Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What makes everyone so sure we take QB early in draft???

FatboysSkins

As of right now Quinton Ganther is still a Redskin. So until Shanny decides otherwise or somebody tries to get him from the Skins, he's currently on the active roster and depth chart.

According to the OS, so is the Red Snapper. However, he is an UFA. It appears Ganther is as well.

According to Adam Schefter on Twitter, the Redskins will not offer running back Quinton Ganther a tender, making him an unrestricted free agent. Ganther was a late season standout for the Skins when their entire backfield was injured, but he averaged just 3.2 YPC so there are some concerns. He's just 25 though so there should be plenty of interested clubs.

Well it got us 19-32 with 6-18 in the last 24, wahoo that was worth it.

:doh:

Your non sequitur regarding Campbell is anything but amusing or on point.

As stated multiple times, Campbell is not the answer but not the biggest issue with this team. We have a starting caliber QB (albeit not a good one). We don't have a starting caliber Left Tackle, Right Tackle, Right Guard, and multiple other spots.

Fans myopic QB fascination is getting tiresome.

My first choice would be my initial gut feeling which will involve a lot of trading back and then taking a Tebow or Lefeavor type QB. One with the determination to get it done but is tough and can run and is an athlete ala the only Qb's to ever win the heisman AND stand out in the NFL.

I could see this happening if Bradford is gone. To me Clausen and Brennan are in the same genre of a quarterback. One in the same basically. However Tebow or LeFevour are completely different types of quarterbacks. And, would give the redskins a lot of options at the position. Ala wildcat types of a plays and we could allow them to develop.

I could see this happening if Bradford is gone. To me Clausen and Brennan are in the same genre of a quarterback. One in the same basically. However Tebow or LeFevour are completely different types of quarterbacks. And, would give the redskins a lot of options at the position. Ala wildcat types of a plays and we could allow them to develop.

Clausen is a QB that will be a starter in the NFL. The comparison between McCoy and Brennan is a better analog.

And the Wildcat isn't part of either Shanahan's playbook nor something that is more than a fad. Tebow will go to a team that can "red shirt" him for several years and get him ready to play in the NFL. That M.O. doesn't fit the Skins right now.

Clausen is a QB that will be a starter in the NFL. The comparison between McCoy and Brennan is a better analog.

And the Wildcat isn't part of either Shanahan's playbook nor something that is more than a fad. Tebow will go to a team that can "red shirt" him for several years and get him ready to play in the NFL. That M.O. doesn't fit the Skins right now.

So you don't think McCoy will turn out to be a good pro??

To asnwer the original question is it clear why we are going to draft a QB. We have not extended Jason to a new deal yet and next year he can walk. That gives us one year to let the new guy watch and then take over next year, similar to what San Diego did.

So you don't think McCoy will turn out to be a good pro??

Colt McCoy? Not a chance. Too small, slender frame, no pro-set experience and weak arm.

To asnwer the original question is it clear why we are going to draft a QB. We have not extended Jason to a new deal yet and next year he can walk. That gives us one year to let the new guy watch and then take over next year, similar to what San Diego did.

That is a definite possibility. Another possibility is that Shanahan wants to see if Campbell is a fit for his system before offering any type of contract other than a 1 year tender.

Either way, I do expect a QB to be taken in this years draft. It's not gospel that it will be a 1st round selection though.

I think there are certain patterns you can pick out by seeing who they've talked to. First, I think it's a solid assumption that Shany wants to rebuild the running game and that's a priority for him. With all of the talk about Montario Hardesty, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted him in a mid-round range and look to get him heavily involved by the season. Don't be surprised if he tries to get the run game going before attempting to establish the complex passing offense.

I also think we're going to see a bit of a change in offensive philosophy as far as the running game is concerned because Shanahan is going after bigger linemen like Tony Pashos and he resigned Mike Williams. I think he wants to go bigger than what he did in Denver now that he's not as constricted by the altitude. He was making this change before he got here, since he did draft a huge lineman in Ryan Clady in 2008. Bigger linemen also mean he can incorporate more in line and man blocking and not worry about his line not being able to win their individual matchups. That means guys like Mike Iupati, John Jerry, Anthony Davis, Chris Scott, and Vladimir Ducasse are all very much on the table, and he might try and draft some linemen earlier than he used to.

Lastly, it's become clear as day that we're moving towards a 3-4 front and I would expect us to draft some personnel that match the scheme. Don't be surprised if we take a nose tackle as early as the second round. I wouldn't expect us to take one in the first unless we trade down a bit since Dan Williams isn't very good value at 4 at all.

I like your perspective this is exactly why I started this thread, LOL.:logo:

Either way, I do expect a QB to be taken in this years draft. It's not gospel that it will be a 1st round selection though.

Agree, we could get someone in the 2nd round. If the skins are sold on either Bradford or Clausen then we will draft them in the first round. I think you can trade down a couple of spots in the first round and still get Clausen.

The Lions traded for a DT with Cleveland, so they are not likely to need Suh or McCoy and their next biggest need is OT. I expect Okung to be gone by our pick.

Also, I don't think that bringing in OT's means that we won't still go that direction in the draft.

good point but don't they run a 4-3 defense so they still need another defensive tackle but yet you are right about maybe drafting oline hopefully they take reciever again this year LOL.

What are the chances Bradford or Clausen drop into the second round?

Unless Bradford's shoulder isn't 100% he's a top 5 pick.

Clausen could be taken at #4 or drop to #6 to Seattle, #9 to Buffalo, #10 to Jax, #13 to SF or #14 to Seattle but not further imo unless something drastic happens between now and draft day.

I don't necessarily agree. They said during his year off he studied a lot of different coaches. Belechik, Myers (FL), and the Steelers 3-4. Interesting to see we are changing our defense. Shanahan seems to be a coach capable of evolving.

Colt McCoy? Not a chance. Too small, slender frame, no pro-set experience and weak arm.

That is a definite possibility. Another possibility is that Shanahan wants to see if Campbell is a fit for his system before offering any type of contract other than a 1 year tender.

Thats what I was thinking I still think we go OT, RB, then QB in the 4th. Then draft maybe a right gaurd and OT or DT later on. But who know only Shanny, I love it LOL.

I don't necessarily agree. They said during his year off he studied a lot of different coaches. Belechik, Myers (FL), and the Steelers 3-4. Interesting to see we are changing our defense. Shanahan seems to be a coach capable of evolving.

Shanahan has ran the same WCO since his days in Oak and SF. He is a devotee of Walsh. He isn't about to start adding in the wildcat to an established offense.

Shanahan has always been willing to tinker with defenses but he isn't a defensive minded coach. The switch to 3-4 is instigated by Haslett not Shanny.

Agree, we could get someone in the 2nd round. If the skins are sold on either Bradford or Clausen then we will draft them in the first round.

Outside of Drew Brees and potentially Chad Henne and Kevin Kolb, can anyone name a successful 2nd round QB from this past decade? The bust rate is something like 90% on 2nd rounders...yet there is this misconception that there are capable QBs to be had in the second round. Not true. Only one long term solution at QB from the second round in 10 years? But we're going to be the team that bucks that trend. Riiiiight.

I 100% agree that if Shanny is sold on either Bradford or Clausen, we will draft them, even if it means trading up to #1 to get the guy. You don't pass on the QB, no matter what the other needs are. Unfortunately, just ask Rams fans how it feels to pass on the QB for 2 straight years to go with a heralded lineman. I can only hope that the Rams like whoever Shanny has as the 2nd best QB, because I think we'd have to make a Godfather deal to get to #1.

And if we pass, I hope we trade down to the late 1st and grab the B(OT)A. If we pass on a QB, that is a huge indictment of the QB, and I could see one or both of them taking a Brady Quinn tumble.

Thats what I was thinking I still think we go OT, RB, then QB in the 4th. Then draft maybe a right gaurd and OT or DT later on. But who know only Shanny, I love it LOL.

What is the point of taking a QB in the 4th? Jonathan Crompton is going to defy all logic? I think we have a better chance of having Brennan pan out than a 4th round flyer QB. If we don't get one in the first or second (and I have reservations about 2nd round QBs) save the pick for a G or C or RB or LB in the 4th. A late round QB is just a wasted pick.

Why will we take a QB with our 1st pick?

2 words, Jason Campbell!

We finally have real football men in charge of things which spells bad news for 1 JC, we cannot legitimately fix all of our problems at once, the biggest which is at QB, although there is depth at the O-line position this draft, I don't see that I can't miss stud left tackle, there are 2 very possible franchise QB's, which are tougher to come by than any other position. To further the point, it takes longer to get a QB up to speed with the NFL than it does any other player, with that said it only makes sense to get a head start at that position knowing we are not a super bowl contender at this point, which means our new QB can grow with the rest of the team, and then hopefully they all mature at the right time and become perennial SB contenders.

Outside of Drew Brees and potentially Chad Henne and Kevin Kolb, can anyone name a successful 2nd round QB from this past decade? The bust rate is something like 90% on 2nd rounders...yet there is this misconception that there are capable QBs to be had in the second round. Not true. Only one long term solution at QB from the second round in 10 years? But we're going to be the team that bucks that trend. Riiiiight.

That's a bad argument to make as only 11 QB's have been taken in the 2nd round of the draft since 1999 and 7 of those 11 were taken between the years of 2006-2008 where the QB classes coming out of college were exceptionally bad.

I 100% agree that if Shanny is sold on either Bradford or Clausen, we will draft them, even if it means trading up to #1 to get the guy. You don't pass on the QB, no matter what the other needs are. Unfortunately, just ask Rams fans how it feels to pass on the QB for 2 straight years to go with a heralded lineman. I can only hope that the Rams like whoever Shanny has as the 2nd best QB, because I think we'd have to make a Godfather deal to get to #1.

And if we pass, I hope we trade down to the late 1st and grab the B(OT)A. If we pass on a QB, that is a huge indictment of the QB, and I could see one or both of them taking a Brady Quinn tumble.

I'd be in agreement with you if only we had anyone on the team or anyone in the UFA pool that could even start at LT. A franchise LT is on par with a franchise QB when it comes to need for teams, especially this one with Shanny's offense being very run-pass balanced.

That's a bad argument to make as only 11 QB's have been taken in the 2nd round of the draft since 1999 and 7 of those 11 were taken between the years of 2006-2008 where the QB classes coming out of college were exceptionally bad.

Nine out of the 12 QBs in the playoffs this year were taken before the 34th pick in the draft. Drew Brees is the lone 2nd rounder, and he was of course the first pick of that round.

The exceptions were Warner, Brady, and Romo sits to pee...clearly the outliers. The writing is on the wall. Since the contact rules were changed, its a QB driven league, and the QBs that are winning and reaching the playoffs are overwhelmingly drafted in the first round. We can try and fight the odds, but why?

I'd be in agreement with you if only we had anyone on the team or anyone in the UFA pool that could even start at LT. A franchise LT is on par with a franchise QB when it comes to need for teams, especially this one with Shanny's offense being very run-pass balanced.

I am more confident in Rodger Safford's ability to be an solid LT than McCoy, Tebow, Lefevour, or any other second round or later QB turning out to be an solid QB.

You have a better chance of getting a starting LT in the second round than you do getting a starting QB in the second round. I will passionately agree with that the line is in huge need of repair, but to say that a franchise LT is on par with a franchise QB is simply not true.

Every team with a franchise QB is winning. Not every team with a franchise LT is winning. That doesn't mean to ignore the line, but there are capable starters to be found outside the first round...thats not necessarily the case with QBs.

What are the chances Bradford or Clausen drop into the second round?

Considering how many teams could use a new qb, I'm going with 0.0000001%.

3697557_std.jpg

What are the odds of the Skins grabbing them in the second round? Considering where the Rams pick...

Every team with a franchise QB is winning. Not every team with a franchise LT is winning. That doesn't mean to ignore the line, but there are capable starters to be found outside the first round...thats not necessarily the case with QBs.

This is a completely untrue statement on both accounts. You are dealing in absolutes here when history has proven this to be incorrect.

The basic fact here is that this team needs to get a starting Left Tackle for this year and a QB for the future. Shanahan has had more success with a cast off QB (Plummer) and 3rd round pick (Griese) than the sole 1st round QB (Cutler) he's selected in 14 years as head coach.

This is a completely untrue statement on both accounts. You are dealing in absolutes here when history has proven this to be incorrect.

The basic fact here is that this team needs to get a starting Left Tackle for this year and a QB for the future. Shanahan has had more success with a cast off QB (Plummer) and 3rd round pick (Griese) than the sole 1st round QB (Cutler) he's selected in 14 years as head coach.

What team with a franchise QB is not winning?

Joe Thomas is arguably the best LT in the league, and his team sucks because of terrible QB play.

Unless you can name the team with a franchise QB that is losing, both statements are true. And of course this is not mutually exclusive. But the single biggest need we have is to solve the QB issue. There is no reason to delay solving this issue, especially when the solutions to our other problems can be found outside the first round.

Look, at the end of the day, I am going to be excited by our first pick which is either going to be a LT or a QB. If its LT, while I will be disappointed that there was no QB worth taking and we are going to be at the mercy of the draft next year, we will have a stud LT...who isn't going to be excited by that. And of course I am going to be excited if its a QB, especially when he is paired with a new tackle from the 2nd round.

But say we had the 1st pick of the draft and we can't trade out of it, do you really think Shanahan would take Okung over Bradford or Clausen? No chance in hell.

Archived