Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland OT Bruce Campbell = Redskin?

TGW21

I like him if he lasts untill #37 but not before. Physically he's got prototypical size and great athleticism. Haven't seen any of his games but I've read he is inconsistent and has trouble with his knee bend. Obviously things that can be worked out especially since he's only a junior but I don't want to get sucked into the hype because of a fast 40 time. I don't think Bruce or any other OT is going to be running too many 40's on Sunday.

here is a profile I found on Campbell

THE HUDDLE REPORT

Bruce Campbell OT Maryland

TALENT BOARD Round 4

STRENGTHS

Bruce is a big, tall, long-armed offensive tackle who has good overall athletic talent to play his position. He has quick feet and the athletic talent to mirror his opponent when covering the blind side of his QB. Bruce has enormous talent to go along with his enormous size; unfortunately, it takes more than talent to play in the NFL.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Right now, Bruce plays at a decent level only because of his athletic talent. His techniques are very immature and his play is lazy at times. He does not play with mental stamina; he plays too high, can be handled very easily as well as fooled and set up for a big play. Bruce plays way too high when he run blocks. He has the talent and athletic ability to block at the second level and be used as a pulling tackle, but does not seem to have the energy. Bruce is the type of player that if he is "coached up" could be a Pro Bowl left tackle. (I hate that expression, "coached up".)

BOTTOM LINE

A coach who has the ego the size of a walrus is going to fall in love with this kid because Bruce is a challenge. Bruce has 1st round talent, but 4th round mental stamina, work ethic and maturity. I would consider Bruce as a possible right tackle in the future. Unfortunately, for the NFL, I would not consider him as a possible left tackle until he matures on the field. The expression that we hear all the time is that you can "coach up" a player like Bruce, which is usually their justification for drafting a player like this in the first round. It stands to reason that if a player is not reaching (or trying to reach) his potential at the college level that you can "coach him up" until you're blue in the face and it's not going to happen at the NFL level. Bruce is young and has not played the left tackle position until this year. If he stayed in for one more year and showed improvement, I would then have to consider him as a possible 1st round draft choice. To suggest he is a first round choice because of his size and athletic ability right now is a trap that I believe too many scouts, GM's and coaches fall into when evaluating players for the draft. In my opinion, it's the reason we have so many first round busts. Years ago, it didn't matter if the first rounder was a bust. Nowadays, your first round pick has to be a starter and at least be productive or, in most cases, your team looks to make a change in front office or coaching. Bruce is a boom or bust player - it's just that simple. The question is this... is Bruce mature enough to handle first round money and improve his work ethic, techniques, mental strength and physical stamina to become the left tackle his talents suggest that he can become? He is a pure tackle and they are hard to find! But, is he a right tackle or left tackle? Anybody remember Langston Walker? He made a lot of money in the NFL before everyone realized that he could not be "coached up"!

Drew Boylhart 1/10

here is a profile I found on Campbell

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Right now, Bruce plays at a decent level only because of his athletic talent. His techniques are very immature and his play is lazy at times. He does not play with mental stamina; he plays too high, can be handled very easily as well as fooled and set up for a big play.

BOTTOM LINE

A coach who has the ego the size of a walrus is going to fall in love with this kid because Bruce is a challenge. Bruce has 1st round talent, but 4th round mental stamina, work ethic and maturity.

:doh:

He was far from "awful" at UMD....but he is very raw as a prospect.

I watched a decent number of UMD games and, while I certainly think "awful" is going too far, he is extremely inconsistent. Right now he is all upside and in college seemed to pretty much exclusively use his athleticism when playing Tackle. That is going to be very far from something he will be able to do in the NFL. The injury concerns are another thing. I think he could be a good project in the pros, but he is far from a guy like Okung or Davis who you could likely put in at LT from day one.

I watched a decent number of UMD games and, while I certainly think "awful" is going too far, he is extremely inconsistent. Right now he is all upside and in college seemed to pretty much exclusively use his athleticism to play LT. That is going to be very far from something he will be able to do in the NFL. The injury concerns are another thing. I think he could be a good project in the pros, but he is far from a guy like Okung or Davis who you could likely put in at LT from day one.

I agree completely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/some-still-have-bruce-campbell-low-on-the-board/

Some still have Bruce Campbell low on the board

Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2010 3:37 PM ET

Despite the eye-popping 4.78-second 40-yard dash generated by non-donut-eating Bruce Campbell in the donut run and his 34 reps in the 225-pound bench press, Campbell isn't a lock to be taken in the top ten.

He's not even a lock to be taken in round one.

One league source tells us that multiple teams have applied a round-four grade on Campbell, based on evaluation of his college game film. Another league source described Campbell's game film as "terrible."

NFL FO's have him as a 4th round guy a "TERRIBLE" and some of ES has him in the 2nd....or late 1st if we can trade back. Makes you wonder how off some of ES is with the talent already on the roster:)

An annonymous quote on PFT does not mean that every FO has him with a fourth round grade. I agree that ES isn't nearly as good at evaluating talent as we all like to think we are but FO's grade players very differently.

Not a huge Bruce fan but in his defence shannahan's version of the ZBS would allow a guy like him to thrive. It eliminates the need to have a mauler they simpley need to get in the way, gaining ground is a bonus. If you guys remember clady had some of the same knocks. Understand I am not endorsing Bruce at 4 (like it matters what I endorse) but he could be good in our scheme and should be considered in the second or if we trade back. I personally prefer Trent and buluga.

Sigh....... Trent or Buluga instead of Bruce not at 4. 4 is Bradford unless he isn't there. If Bradford isn't there trade back if we can't okung is a viable option.

Sigh? Read again... you definitely implied that youd take bulaga or trent at 4. we can't just trade back by snapping our fingers. so who do you think we should take if we cant trade back and bradford is gone?

LAXPUNK very true and CBYBAMMA do we really need anymore "challanges" on this team...QB RB SS and 3rd string QB....who knows maybe Shannahan can polish him up maybe your right time will soon tell.

I just think his ceiling is high enough where it would be worth it, probably the highest ceiling for any ZBS tackle in the draft. Would take developing though. but he's being called "lazy" and not enough "mental stamina". Those issues can definitely be solved by Shanahan. Zorn, on the other hand, wouldn't be able to break him.

Sigh? Read again... you definitely implied that youd take bulaga or trent at 4. we can't just trade back by snapping our fingers. so who do you think we should take if we cant trade back and bradford is gone?

Your right that's exactly what I meant to say, wow good thing your here to tell me what I am thinking. How about you just post for me. Are you sure about that trading back migh be a problem, I don't know about that I mean usually you can easily force 3rd parties to do what you want. That's why I didn't bother to include another option at 4. Thank you again please feel free to tell me what I am thinking at any time cuz I sure don't know. Of course if I really expressed what I was thinkIng I would most likely get banned.

I seriously want Mike Iupati if he is still there with our 2nd

yeah he's going to be a solid player, I was surprised at how quick he is with his feet. He has great mechanics and doesn't bounces around. He has to go in the late first round.

Archived