Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What makes everyone so sure we take QB early in draft???

FatboysSkins

UMMMM..... Let's see here since shanny/allen have taken over they have seemed to make every good move to benifit our beloved skins. Everyone has speculated on what they're going to do and what they should do and pretty much so far everyone has been pretty much wrong (brodcasters that is). Everyone had the skins to chase after every big name in free agency. Everyone from peppers,dansby, sproiles, rolle etc.... but yet we went after a OT that we didn't even get signed. Here's the point I'm trying to make they were so wrong about our FA approach what makes them think they know what are draft approach is going to be. They are so certain that shanny will take bradford if he's there how do they know for certain. He has been great so far at not revealing his intentions until he does it. What if he see's something in Campbell and doesn't like the fact that every top name QB has an injury coming out of the draft. What if he decides to draft a OT rd1, HB rd2, then a QB in the 4th to push campbell and see what he is capable of and if he doesn't like what he see's then address it next year. I'm just throwing the idea out there to hear your responses, IMO this idea doesn't seem so far fetch looking at how we approached the season so far. We've definently had a keep it in house approach LOL.:logo:

Perhaps you are right. I think that the pursuit of Tackles in FA signals the fact that Shanny wants to free up the 4th pick on something other than a LT. The only other thing is QB. Its easier to draft a QB when you shored up your line with a LT or two in FA.

Perhaps you are right. I think that the pursuit of Tackles in FA signals the fact that Shanny wants to free up the 4th pick on something other than a LT. The only other thing is QB. Its easier to draft a QB when you shored up your line with a LT or two in FA.

Or maybe he is just trying to fix a beatin and bruised O-line to protect Campbell to actually give him a good look. But I do like your veiw point.

UMMMM..... Let's see here since shanny/allen have taken over they have seemed to make every good move to benifit our beloved skins. Everyone has speculated on what they're going to do and what they should do and pretty much so far everyone has been pretty much wrong (brodcasters that is). Everyone had the skins to chase after every big name in free agency. Everyone from peppers,dansby, sproiles, rolle etc.... but yet we went after a OT that we didn't even get signed. Here's the point I'm trying to make they were so wrong about our FA approach what makes them think they know what are draft approach is going to be. They are so certain that shanny will take bradford if he's there how do they know for certain. He has been great so far at not revealing his intentions until he does it. What if he see's something in Campbell and doesn't like the fact that every top name QB has an injury coming out of the draft. What if he decides to draft a OT rd1, HB rd2, then a QB in the 4th to push campbell and see what he is capable of and if he doesn't like what he see's then address it next year. I'm just throwing the idea out there to hear your responses, IMO this idea doesn't seem so far fetch looking at how we approached the season so far. We've definently had a keep it in house approach LOL.:logo:

Actually you are totally right in your post, NOONE knows what the FO is going to do in the draft or free agency, I hope we can keep Campbell and build the OLINE get a speed/power RB and a couple of good LB.

But I also like that Shannahan is making everyone fight for their position including Jason Campbell, the fact is that competition makes you better week in and week out because you know your job is on the line.

But be prepared because ALL of the draft and QB experts here on ES are coming LOL.........

RED06

The other thing is we probablly have options right now depending on how free agency goes. So far we struck out with the tackle from Green Bay. That's the other interesting part about free agency. If we were to land a couple of those linemen, then yes, I think we can more aggressively look at a qb early on. Now that we have yet to shore up O-line our draft day focus may me more dialed in to that approach.

It's still a wait and see approach. While all the unrestricted free agents get scooped, don't forget we are still probablly manning the phone lines looking for potential trades for the restricted agents.

My point was he was the best on the open market. It was our due diligence to look at him. Right now he's better then what we have, which is nothing. If our front office wanted to take a qb early, I'd think we'd have to plug those holes. We have yet to do that, so for me, it seems a lot less likely we can rationalize taking a qb early with no O-line in place.

If he would of signed as well as this Pashos guy, then yes, potentially can get that qb because we have a few experienced players already in position. The guy from GB wasn't a bad tackle either. He'd been to the Pro Bowl, and as far as last year he allowed 4 sacks all season and I think i read like 17 hurries. Not god awful considering how much Rodgers threw the ball.

Doesn't matter of course he isn't coming. Again, I wasn't talking about the lineman really anyway, was only making a point with the thread being about taking a qb. Unless we have some linemen in place come draft day, I think it's a horrible idea to take an early qb.

I think the Redskins need to get their hands on some high quality Olinemen somehow or another. Get the best Olineman in the draft and maybe another real good one in free agency. One more in the lower rounds of the draft too.

The Redskins have GOT to invest in some bigtime Olinemen. This needs to the be "the year of the Hogs". The year that the Redskins finally put together an OLINE group that is respected by just about everyone in the NFL. I want some big, nasty, super agile Hogs that are excellent QB body guards in pass protection and are road grader beasts in the running game.

I agree redskinsguy, I think the talent pool being as small as it is for O-line players in the free agent market, we spend alot of time shoring that up in the draft. From the looks of things we will probablly have Campbell for this season, so draft 2 or 3 lineman... let them get a year of exp. Then next year we can take that first round qb.

My point was he was the best on the open market. It was our due diligence to look at him. Right now he's better then what we have, which is nothing. If our front office wanted to take a qb early, I'd think we'd have to plug those holes. We have yet to do that, so for me, it seems a lot less likely we can rationalize taking a qb early with no O-line in place.

If he would of signed as well as this Pashos guy, then yes, potentially can get that qb because we have a few experienced players already in position. The guy from GB wasn't a bad tackle either. He'd been to the Pro Bowl, and as far as last year he allowed 4 sacks all season and I think i read like 17 hurries. Not god awful considering how much Rodgers threw the ball.

Doesn't matter of course he isn't coming. Again, I wasn't talking about the lineman really anyway, was only making a point with the thread being about taking a qb. Unless we have some linemen in place come draft day, I think it's a horrible idea to take an early qb.

You make good points but the new leadership might think alot of the players we already have will flourish in the new system. We could still get a QB at 4 having four other picks.

I hope we don't take a QB with the #4. If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to, I would prefer Bradford over Clausen, but I think the rams are making a play to go after Bradford, and noboby gets to go until the rams, so i'm fairly sure if they want him they got him. That leaves Clausen at #4. And like said in the beginning I hope we don't take a QB with the #4. (Hopefully there's some value players in the later rounds that MS & BA have their eyes on).

"O'line in 2010" (If vinny had done it last year, like he should have, my chant would rhyme). :D

Their approach is surely interesting. My take on this is that Clifton was most likely using the Skins for his own contract leverage. I'm sure the Skins had some interest but I doubt he was their primary target at LT. If so, they would have made sure they signed him with the right financial package.

Don't discount the fact that we now only have ONE RB one the roster. If they can adddress the o-line in free agency, using restriced or unrestricted free agents, maybe they fool everyone and draft CJ Spiller in the first round and address the o-line in the second.

It will surely be interesting to see how this all plays out. One thing is readily apparent, there is a plan in place and it is being executed.

My first choice would be my initial gut feeling which will involve a lot of trading back and then taking a Tebow or Lefeavor type QB. One with the determination to get it done but is tough and can run and is an athlete ala the only Qb's to ever win the heisman AND stand out in the NFL.

Yeah, we really have no idea what is going to happen. Maybe we take Okung in the 1st and then take Tebow in the 2nd. Heck, we might even be surprised and be like WTF over some draft picks. "Why in the hell did we draft a TE? We have Cooley and Davis! Do we really need three TEs?" lol

Don't discount the fact that we now only have ONE RB one the roster. If they can adddress the o-line in free agency, using restriced or unrestricted free agents, maybe they fool everyone and draft CJ Spiller in the first round and address the o-line in the second.

Good to know, cuz apparently the Skins feel different...seeing as how currently on the roster there are 4 rb's and Mike Sellers. Oh, who are the rb's you ask? Here ya go...

Clinton Portis

Anthony Alridge

Quinton Ganther

PJ Hill

http://www.redskins.com/team/

I still want a rb drafted this year, maybe Best in round 2 or Blount in the 4th round...but there is more than just ONE RB on the roster.

My first choice would be my initial gut feeling which will involve a lot of trading back and then taking a Tebow or Lefeavor type QB. One with the determination to get it done but is tough and can run and is an athlete ala the only Qb's to ever win the heisman AND stand out in the NFL.

I have to say, when I was watching Tebow on Total Access with Steve Mariucci and Mike Mayock, I came away very impressed with how he carried himself. He came across as extremely bright, confident, determined and passionate about football. I guess he's a high risk high reward player, but he sure does seem like the type of guy who won't quit until he is one of the best. He seems like a QB that could really charge up his teammates and elevate their play.

I have to agree War Paint, I mean, I wasn't a fan of Tebow's in college or anything, but watching the combine and stuff, he did come across as someone who's gonna do everything in their power. Intangibles they called it.

With the rumors that Shanny wants to groom a qb or find his qb project, in my mind if tebow falls to the 2nd or beyond I can see us scooping him up. I'd be curious to say the least to see what Shanny could do with him.

I hope we do personally. I think we need a new face and leader for this team and hopefully that person will be Sam Bradford.

Some things that give me hope:

Signing Lorenzo Alexander to an extension

Some things that leave me worried:

Releasing Ganther and Collins. I don't see the logic in it at all.

I like the OP's plan, I just dont know if a 4th round QB will "push" Cambell enough. As much as I hate to get the Cult people going, Colt Brennan may push JC more than a 4th rounder.

With that said, I think if Bradford is available at 4, then they grab him. If not, Oline. I would like to imagine we wont be picking in the top 10 for years to come, so this is our last chance to grab a stud QB.

Ideally, I would like to see some draft magic happen. Trades that would allow us to grab Oline in rd#1, QB rd#2, Oline via trade in rd #3, RB rd #4.

I think the Redskins need to get their hands on some high quality Olinemen somehow or another. Get the best Olineman in the draft and maybe another real good one in free agency. One more in the lower rounds of the draft too.

The Redskins have GOT to invest in some bigtime Olinemen. This needs to the be "the year of the Hogs". The year that the Redskins finally put together an OLINE group that is respected by just about everyone in the NFL. I want some big, nasty, super agile Hogs that are excellent QB body guards in pass protection and are road grader beasts in the running game.

Shanny doesn't use the type of oline guys you need to battle to draft. That and what are you going to do play three rooks on the oline? Yeah that will work, not.

I love the way they go through and get the guys that don't fit elsewhere. He did in Denver and he will do it here. His oline needs to be able to run block in his scheme and not a lot of guys can play like that.

Go get the franchise QB in the draft EARLY and get some Vets with something to prove to shore up the oline.

Clausen Or Bradford will be the pick. If Bradford is gone it'll be Clausen. But as crazy as this sounds I think after all the dust settles I think the rams go for Clausen based on being more pro-ready than Bradford. If Clausen is there at No#4 the skins take him which would be better for us since he was being coach by Weis. I beleve we address the OL in later rounds.

Good to know, cuz apparently the Skins feel different...seeing as how currently on the roster there are 4 rb's and Mike Sellers. Oh, who are the rb's you ask? Here ya go...

Clinton Portis

Anthony Alridge

Quinton Ganther

PJ Hill

http://www.redskins.com/team/

I still want a rb drafted this year, maybe Best in round 2 or Blount in the 4th round...but there is more than just ONE RB on the roster.

Some things that leave me worried:

Releasing Ganther and Collins. I don't see the logic in it at all.

Did we release Ganther while I was in the shower? :whoknows:

Archived