Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many snaps did Albert Haynesworth participate in during the 2009 Season?

Ned Flanders

He caught a lot of unfair crap from certain fans and the media for not playing enough when he was playing more snaps than he did in Tenn and more snaps than anyone on the DL except Carter. It really was not fair. So what if he walks real slow off the field or kneels down on the sideline. What I saw was a guy giving 110% when on the field against at least a double team on virtually every down. I'd be tired too if I was going one on two on every play....so would you. And reportedly, Blache prevented him from doing some of the stuff he does best...pursuing the QB from the inside rush position.

Both Cerrato and Blache noted he was playing 60-70 percent of his snaps until he got hurt at the end of the season. I don't count missing snaps from a legitimate injury.

Man, you said it brother.

The criticism this man was getting last year from far too many people really bothered me. All I saw when Big Al was on the field was a man who fought with all his heart on every snap. I prefer him to take snaps off, so he can be 100% when he is in there.. I dont prefer him to take games off but I sure understand it.

For me, when you see a guy play as hard and as focused as him you tend to just trust the guys judgment on how often and when he should be in there. I think its kind of crazy to sit in front of our tv and call this guy out because he is taking a break from pushing 600 pounds of men around a football field every snap.

When he takes a game off I almost find my self thinking "good, get some rest man and come back next week and crush people" Although I know we need him in there more then 12 games. But sometimes with guys this big and tough, its just not feasible. Still, I know, he should be in there.

Long story short, I dont like to see Al missing games and hope he is able to stick it out all season, but I am happy with his performance and more importantly extremely happy with his EFFORT last season.

It just seems like some people want this guy to be a bust so badly that they lose site of what he really did last year. He played well, really well. He is still the best DT in the league bar none and had our D-cord been more aggressive the big three Al, Andre & Orakpo would have had way more sacks.

Haynesworth, we all knew he wouldn't play more than 3/4ths of a season. Look at his history.

Great call on singing him to a ridiculous contract, just like it was with Mark Brunell.

Oh for ****'s sake. It was a reasonable enough contract and we got exactly what we paid for. The only thing you can justifiably hate on Haynesworth for is being melodramatic.

The Redskins had one of the best pass rushes they've had in recent years, while playing in a much more conservative defense than normal.

So, you think it's just coincidence that Haynesworth happened to join the team at the same time that happened?

I don't get people that think Haynesworth didn't do anything last season. It's no coincidence that Orakpo and Carter both got double-digits sacks at the same time Big Al showed up. And we knew before he started here that he wouldn't play in every single game, he's so valuable that he's still worth it. Teams have to gameplan around him, how many more players can we say that about on this team?

Haynesworth is a waste of space. The game is only 60 minutes long and he's playing 50% or so of the snaps on defense? That figures out to about 4 hours of work a year because we know the fat **** doesn't practice.

That's way too much money for one guy that doesn't perform. So what the guy shows up every now and then on fourth down. You gonna put Haynesworth and Fletcher in the same category? One guy shows up every down, the other whenever he feels like it.

Haynesworth is a waste of space. The game is only 60 minutes long and he's playing 50% or so of the snaps on defense? That figures out to about 4 hours of work a year because we know the fat **** doesn't practice.

That's way too much money for one guy that doesn't perform. So what the guy shows up every now and then on fourth down. You gonna put Haynesworth and Fletcher in the same category? One guy shows up every down, the other whenever he feels like it.

Did you read this thread? The % quoted above was 72%, and when compared to other DL it is on a par with most if not above.

I think we got what we paid for with AH. It's too bad that ignorant fans and the fellas on 980 have to slag him for perceived loafing. Ask his teammates if they think he's dogging it and I'll bet they ask you what sort of crazy pills you take.

To provide some more points of comparison:

Pat Williams: 570 snaps (18 games, 31.7/gm)

Albert Haynesworth: 573 snaps (12 games, 47.8/gm)

Haloti Ngata: 630 snaps (16 games, 39.4/gm)

John Henderson: 651 snaps (16 games, 40.7/gm)

Marcus Stroud: 822 snaps (16 games, 51.4/gm)

Jay Ratliff: 851 snaps (18 games, 47.3/gm)

Kevin Williams: 987 snaps (18 games, 54.8/gm) :thud:

Holy crap! I had no idea Kevin Williams played that many. That's crazy. And yeah that just goes to show that Haynesworth missed 4 games and still played more than what many people consider to be a great DT. Sometimes people just love to hate on Haynesworth.

:ols: someone didn't read this thread and just decided to call Haynesworth a waste of space. No way Carter would have gotten 11 sacks without Haynesworth this year.

I'm pretty sure multiple posters said it was up around 70%, and there was even an exact number put to it. How would you define performance? We brought him in here to take on double teams (however wrong that thinking is, not using him to wreak havoc in the backfield) and free up space for our defensive ends, which is what he did. Orakpo had one of the better rookie seasons for a DE ever, and Carter put up amazing numbers. Not to mention he came back out on the field after hurting his ankle a few plays earlier.

Dude's a gamer, plain and simple

For the first time in....I dont know....15 years we had push from the interior of our defensive line. I dont care WHAT the pricetag is....that my friends, in the game of football is PRICELESS.

It seems like some of you just dont like the fact that BIG FAT people play football. Sorry, every successful team has and rotates them.

Calling him fat and making inaccurate assumptions based on your worthless opinion doesn't belittle what he did for our defensive line last season. If you didn't notice the difference in the pressure we generated once we acquired Haynesworth then you probably didn't watch any games in 2009. And all of that was in Greg Blache's conservative defensive scheme. Just wait until we start throwing the kitchen sink at opposing QBs.

I think the biggest thing to look at was if he took any plays off when he was in the game. It looked to me like he was one of the few guys on the defense that was playing 110% when he was on the field. He is just under the microscope because of the numbers in his contract.

I think the biggest thing to look at was if he took any plays off when he was in the game. It looked to me like he was one of the few guys on the defense that was playing 110% when he was on the field. He is just under the microscope because of the numbers in his contract.

I wouldn't really call that the "biggest" thing. You be one of the best and your position, only play 5 or 6 plays a game, but if you give 110% does that make a difference? For example, would Hunter Smith be worth anywhere in the same area code of what Big Al got?

Granted, giving 110% is important, but quantity is just as important as quality.

I wouldn't really call that the "biggest" thing. You be one of the best and your position, only play 5 or 6 plays a game, but if you give 110% does that make a difference? For example, would Hunter Smith be worth anywhere in the same area code of what Big Al got?

Granted, giving 110% is important, but quantity is just as important as quality.

I assumed we had established the fact that he played at or above the normal amount of plays for a DT. And then tried to add to that fact, that he seemed to be working his butt off for each play he was in the game. My wording of the biggest was probably a poor choice.

But I agree with you, quantity and quality go hand in hand in complete evaluation of his play. However the initial post was basically looking only at quantity.

I never thought I would see a guy put on a redskins jersey and absolutely kill him self for this team and have redskins fans hate him for it. It's disgusting. Any redskins fan that hates on Haynesworth either

1. didn't actually watch him play

2. don't know jack **** about football or

3. hate him because of his contract (wich is really gay).

He plays harder than anyone on the team on every play that he's on the field. If we had a couple more guys give the effort that he gives we might actually win more than 4 games.

Since most of us agree that AH fulfills or exceeds expectations, can someone fill me in on why he gets such grief from Sam and Sonny on 980?

With living in Boston area and not having a lot of luck with feeds this past season, I had to listen to about half the games on 980. Based on that, you'd expect that AH was in for about 5% of the total defensive plays instead of 72%. Why do they have it in for Big Al?

Since most of us agree that AH fulfills or exceeds expectations, can someone fill me in on why he gets such grief from Sam and Sonny on 980?

With living in Boston area and not having a lot of luck with feeds this past season, I had to listen to about half the games on 980. Based on that, you'd expect that AH was in for about 5% of the total defensive plays instead of 72%. Why do they have it in for Big Al?

People see him on the sideline gasping for air when he comes out of the game and they use that to say he's out of shape and lazy but if they actually paid attention to what he was doing on the field they would see it was just the opposite.

People see him on the sideline gasping for air when he comes out of the game and they use that to say he's out of shape and lazy but if they actually paid attention to what he was doing on the field they would see it was just the opposite.

I understand how someone ignorant of the game (like people you describe) might get the impression that he's loafing, but these guys are former pros who should be able to make that distinction.

Why don't they?

I understand how someone ignorant of the game (like people you describe) might get the impression that he's loafing, but these guys are former pros who should be able to make that distinction.

Why don't they?

Maybe they're bitter that they made pennies compared to a player of his caliber nowadays? People will say ridiculous, uninformed things about a man who makes >40 Million $$ in guaranteed money. I see it everyday on here, and especially in some dumbass posts in this thread.:doh:

You really have to take the old timer's opinions with a grain of salt. When they played, people played every down and some of them even played both sides of the ball. But what they fail to realize, is that they were HALF THE SIZE and HALF THE SPEED. You simply can't play the same way in today's NFL. Sonny probably never had a huge fat guy on the team that only played 70% of the snaps, so he doesn't like Haynesworth. But, if you put Haynesworth on Sonny's team he'd be a Hall of Famer and he'd dominate like nobody ever dominated. It's just a different game.

It is good to see that my fellow fans have seen what Haynesworth has gone.

I just don't like that the local media is all over the guy. They never gave the guy a chance and have basically ignored everything he's done this year. I'm not gonna feel sorry for a 100 million dollar man, but it's gotta suck to play how well he played this last year only to get called "fat and lazy" by your home town media. Pretty crappy IMO.

Doesn't matter to me since he was a disruption to other teams defenses. Which is what we needed. My best guess would have been 2/3 rds of the time he played and about 1/3 he sat out. Counting the games missed and when he came out on 3rd down once and a while all adds up.

Archived