Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical : Jason Campbell has a legit Pro Bowl year.

HailToTheRedskins14

We all know Campbell has one year left on his contract, and then it is pretty much acknowledged that he will be shown the door or leave on his own. He'll be an Unrestricted Free Agent, meaning he'll be able to do whatever he wants with on consequences.

No one has really thrown out the idea that he could have a great year. Don't bother posting "He won't have a Pro Bowl year so it doesn't matter", that's not the point of this thread. The point is, what if he does have a LEGIT Pro Bowl year. Please understand that LEGIT Pro Bowl year is not what Vince Young had this past year.

What if JC performs like a top 10 QB next year under a new head coach. What if it suddenly clicks for him and he gets great help from other players. We would have to make a strong play to keep him, but has the damage already been done for Campbell in DC? Would we look back on not signing him to a long term contract as a mistake? I think we've done what we had to do, but of course hind sight is 20/20.

I'd like to think he'd consider staying.

He has an entire new coaching staff, which did nothing to hurt him. If he has a pro-bowl, I don't see why he would leave when he's FINALLY having things click for him

Like you mentioned, I think the damage has already been done. No matter what, I can't see JC sticking around after this year (assuming he is even here this year). If he has a "legit Pro Bowl year" then it will be great for all parties involved - the skins would be winning and he would have made himself a much richer man. A fantastic one year performance would probably earn him the franchise tag and then we would trade him.

No one has really thrown out the idea that he could have a great year. Don't bother posting "He won't have a Pro Bowl year so it doesn't matter", that's not the point of this thread. The point is, what if he does have a LEGIT Pro Bowl year. Please understand that LEGIT Pro Bowl year is not what Vince Young had this past year.

This happens every offseason.

What if JC performs like a top 10 QB next year under a new head coach. What if it suddenly clicks for him and he gets great help from other players. We would have to make a strong play to keep him, but has the damage already been done for Campbell in DC? Would we look back on not signing him to a long term contract as a mistake? I think we've done what we had to do, but of course hind sight is 20/20.

No. With a new regime in place, IF JC has a solid year I'm sure he will be compensated accordingly. Snyder won't let valuable assets go especially one that Shanny wants to keep.

If he has a top 10 year next year, JC will be set for the rest of his career with the next contract he gets. He will for sure be starting somewhere, maybe here, hopefully here, so we can draft a QB and groom him while JC keeps things going well. He's probably going to get an above average (for a qb) multi year deal. JC's life pretty much now depends on how he performs next year, and he knows that. If he's good, he's gonna be set on either this team or another team. If he's not, he's going to be regressed to a backup with whoever signs him (maybe even us)

If he has a pro bowl caliber year this year, it could be argued it was a product of the system, and therefore merely a taste of what is to come when a more competent QB stands behind center. Plus, I can't imagine him endearing himself to the organization with all the shenanigans that have surrounded his tenure as a starter. Either way, I am inclined to think he walks.

If he has that type of year, we'll have the cap space to resign him to a deal that keeps in DC for the next 4-5 years minimum. He's already 28, so it's not unrealistic for him to finish his career in DC. Drafting a QB with a high first rounder this would throw a wrench into all of that.

I thought this was suppose to happen last year but we went 4-12...

The only ones who thought the Redskins would be any good last year under Zorn are the same folks that criticize Jason when he was one of the only bright spots on our pathetic 4-12 team. It's like blaming Fletcher for our 4-12 season :doh:

The only ones who thought the Redskins would be any good last year under Zorn are the same folks that criticize Jason when he was one of the only bright spots on our pathetic 4-12 team. It's like blaming Fletcher for our 4-12 season :doh:

Please don't generalize, man. That's a big reason we have so many 10-15 page threads going nowhere because of the so called groups or classes of redskins fans. I personally thought we were going to be better then we were last year, and I don't blame JC 100% for why we weren't. God knows he did his part though.

Are you like a huge JC hater to the point that you can't even discuss a hypothetical question like this without getting weird?

There are plenty of things discussed every year. Congrats on finding out that someone asked this question last year. You've added nothing to the thread.

We would have to make a strong play to keep him, but has the damage already been done for Campbell in DC? Would we look back on not signing him to a long term contract as a mistake? I think we've done what we had to do, but of course hind sight is 20/20.

Jason would hold Snyder's feet over the fire for some serious cash.

If he has a pro bowl caliber year this year, it could be argued it was a product of the system, and therefore merely a taste of what is to come when a more competent QB stands behind center. Plus, I can't imagine him endearing himself to the organization with all the shenanigans that have surrounded his tenure as a starter. Either way, I am inclined to think he walks.

LoL, wow.

If he plays like an elite QB you franchise him. If we are afraid it might have been a one year wonder we make him play on that contract and then look into extending him midseason or after the following season depending on his play. If he proves it was a fluke we either let him walk or franchise/trade if there is a market.

If this happens we might regret having not extended him earlier for dollar reasons but I don't think there is a risk we will lose him if we decide to keep him. That is the whole point of the franchise tag.

We all know Campbell has one year left on his contract, and then it is pretty much acknowledged that he will be shown the door or leave on his own. He'll be an Unrestricted Free Agent, meaning he'll be able to do whatever he wants with on consequences.

If that happens I would say way to go campbell. Then I would sit back and watch the Unicorns flying around having fights with the monkeys. Of course if you did a search you would find a topic just like this one or about 10 of them.

Archived