Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever been to Thailand?

WVUforREDSKINS

Wow, thanks for some great info.

I guess what I wonder most is how safe will I be if im by myself. I don 't plan on straying far from the tourist areas. In fact, as much as I would love to see how the average Thai person spends their day, I probably really don't wanna see it do I? And I'm 6 ft tall.

I never felt safer that I did just wandering around Bangkok on foot with my wife ten years ago. We got lost several times, went completely out of the tourist areas, and everyone was as nice as could be. It's not intimidating in the least, as long as you don't go to the red light district.

The only scary thing was the dogs.

And the river. I'm pretty sure that if you fell in that river, you would dissolve instantly.

Find crazy dude, acquire map to hidden marijuana island, find hot french couple, convince them to travel to said island, kill a shark and become hero on new island, fall in love and have affair with french chick, have affair with crazy ass island-leader woman, see friends get attacked by sharks, get dumped by said french chick, narrowly escape death by marijuana farmers, return to reality, love the memories.

I have traveled in Southeast Asia a lot.

If you are going to fly all the way out there I would make it at LEAST two weeks AND go into Cambodia for a bit. Love Cambodia. You think Thailand is cheap...:ols::ols:. Cambodia makes it look like NYC.

Not a huge fan of Bangkok. If I were you I would -

4 days in Chiang Mai (my favorite place in Thailand)

4 days on a beach - there are many.

4 days in Cambodia - do Killing Fields and Ankor Wat (wonder of the world). You get your "VISA" when you land - really just a tax you pay in US $$.

2 days in Bangkok - flying in and out of the country.

You can fly around Thailand and into Cambodia for really really cheap. I think I used to fly on an airline called "1, 2, Go" or something.

Be careful - the transvestites are indistinguishable over there from the real ladies from what I've been told (I've never been, but my college roommate went).

When you get close enough you can look for the Adam's apple. ;)

I was walking down the street in one Thai town and spotted some nice looking women a block ahead. From that distance my reaction was "DAMN!" because they really were looking fine.

Then I got with 30 feet of them and suddenly I felt like Quagmire discovering that Taylor Hanson is a guy: "...Oh God! Oh my God! I've got all these magazines!"

But at half a block, they look great. And man, do I feel sick admitting that. :puke:

Some good stuff from other posters here. A few quick comments:

* Bangkok is widely regarded by Thais as the worst part of their country. It's great for temples, food and cultural activities (such as muay thai). But limit your time there.

* The south is where all the great beaches are. Phuket and Pattaya are depressing and sleazy. Ko Phi Phi is really popular, but doesn't have fantastic beaches. Almost all the other "Ko"s are amazing. (Ko Phi Phi also hosts Southeast Asia's best Full Moon Party - tons of booze and partying.)

* The north is much quieter, has better food, is cheaper and gives you the best chance to meet and interact with locals.

* The northeast (Isaan) is the most undeveloped part; if you're adventurous, this is the place to rent a motorbike and explore the countryside.

There is crime in Thailand, but it's far lower than in any major American city. Keep you wits about you and you'll be fine. The Thai Tourist Police are friendly and very helpful.

I also second the earlier vote to see Cambodia (and Laos) if you have time.

Some good stuff from other posters here. A few quick comments:

* Bangkok is widely regarded by Thais as the worst part of their country. It's great for temples, food and cultural activities (such as muay thai). But limit your time there.

* The south is where all the great beaches are. Phuket and Pattaya are depressing and sleazy. Ko Phi Phi is really popular, but doesn't have fantastic beaches. Almost all the other "Ko"s are amazing. (Ko Phi Phi also hosts Southeast Asia's best Full Moon Party - tons of booze and partying.)

* The north is much quieter, has better food, is cheaper and gives you the best chance to meet and interact with locals.

* The northeast (Isaan) is the most undeveloped part; if you're adventurous, this is the place to rent a motorbike and explore the countryside.

There is crime in Thailand, but it's far lower than in any major American city. Keep you wits about you and you'll be fine. The Thai Tourist Police are friendly and very helpful.

I also second the earlier vote to see Cambodia (and Laos) if you have time.

Dude you're in Melbourne?! Thanks for the info.

Thailand is awesome.

Everything is cheap. If you go for a week you will have to TRY to spend $500 for everything including meals, hotel, and chicks.

Definitely hit up walking street in pattaya beach. It's an experience to say the least. Marilyn's is one bar/go-go that I will never forget.

Am I the only one here that thinks it's odd that people pay for sex ?

I get that I pay for dinners and such, but to pay a woman to do the dirty ? That is just not ever going to happen.

Lap dances are not sex and I dont pay for them either. I tip at strip clubs.

You're not alone.

Also, i don't get strip clubs. It's like being shown an amazing, sumptuous buffet and being told, "You can look at it all you like, but you can't eat anything!"

Archived