Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Guarantees Portis Will Be At Voluntary Workouts

Ellis Dee

I dont blame him for not being motivated last year...

you have fans that dont know football calling you out and turning on you after they have loved you. That would make me see how fake some of yall really are.

#1: We will sharply disagree there. I blame him 100% for not being "motivated" to do the job he is being highly paid for. Which leads me to...

#2: I have absolutely "turned" on Portis, and with good reason. To most people, being "fake" would be saying that a player is working hard, when he really isn't. I call em like I see em. Since we are not relatives, our "love" is conditional:-)

If Portis works hard and performs well for the Redskins in 2010, I will root him on as hard as I can. I still have no respect for dogging it in 2009, no matter what happens in the future.

There are very few people in Redskins history that should never be "turned" on, and Portis isn't one of them.

I have also turned on Portis. Not because of his "antics" or anything like that, I just think as a football player he's declined. Now maybe showing up to the offseason workouts will revitalize him, but I think at this point he's finished. He's got a lot of wear and tear. Hopefully we draft a RB like Hardesty in the mid rounds next month.

His antics as far as not being in shape which is a direct result of not being self motivated/dedicated. Adding to that the fact that he has constantly ran his mouth to the media about his teammates and HC about in-house issues which were obviously uncalled for. I'm not going as far to imply that the man is a cancer. But he needs to assume some accountability and do what's expected of him as a professional. Sure, his production in the past is noted, and speaking for myself, is much appreciated. But quiet as kept, this is 2010, he's 29 years old coming off of a major concussion, and bone spurs in his ankle. Recent reports says that he's cleared by the doctors to participate in workouts. Shanny has given him a public endorsement. Its now up to him to either shut up and man up or ship out. Its really that simple.

For the most part I agree with what your saying and feel the same way. In my opinion some of the media stuff was overblown and hyped up. Who did he run to the media and talk about? He may have answered questions that were asked to him honestly, but that is different than just running to the media and talking about someone.

Some people just arent the type thats going to B.S. you. And I dont have a problem with that. But then again I think our media and country try to be too politicly correct anyway...maybe thats just me.

The perception is that he constantly ran to the media but in reality not once did he ever call out a teammate or say they couldnt get the job done. He said that we dont have an top oline...which was true. He said that JC isnt a vocal leader type...which is true.

Like I said I feel the same way you do for the most part...but saying that he constantly ran to the media just isnt true.

For the most part I agree with what your saying and feel the same way. In my opinion some of the media stuff was overblown and hyped up. Who did he run to the media and talk about? He may have answered questions that were asked to him honestly, but that is different than just running to the media and talking about someone.

Some people just arent the type thats going to B.S. you. And I dont have a problem with that. But then again I think our media and country try to be too politicly correct anyway...maybe thats just me.

The perception is that he constantly ran to the media but in reality not once did he ever call out a teammate or say they couldnt get the job done. He said that we dont have an top oline...which was true. He said that JC isnt a vocal leader type...which is true.

Like I said I feel the same way you do for the most part...but saying that he constantly ran to the media just isnt true.

I'm not implying that what he said was incorrect. Actually, i agreed with alot of what he said. But the point is that these are your teammates. If you need to blow some steam off your chest, then blow it off to your teammates, in private...As far as the media pitching questions to him, ok point taken. But he could have easily gave the "politically correct" response, just to avoid any misunderstanding (example here). He could have shown more restraint in those situations.

It would not pain me to see CP exit Redskins Park. But at the same time. I'd like to see what he can do under Shanny IF he truly does re-dedicate himself to the game.

BTW. Can you imagine what CP must've been saying to his homies while watching Shanny tell the cameras that CP WILL be there?

Probably along the lines of:

"Maaannn, **** him. Ima be there when I wanna be there. I'm Clinton Portis. I run the Redskins. Shanahan........ ain't got nothing....... on me!!!"

It would not pain me to see CP exit Redskins Park. But at the same time. I'd like to see what he can do under Shanny IF he truly does re-dedicate himself to the game.

BTW. Can you imagine what CP must've been saying to his homies while watching Shanny tell the cameras that CP WILL be there?

"Maaannn, **** him. Ima be there when I wanna be there. I'm Clinton Portis. I run the Redskins. Shanahan........ ain't got nothing....... on me!!!"

That is pure BS speculation. CP has laid it on the line for this team. When his relationship with the clown of a head coach in Zorn broke down is when it changed and he was right.

He has hof level talent and both Gibbs and Shanahan recognize it.

still cant believe all the Cp disdain on this board. Cp is extremely motivated to play for shanny and get back to the cp everyone use to love on this board. cp will be in shape, alot ligther, and ready to make a run to the pro bowl this year. When players believe in what they are being asked to do you will be surprised what the results will be. Cp is far from washed up

I still think the double standard exists for Portis. Riggins was notorious for excessive drinking, never was what you would call a workout warrior, and had a crazy personality. I loved him as a player. Clinton is the most talented RB we have ever had in the B&G, maybe not the best, but in the conversation. Give him a good line and a decent QB you will get a HOF performer. I grant you he is not Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Gayle Sayers, or Marshall Faulk (don't laugh look at the stats and the film) but he compares very favorable to the next group of RB's that make up the best of all time. Let's not eat our own, last year sucked on so many levels. Also don't forget, Jim the big dumb@$$ Zorn called Clinton out publicly first and I don't blame CP one bit for dogging him about being a genius coach.

still cant believe all the Cp disdain on this board. Cp is extremely motivated to play for shanny and get back to the cp everyone use to love on this board. cp will be in shape, alot ligther, and ready to make a run to the pro bowl this year. When players believe in what they are being asked to do you will be surprised what the results will be. Cp is far from washed up

Fortunately some of us don't believe everything the D.C media says;)

When he's doing what CP does on the field and the media darling in D.C..I hope he remembers all that crap that Chick Hernandez,Jason Reid,JLC,Brian Mitchell, 106,7,Riggins,The Washington Post and Comcast Sportsnet(Kelli Johnson) said about him and gives the m the middle finger.

You don't even know the man so how can you "imagine" he'd say some crap like that to his "homies". I have no words :chair::chair:

I believe is still has some gas left in the tank. It will be good to see him tag teamed with another running back.

My personel problem with CP is about his off field antics. The crap he says to the media, the throwing of his helmet, the costumes, etc.

That is pure BS speculation. CP has laid it on the line for this team. When his relationship with the clown of a head coach in Zorn broke down is when it changed and he was right.

So players like London Fletcher, Jason Campbell, Andre Carter, Brian Orakpo & Chris Cooley were wrong to keep fighting for every inch? Everyone who laid down should be excused because Jim Zorn was not a good HC? That's crazy!

And by the way, "laying it on the line for the team" starts on Wednesdays, not at 1pm on Sunday. CP's approach reminds me of my son not studying for a test, and then telling me "I tried my hardest" when he gets a bad grade. This is professional football, it takes more than just talent.

You're making excuses for CP. A true professional is just that, a professional, no matter the coach. Play for your teammates instead of throwing them under the bus if you don't want to play for the coach.

BTW. I said that I would like to see him play under Shanny. I loved CP prior to the Zorn "era." I just don't like him constantly running his mouth and then saying "Everything was taken out of context." I'm pretty certain that Shanny will keep him in check. I also think the pursuit of Johnson is a way of sending CP a message. CP needs Shanny more then Shanny needs CP IMO.

Lets hope that is the case but the proof will be in the pudding come training camp.

I still think the double standard exists for Portis. Riggins was notorious for excessive drinking, never was what you would call a workout warrior, and had a crazy personality. I loved him as a player. Clinton is the most talented RB we have ever had in the B&G, maybe not the best, but in the conversation. Give him a good line and a decent QB you will get a HOF performer. I grant you he is not Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Gayle Sayers, or Marshall Faulk (don't laugh look at the stats and the film) but he compares very favorable to the next group of RB's that make up the best of all time. Let's not eat our own, last year sucked on so many levels. Also don't forget, Jim the big dumb@$$ Zorn called Clinton out publicly first and I don't blame CP one bit for dogging him about being a genius coach.

Your on point...I agree with everything u said. People wont even admit or they just dont realize the talent the man has. I never understood why hate one of our own players? Especially the good ones...then those same people will like the average players like Betts, Carter, or Brunell or something

I love Portis.... I think he is a fantastic player and him and Sean Taylor had been my favorites for a long time.

My Problem with Portis is his fixation with money. Everything is MONEY MONEY MONEY. It needs to be about team team team win win win.... "Portis Pockets Straight." "Ofcourse I like Shanahan. He helped me get paid."........ That's what kills me about him.

CP should of never went off like he did, grips go up, not to the media. But what I did get out of what he said about JZ and JC is something a lot of us were thinking already. Of course no other players were going to say anything like this, but I guarantee they were thinking it. They were also playing like it. Just how big of a clown JZ was as a coach, we will never know. Going 4-12 gave us a good idea. There had to be a built in resentment in some of these guys. What CP said is, he had a hard time buying into what ever Zorn try to sell, or he just called him a genius its the same thing. It just came out to the wrong guys at the wrong place. CP should of just let nature take its course cause sooner or later JZ would pull the OL swing gate play on Nat TV not ones but twice :doh: making us a joke of a team for the rest of the season. So now we know Shan believes in him and CP believes in Shan, lets see what happens this year. I promise you we won't see swing gates and 70 percent check downs this year. rant over.

You guys forget that portis IS DONE. Shannahan hasn't really seen it first hand. Portis is a fragment of the running back the Shanny coached many years ago. The biggest reason I wanted portis out this offseason is because when the season gets going and hes benched for tripping over his feet I don't want any issues in the lockerroom. I actually like portis and find him entertaining but beyond occasional fill in role his career is done as a premiere back.

You guys forget that portis IS DONE. Shannahan hasn't really seen it first hand. Portis is a fragment of the running back the Shanny coached many years ago. The biggest reason I wanted portis out this offseason is because when the season gets going and hes benched for tripping over his feet I don't want any issues in the lockerroom. I actually like portis and find him entertaining but beyond occasional fill in role his career is done as a premiere back.

I hope your wrong but you could be right . As of right now, Shan called him a leader, until CP screws up lets trust Shan.

Archived