aren't the most objective observers.

If a player makes a mistake once=its all the time

If a player makes a mistake twice=they suck

If a player makes a mistake 3 times=his previous career accomlishments are void

A 4th? they're finished as a player

Good quote DG! And don't forget if they get cut or leave that they never was any good here and was only a cancer to the team. Sometimes I think a few of them are Philly fans just messing with us :ols:

Archived