Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many snaps did Albert Haynesworth participate in during the 2009 Season?

Ned Flanders

I only ask this, because I was looking at blog.redskins.com and found this interview with Vinny "Sacks n Stuff" Cerrato talking about him (Albert) taking 55-60% of the snaps while on the Titans. I'd venture to guess he only had 30% of the snaps this past season, just a quick guess.

Link to old ass article:

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/02/27/vinny-cerrato-talks-signings-on-espn-980/

Love Vinny's use of the word "stuff" in the interview LMAO

I only ask this, because I was looking at blog.redskins.com and found this interview with Vinny "Sacks n Stuff" Cerrato talking about him (Albert) taking 55-60% of the snaps while on the Titans. I'd venture to guess he only had 30% of the snaps this past season, just a quick guess.

Link to old ass article:

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/02/27/vinny-cerrato-talks-signings-on-espn-980/

Love Vinny's use of the word "stuff" in the interview LMAO

I think Ryan O'Halloran (spelling) kept track of this on his old Wash Times blogs. I think Haynesworth, when active, played about the % of snaps Vinny said he would (if not more). Go search there.

I saw something awhile ago that said he played over 60% of the defensive snaps.

And he was playing close to 70% to start the season.

Which is above average for most defensive linemen.

certainly above average for most defensive linemen that size

If he missed 4 games, wouldn't that be 25% of the snaps right there? Or are they counting "games played"? I love Haynesworth, but either I drank too many beers, or I am just delusional, because it doesn't seem like 55-60% of the snaps to me.

Thanks for the ryan reference Bobzmuda, I'll look there as well.

He was on the field a lot. I know stevemcqueen1 had a link to an article showing that he played like 72% of the snaps that he was healthy for. It was a ridiculous number and definitely near the tops for DTs. His "poor conditioning" and "taking plays off" were greatly exaggerated.

He caught a lot of unfair crap from certain fans and the media for not playing enough when he was playing more snaps than he did in Tenn and more snaps than anyone on the DL except Carter. It really was not fair. So what if he walks real slow off the field or kneels down on the sideline. What I saw was a guy giving 110% when on the field against at least a double team on virtually every down. I'd be tired too if I was going one on two on every play....so would you. And reportedly, Blache prevented him from doing some of the stuff he does best...pursuing the QB from the inside rush position.

Both Cerrato and Blache noted he was playing 60-70 percent of his snaps until he got hurt at the end of the season. I don't count missing snaps from a legitimate injury.

He was on the field a lot. I know stevemcqueen1 had a link to an article showing that he played like 72% of the snaps that he was healthy for. It was a ridiculous number and definitely near the tops for DTs. His "poor conditioning" and "taking plays off" were greatly exaggerated.

Absolutely. And I felt like sometimes I was the only one watching him play. The guy played really good this season. Our amount of stops on 3rd/4th and short was fantastic.

You think Andre Carter slipped onto a season-high sack season? And yall think Orakpo is that good? Haynesworth did what everybody said he would do, he opened holes for other players to make noise. We were all cool with that in the offseason because it is fun to talk about, but people quit watching him because his job was boring. He's a monster DT that shuts down the run and is always double-teamed. Check.

And a quick note, this is not to take anything away from Carter and Orakpo. Both played great and obviously I'm a fan of both. They both earned all the great things they did this year. But we've seen what Carter does when he doesn't have Haynesworth, and we've seen what he does when he does have Haynesworth. Fact.

As for my man Orakpo, that's fantastic rookie season, and he's given props to Haynesworth on numerous occassions. You think he's just saying that? Orakpo is hoping he plays with Haynesworth at this level forever. Orakpo fits perfectly into what we wanted to go along with Fat Albert, and he's doing exactly what we wanted, too.

If this adminstration feels though he is not worth the price, cut him. We probably can add a Rolle and Dunta Robinson and a plethora of OL

That's brilliant! Let's not try and get a 1st and 3rd for him but just kick him to the curb! Some people on this site amaze me. Also, it will be an uncapped year so we can get those guys anyways. It doesn't matter what Big Al costs.

All I know is he needs to step it up this year. He did not nearly play to the potential of the kind of money he got signed to. I would say, when compairing to what we are paying him, he is a flop, so far. I know he has more in him and can do better.

I would hardly call him a flop. He helped Carter and Orakpo get 11 sacks each, which is roughly 300% more then the previous year. I know Rak had 4+ in the Raiders game without him, so I'll say he helped them WHILE HE WAS IN, to improve the sack % by 200

All I know is he needs to step it up this year. He did not nearly play to the potential of the kind of money he got signed to. I would say, when compairing to what we are paying him, he is a flop, so far. I know he has more in him and can do better.
The Redskins had one of the best pass rushes they've had in recent years, while playing in a much more conservative defense than normal.

So, you think it's just coincidence that Haynesworth happened to join the team at the same time that happened?

That's brilliant! Let's not try and get a 1st and 3rd for him but just kick him to the curb! Some people on this site amaze me. Also, it will be an uncapped year so we can get those guys anyways. It doesn't matter what Big Al costs.

Its going to be capped again.. Yes, someone is going to give up a 1st and 3rd and absorb his contract. :laugh:

The Steelers on the other hand are playing the offseason if there will be a cap the future seasons

Haynesworth's lack of participation has been grossly exaggerated because of how frequently he made a display of limping off field. The truth of the matter is that he saw more action than a lot of starting linemen in the league and was dominant when he was in the game. To quote stevemcqueen1 from another thread:

You know, I've been reading over the stats at profootballfocus.com and one thing that's really useful is they list the number of snaps every defender takes.

One thing I found shocking was how many snaps Albert takes compared to other players. Albert missed 3 games this year: weeks 11, 12, and 14 (or maybe PFF just didn't chart them). Yet he still played 573 snaps or well over 50% of our total snaps for the year. That averages to about 48 snaps a game. In the 12 games he did play and PFF charted, he played an astounding 72% of our defensive snaps.

For instance, I wanted to see how he compares to other 3-4 players who had good seasons to. Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata both had pretty impressive seasons according to this site's rankings, but both played far fewer snaps than Haynesworth did. Out of a possible 1,205 snaps (including playoff games), Gregg played 496 or about 41% of defensive snaps, or just over 28 snaps a game. Clearly this was an effective system for Gregg and the Ravens because he's PFF's second ranked defensive tackle according to their metrics.

Ngata missed weeks 9 & 10 (or wasn't charted for them), so he only has 16 games charted. In those games he played 630 of a possible 1,064 snaps or almost 60%. That averages out to about 40 snaps a game for him, and again this was a successful formula for the Ravens because Ngata garned positive ratings nearly every week and finished as the 17th overall tackle.

Link to the statistics from PFF

To provide some more points of comparison:

Pat Williams: 570 snaps (18 games, 31.7/gm)

Albert Haynesworth: 573 snaps (12 games, 47.8/gm)

Haloti Ngata: 630 snaps (16 games, 39.4/gm)

John Henderson: 651 snaps (16 games, 40.7/gm)

Marcus Stroud: 822 snaps (16 games, 51.4/gm)

Jay Ratliff: 851 snaps (18 games, 47.3/gm)

Kevin Williams: 987 snaps (18 games, 54.8/gm) :thud:

People seemed to think that because Albert was getting paid so much he had to play 110% of the defensive snaps and anytime he came off the field he was slacking. Of course he seemed to be a bit dramatic when he was hurt, writhing around in pain, leaving the field only to come back a few plays later and look like nothing is wrong. But the fact of the matter was Albert played his ass off, and played well, he helped our defense quite a bit even though he was a bit handcuffed by Blache.

Archived