Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rob Johnson

Bang

I think he did alright in there. At first with Spurrier calling the plays, he was like 5-6 and got close to scoring. Then with Jackson calling the plays he was like 4-6 and came close to scoring again. I mean, I know he didnt score, but I wasn't too mad with his performance. I was a lot more upset with the way our line got manhandled. I hope this is just preseason and that Ramsey will be able to get more time in the regular season.

Don't know what you guys were watching....but Johnson was one of our few bright spots...... He did a good job overall. Certainly outperformed most of his teammates. He didn't take sacks for the most part but made his reads and got rid of the ball when necessary. He avoided at least 3 certain sacks with pure athleticism, and he made some good throws on the run. What do you want from the guy? I'm no Rob Johnson lover, but what I saw tonight reassured me.

Johnson was adequate against second and third teamers. If he performs like that against a first team defense, we're in a world of hurt.

It's odd; after years of watching football you have it ingrained in your mind when a QB will get rid of the football. Johnson keeps the ball at least a second longer than that, and you're watching him saying, "Throw the freakin' ball you moron!"

Sorry, I just can't agree. He did a good job. Can't fault him because he didn't get a chance to play against the first stringers (keep in mind he had second string protection and receivers as well). He was solid. Really only made 1 or 2 marginal throws. Easily best QB performer tonight (nothing against Ramsey who wasn't in long enough to assess).

Yeah I'm confused here. Rob Johnson was the second best player for us tonight (McCullough #1). One of his fumbles was a horrible call. I have never seen someone fumble a ball 5 yeards forward in the air. And the second one was on fourth and goal and no one cared anymore by that point anyways. He showed a strong arm and made some plays with his feet. Solid outing for him.

Johnson WAS playing against second-teamers but he was also playing WITH second teamers :)

LT Elisara cost him a touchdown pass which would have had the Redskins back in the game.

And from his first couple of snaps Johnson was on the run because the line, most noticeably Wilbert Brown, couldn't block a scarecrow :mad:

Then you have Flemister dropping passes and failing to get a block down on an outside rusher which cost the team a chance at a first down play.

Even Dockery looked ragged out there and he is a guy the staff has been all but giving a BJ to all the offseason in terms of what he is going to mean to the team :laugh:

I think all things considered, Johnson did a good job. Granted he didn't light the place up, but he made alot of good throws, and seemed to avoid sacks as best as he could. Who knows how good he would do against first teamers, but he is still learning the system, and would appear at this point to be atleast an adequate backup.

I was very suprised how relatively good Rob Johnson looked. I had heard nightmare stories of how horrible he had been playing in training camp.

He came into a horrible situation. First of all the second string line is a mess. It was a jailbreak every play, compounded by the fact that John Fox thinks that every preseason game is a Superbowl showcase for his defense. Seriously, everyone's trying to get their basic packages to execute in preseason and to not get anyone hurt. Fox is sending two safeties or a LB on blitzes every play. Zone blitzes, all sorts of garbage. He did this last year against us too. F him, I hope we hang 40 on them this season. Anyhoo.....

I thought that Rob showed a very good arm, smart reads, and pretty darn good accuracy. The TD throw that was called back was a fantastic throw rolling to his left. He ran very well (most likely out of fear) making some plays with his feet. There was only one time that I thought he could have stood in the pocket longer, as Sonny pointed out, instead of taking off to his left.

I was pleasantly suprised.

Incidentally, I think I might petition the league and ask exactly how "pushing the ball forward" can be considered a fumble. Nice call, Triplett.

OK, perhaps an explanation of my original post is in order.

I wrote it immediately after watching him once again rabbit out , scoot, fake, dodge, and run out of bounds.

Hence my strong desire for him to throw the #$%^& ball.

Granted he was under a lot of pressure. But jeez, he looked to me to be way too quick to pull it down and haul ass, if only because he stood there not throwing the ball while pressure built in the first place. Blitzes happen, and sometimes they happen a lot. A QB has to be able to use his outlets quickly.

Considering this exact trend has been the knock on him his whole career, I am hoping they spend considerable time in coming practices stressing the importance of throwing the #@%&! ball.

When he drove the team, he could thank Sultan McCullough for giving him our best running of the night. The kid had some nice moves.

~Bang

Originally posted by Tarhog

Don't know what you guys were watching....but Johnson was one of our few bright spots...... He did a good job overall. Certainly outperformed most of his teammates. He didn't take sacks for the most part but made his reads and got rid of the ball when necessary. He avoided at least 3 certain sacks with pure athleticism, and he made some good throws on the run. What do you want from the guy? I'm no Rob Johnson lover, but what I saw tonight reassured me.

I thought from what I heard that Johnson played pretty well. But, still, let's not go overboard here. He seemed perhaps too willing to scramble out of the pocket holding the ball for a while. And, let's not mistake things here. He did have three turnovers in a quarter and a half. No matter how relatively well we think he played, we need to get our assessments in line with some reality here.

No player could have three turnovers and be deemed a relative success except a player who is so dreaded and who is so unwanted and who so frightens us to consider in the lineup that if he doesn't completely spike himself we're happy. In all I'm sure Johnson had some nice moments and pretty throws.

HE ALWAYS HAS HAD THIS.

He's always been an accurate thrower with a pretty sweet QB rating. He's always had speed to run and make plays with his feet. This is what happens to teams and people who see him. They fall in love with the things he flashes and really don't pay attention to the same fundamental problems he's always had. Too willing to get out of the pocket and not get rid of the ball. Fumbles or sacks. Etc. The big negative that may not appear in the rating sheet, but dooms a team.

Until Johnson has a game in which he doesn't have three turnovers in a quarter and a half, I'm not going to be overly effusive with my praise of him. But that's just me.

Yes, and let's not forget that the INT he gave to Kavika Pittman bounced not off a DL swatting the ball with his hand... but off a DL who Johnson had just HIT DEAD IN THE FACE with a pass.

All things considered, I would have liked to see some of Hammy.

~Bang

Johnson is what he is, IMO, he will never change. The guy has all the tools to be a good one, but he lacks it upstairs. He is very quick to pull the ball down & run. Its nice to have the athleticism to do so, but the majority of the time is eagerness to run hurts the team.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to get mad at the man for running. That may be something that has hurt him in the past, but I dont know about his past. I know about what I saw last night. He had guys all in his face on every play. We couldn't see downfield because the cameras were focused on him. I suppose that when he ran the ball, it was because the guys down the field were covered and he figured he was out of time. I also remember that one play where he ran around the pocket made everybody think he was gonna run then threw a short dump off to Royal for like a 5 yard gain. I mean, I dont think he is just trying to redesign the offense into Atlanta's. I just think he's trying to make plays and I dont see anything wrong with that.

The turnovers are another story, but running around the pocket to create time and possibly plays nah, no problem with that....

If Johnson were running around in the pocket trying to avoid the rush 7 still attempting as pass I would not fault him, but when he runs, he is running downfield & his impatience is what hurts him. I am not specifically saying that last night he performed poorly because there was little he could do, but the MO on Johnson is if his primary reciever is not open, he runs.

I have to disagree. Johnson's numbers were actually decent, with the exception of the interception. But, even with the INT you have to place blame on the collapsing, non-existent O-line.

With the heat that this QB is under this year, I feel that he played well. He actually threw a pretty TD which was called back due to the bone-head play of #79 (this guy stunk it up all night).

The problem with Johnson is instead of taking a sack, he tries to throw the ball and that almost always leads to disaster, whether it be a fumble, INT, or an injury. If he needs to work on anything, it's poise and smart play under extreme pressure.

If you want to place blame, then place it on our O-line and the players dropping wide-open passes. If we don't nip these problems in the bud at the very beginning of pre-season, we're in a world of hurt come the regular season. Time and time again we heard Sonny Jurgeson talking about how well we did in training camp. Where was the proof? A lot of players need to get their heads out of the clouds and start playing like they're in the NFL!

I really can't argue with anything you've said Art. Those of us that thought he played well (and he truly did only make 1 or 2 ill advised throws) undoubtedly rated his performance higher partially because we'd expected much worse. My impression has been that the biggest beef on RJ was that he held on to the ball too long and habitually took sacks. I saw no such tendency last night. He either threw a completion, or scrambled and threw it away. He looked pretty sharp. I saw a capable backup. Whether the 'real Rob Johnson' appears in the future to horrify us...well, we'll just have to wait and see. But of all the things available to criticize last night, RJ wasn't one of them.

Originally posted by Art

I thought from what I heard that Johnson played pretty well. But, still, let's not go overboard here. He seemed perhaps too willing to scramble out of the pocket holding the ball for a while. And, let's not mistake things here. He did have three turnovers in a quarter and a half. No matter how relatively well we think he played, we need to get our assessments in line with some reality here.

No player could have three turnovers and be deemed a relative success except a player who is so dreaded and who is so unwanted and who so frightens us to consider in the lineup that if he doesn't completely spike himself we're happy. In all I'm sure Johnson had some nice moments and pretty throws.

HE ALWAYS HAS HAD THIS.

He's always been an accurate thrower with a pretty sweet QB rating. He's always had speed to run and make plays with his feet. This is what happens to teams and people who see him. They fall in love with the things he flashes and really don't pay attention to the same fundamental problems he's always had. Too willing to get out of the pocket and not get rid of the ball. Fumbles or sacks. Etc. The big negative that may not appear in the rating sheet, but dooms a team.

Until Johnson has a game in which he doesn't have three turnovers in a quarter and a half, I'm not going to be overly effusive with my praise of him. But that's just me.

I really can't argue with anything you've said Art. Those of us that thought he played well (and he truly did only make 1 or 2 ill advised throws) undoubtedly rated his performance higher partially because we'd expected much worse. My impression has been that the biggest beef on RJ was that he held on to the ball too long and either threw it away or habitually took sacks. I saw no such tendency last night. Even when he was forced to scramble, it usually led to a completed pass. He looked pretty sharp. I saw a capable backup. Whether the 'real Rob Johnson' appears in the future to horrify us...well, we'll just have to wait and see. But of all the things available to criticize last night, RJ wasn't one of them.

Originally posted by Art

HE ALWAYS HAS HAD THIS.

Johnson reminds me most of Chris Chandler. He's a guy who can sometimes blow your mind with his ability to make great passes and lead a team downfield with his good physical abilities, but who can have you pulling your hair out the following week (sometimes the following quarter!) because he'll take devastating hits and make some poor decisions.

Personally, I like him as a backup. While I wouldn't want him as my starter, who in the league is a better backup to have than him? Frankly, I'd take him over a few guys who are starting in the league right now. For example, doesn't he look relatively good when contrasted with the Wienke-Peete-Delhomme show down in N.C.?

Originally posted by SkinsNorth

Johnson is what he is, IMO, he will never change. The guy has all the tools to be a good one, but he lacks it upstairs. He is very quick to pull the ball down & run. Its nice to have the athleticism to do so, but the majority of the time is eagerness to run hurts the team.

Couldn't have said it better myself. He will frustrate the heck out of you. In the games Rob "sack-magnet" Johnson started last year we would of lost if not for Martin Gramatica. Good riddance. Hopefully he won't be on your roster come final cutdown.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Sorry, I just can't agree. He did a good job. Can't fault him because he didn't get a chance to play against the first stringers (keep in mind he had second string protection and receivers as well). He was solid. Really only made 1 or 2 marginal throws. Easily best QB performer tonight (nothing against Ramsey who wasn't in long enough to assess).

I agree with you. The only thing that matters is that Johnson is an upgrade from Wuerffel or Matthews from last year. How can anyone in their right mind complain that Johnson ran, HE HAD FREAKIN NO O LINE....... Geez.

They were rushing him like there was no tomorrow, Shane would have been sacked 12 times.

But the bottom line is that there is NO QB controversy.

Archived