Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Prediction: OT, QB & RB with 1st, 2nd, & 4th

skinsfanno9

Given the distribution of talent in this draft that seems pretty spot on.

There is a franchise LT that will probably be available at #4 in Okung.

There is no franchise quarterback but Pike and LeFevour are lurking after pick 32.

There are a bevy of middle round running backs that will be taken. There is no Adrian Peterson in this draft but a lot of backs that will be on NFL rosters in 2010.

Not happening chief, Detroit just got a DT so now will be most likely looking at protecting their young QB with the highest rated LT in this draft....(notice I didn't say premier bcos Okung is not a Franchise LT, he just will be a good one)

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010recap.php"]http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010recap.php[/url]

Lions acquire DT Corey Williams and 2010 7th-rounder from Browns for 2010 5th-rounder

This is a huge trade. Corey Williams has just five sacks in the last two years, and only two late-round picks were involved, but this deal could change the entire landscape of the 2010 NFL Draft.

Williams used to be considered a very good defensive tackle. As a 320-pound lineman, Williams mustered two consecutive seven-sack seasons for the Packers in 2006 and 2007. A monstrous defensive tackle who can get to the quarterback is a rarity, which is why the Browns signed Williams to a 6-year, $38.6 million deal in February 2008.

Williams has struggled the past two seasons in Cleveland's 3-4. He was clearly miscast as a 3-4 end, but now that he's in a 4-3 defense again, he should revert back to 2007 form.

With the addition of Williams, defensive tackle is no longer a need for the Lions; they now have Williams and Sammie Lee Hill, who was very impressive as a rookie last year.

Russell Okung has become the favorite to go No. 2 overall. Okung makes a lot more sense than Ndamukong Suh; defensive tackles rarely are selected in the top three picks of the NFL Draft because the position isn't very important when compared to quarterback, left tackle and defensive end.

Even if Jim Schwartz wants to put Suh in a rotation with Williams and Hill, it'll be very difficult for him to do so from a fiscal perspective. Williams is in Year 3 of this $38.6 million contract. Do the Lions really want to add another massive contract to the interior of the defensive line? Dedicating that much money to the defensive tackle position would be really financially irresponsible.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're wrong, no offense. If we sign a QB like Grossman who knows Kyle's offense, chances are at minimum those first two picks will be o-line. Everyone we're going after is 30 or older, so drafting a center at 4th, guard at 2nd, and LT at 1st wouldn't shock me at all. Shanny is notorious for picking up running backs in last rounds or off the street rookies for 1000 yard season.

Just disagreeing with you, man. No harm, no foul.

I disagree with both of you. We're looking at every O-lineman in the market because we know we aren't going OL with the first pick. We're going QB. Bradford if he's there and Clausen if he's not. Grossman would be merely coming in as a vet that knows the system to help mentor.

The Washington Redskins will never have a franchise QB. The nature of Washington's fans won't let it happen. The next franchise guy we attempt to get could be a star anywhere else but here the demands of the crowd and the love of things like QB controversy would turn him into a basketcase.

My sentiments exactly! The unbelievable amount of pressure this fanbase puts on its QBs will ensure that a prototypical franchise QB will never materialize here, no matter who we draft.

We'd best go OT with the first pick if we know whats good for us, or else we'll be staring at another horrible o-line and a ruined QB.

I think we could see a 3-4 D# player early....I wouldn't be supriced if we end up with a NT like Cody, Thomas or Joseph, so we can kick Big Al outside (Jarmon-NT-Albert H.). A OLB like Sapp, Kindle, Huges, Misi or Selvie (then we can trade Carter, maby).

Or even Brandon Spikes if we don't sign a ILB this offseason.

At this point it is even possible that we draft Suh or McCoy (not the QB) because the Lions could be leaning towards a LT named Okung. If the Rams then drafted Sam Bradford and Shanahan doesn't like Jimmy then we need to go BPA, you don't pass up for a talent like McCoy or Suh so you can draft a Bulaga, Campbell or Berry(makes some sence). But I could see a team like Denver, Patriots, Chargers, (Vikings) then willing to trade with us.....Bruce will have a possible deal in place before the draft starts if this senario happens.

We will see what happens.

You're living in fantasy land. The FA OL guys out there are mostly crap. One of the better guys was Clifton, who is decent but nothing special, and he was just re-signed by the Packers. So exactly how are we going to "fill all of the OL holes before draft time"? Our OL is already made up mostly of guys off the street or other teams' castoffs. Can we get a couple decent backups? Probably. Starting quality guys? Very unlikely.

So you want to have a starting oline full of rooks?

Again the type of oline guys Shanny uses are not the typical guys. We will be fine and the two positions I am not worried about are OL and RB. It's Shanny's specialty so let it go and trust him.

So you want to have a starting oline full of rooks?

Again the type of oline guys Shanny uses are not the typical guys. We will be fine and the two positions I am not worried about are OL and RB. It's Shanny's specialty so let it go and trust him.

Considering the amout of teams that use the ZBS now, they are in demand. Not like it was 10 years ago when Denver was the only team running it. And he still goes after top tier LT's (Clady) in the first round. So yeah, he might very well go after one with the first pick and probably should.

Besides, do you see anything on the FA market at this time that is even remotely decent? Just where do you think we're going to get upgrades? Guys that are older than the ones we cut? Fact is our tackles last year ranked 70th and 75th out of 77 in the entire NFL. Our Center was 25th in the league. With our guards, Dockery was ranked 23th (actually pretty decent) and the next best guy on our team apparently was Will Montgomery at 58th. Williams would have been 69th if he had enough starts. Dude, it's attrocious how bad our line is.

So, tell me this. Our line as it is now is horrid. You cant deny that. This FA class is old and devoid of talent, and we just missed on the best guy in the class (Clifton). So, how do you propose to rebuild it? Is starting rookies that were drafted high worse that starting UDFA's or guys off the street? Like we did last year? Seriously?

:silly:

The Washington Redskins will never have a franchise QB. The nature of Washington's fans won't let it happen. The next franchise guy we attempt to get could be a star anywhere else but here the demands of the crowd and the love of things like QB controversy would turn him into a basketcase.

That's not true. Most of us fans just want a QB to get it done consistently. We haven't had that in years.

There is no franchise quarterback but Pike and LeFevour are lurking after pick 32.

After seeing Tebow on Total Access, I really think he could be a franchise QB. I was interested in Pike. I heard that he lacks passion though. When I saw Pike on Total Access, I have to say what I heard might be true. He seemed kind of emotionless and unenthusiastic about football when he was talking. I don't know much about LeFevour.

That's not true. Most of us fans just want a QB to get it done consistently. We haven't had that in years.

Exactly, we always get QBs that are JUST ok......We RARELY have a STUD QB come in and get the job done. I think the "pressure" that us fans supposedly put on our QBs is a result of us wanting to see them get over the mediocrecy (sp?) hump. It's not like we're a franchise that is use to having all of these legendary QBs, so whatever QB comes in we expect them to play to some HOF level.

So, tell me this. Our line as it is now is horrid. You cant deny that. This FA class is old and devoid of talent, and we just missed on the best guy in the class (Clifton). So, how do you propose to rebuild it? Is starting rookies that were drafted high worse that starting UDFA's or guys off the street? Like we did last year? Seriously?

Looks like Team Shanny has a plan and I trust it. You still can't start a bunch of rooks at oline and expect to do anything.

Once they draft the franchise QB I will be happy with anything else they do

If Bradford is there... he's ours. Plain and simple. If he's gone, THEN I think things get interesting. Hopefully there will be trade down possibilities.

Just like everyone had us going after Peppers or Dansby plane and simple? Anything right now is a guess which is the way it should be and I love it! So keep guessing everyone! lol

Looks like Team Shanny has a plan and I trust it. You still can't start a bunch of rooks at oline and expect to do anything.

Dude UDFA are guys that are rookies, just not good enough to get drafted. We started those last year. Guys that are working in a power plant after being out of the league for years are probably worse. We started that last year as well, at 2 positions. So, we DID do that. Now address the question, where are we going to get these upgrades from. Unless of course you actually dont have a freakin' clue.

And what happens to your "faith" in "the plan" if Shanny goes OL with the 4th pick? Or we trade down and pick up a couple of picks and go OL/OL? Hm?

No one will agree with this, but I wouldnt be pissed if we drafted Tim and let him ride the bench for one season, and we keep JC. That dude has a chip on his sholder and is very determined to be a great QB.

Depends on where he is drafted. I'd use a 5th on him, but nothing higher. He's probably a 3 year project to get him ready if he even can.

Dude UDFA are guys that are rookies, just not good enough to get drafted. We started those last year. Guys that are working in a power plant after being out of the league for years are probably worse. We started that last year as well, at 2 positions. So, we DID do that. Now address the question, where are we going to get these upgrades from. Unless of course you actually dont have a freakin' clue.

And what happens to your "faith" in "the plan" if Shanny goes OL with the 4th pick? Or we trade down and pick up a couple of picks and go OL/OL? Hm?

He might be taking a QB in the second such as LeFevour or Tebow so that could work too. Either way I trust they will build this team right. Will it happen overnight? Hell no but again IMO first thing to do is set up the QB position for success. If that means drafting the franchise QB and bringing in a guy who knows the offense to help them then great!

I think your biggest issue is it looks bad for JC being here much longer. Now if you want to go out and get rooks for the oline and let JC taking the pounding while the franchise QB gets ready that could work :D

You don't draft a "franchise QB". You draft a guy you hope can possibly become one one day. Did you ever stop to think that maybe Shanahan and Allen don't see as much potential in the top QBs in the draft as you do? If you trust their plan then you trust their plan. That means you would have to trust it if they decided to pass on a QB and go OT or trade down at #4.

You don't draft a "franchise QB". You draft a guy you hope can possibly become one one day. Did you ever stop to think that maybe Shanahan and Allen don't see as much potential in the top QBs in the draft as you do? If you trust their plan then you trust their plan. That means you would have to trust it if they decided to pass on a QB and go OT or trade down at #4.

Ever think maybe they think Colt is it?

and I can't disagree more on the drafting of a franchise QB

Ever think maybe they think Colt is it?

and I can't disagree more on the drafting of a franchise QB

Maybe Colt is. But didn't Shanny recently say he hadn't really even watched any tape of Colt?

As far as "disagree"...about what? That you can't draft a guy and immediately assume he is going to be a "franchise QB" just because he was drafted high? That maybe Shanny and Allen don't see the top two guys the same way you do?

He might be taking a QB in the second such as LeFevour or Tebow so that could work too. Either way I trust they will build this team right. Will it happen overnight? Hell no but again IMO first thing to do is set up the QB position for success. If that means drafting the franchise QB and bringing in a guy who knows the offense to help them then great!

I think your biggest issue is it looks bad for JC being here much longer. Now if you want to go out and get rooks for the oline and let JC taking the pounding while the franchise QB gets ready that could work :D

There dont look to be any great QB's in this draft IMO. Shoreing up your OL that is the worst in the league, however, would be a very good way to "set up the QB position for success". If it means keeping the current QB and giving him something to work with, how do you feel about that? I'm interested because you say your a fan, but alot of what you post is either fairly delusional, or not really "fanlike".

If Shanny goes QB with the 4th pick, I'll hope the guys becomes great. If he goes LT with the 4th pick, I'll hope he becomes great. If we trade down and get a couple guys I hope they'll become great. My eggs are not in one basket, like yours are. Yours are in "JC is the worst QB and we have to get rid of him" and that is neither correct nor is open to mulitple possibilites. Try taking the blinders off. It helps. Really.

My reasons for going after a LT and OL early in this draft dont really have much to do with JC. Actually the have about as much to do with him as Colt, Grossman, (:doh:) Bradford or whoever is playing QB. I'm a line guy. I think you build great teams by having lines on both sides of that ball that can dominate. Build from the trenches out on O and D. It's not about JC, although I think if you give a NFL line he'll produce. So why go after shiney things like a cool ass stereo and mag wheels for the car when your engine wont start? It's a car, if it dont take you anywhere, the other stuff is wasted on it. So fix the engine.

Build the lines.

Remember the Ass-u-me thing? Take some of your own advice.

Why would we go RB this year with so many needs? We have CP and we could always sign Westbrooke or even better Thomas Jones who is still a stud! We need to be aggressive trading the likes of Carlos Rogers for OL, or landry since we are stacked at SS. We need to sign Ryan Clark asap as our FS and trade Landry since he has value.

Why would we go RB this year with so many needs? We have CP and we could always sign Westbrooke or even better Thomas Jones who is still a stud! We need to be aggressive trading the likes of Carlos Rogers for OL, or landry since we are stacked at SS. We need to sign Ryan Clark asap as our FS and trade Landry since he has value.

CP is toast IMO. Jones I'd like, but how much would he cost? I wouldnt mind Westbrook but only as a 3rd down back (where he is still very effective and shouldnt get dinged up as much).

But the fact is we do need a younger starter than a bunch of 30 year old guys past their prime and dont have much in the tank. And this draft is very deep in RB's. Landry is a FS, just get him to play under control. I dont see us trading Rogers either. LB has more holes than the secondary does acutally.

Archived