Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indy Aftermath

darklight1216

The end of the Indianapolis Colts' season came down to 11 people.

Not the 11 players on the field during the Super Bowl, but the 11 who showed up at Indianapolis International Airport on a cold, snowbound Monday afternoon, when the team returned following their 31-17 defeat Sunday by the New Orleans Saints at Super Bowl XLIV in Miami.

"Win or lose, they're still our team," said Brownsburg resident Karen Calhoun, who carried a "Where's the parade" sign.

The closest any of the 11 fans got to the Colts was the other side of a security fence several hundred feet away.

http://www.indystar....ORTS03/2090305/

It looks like alot of Indy "fans" jumped off of the bandwagon pretty quickly.

Don't know if you saw the following incident during pre-Super Bowl coverage. I actually watched very little the past two weeks. The hype and repetition gets old. But this grabbed my attention for sure.

Anyway during the incident Jeff Saturday, Colts Pro Bowl center, muttered something in frustration as the offense was coming off the field. He thought the Colts needed to run the ball near the goal line. This set Peyton Manning off and he went out of his way and blasted Saturday who was sitting with other offensive linemen. Manning was really out of line yet he would later put a positive spin on it and define it in so many words as a healthy confrontation to clear the air.

That’s fine.

What shocked me was another Colt, Tarik Glenn stood toe-to-toe, face-to-face with Manning, forcefully telling the golden boy to, “Go sit down!"

Often these kinds of (stand-up) incidents do not happen without some background climate.

Interestingly enough, Glenn a Pro Bowl tackle in 2004, 2005 and 2006 retired after the 2006 season at the age of 30 claiming he lost his passion for football.

http://mrmojorizon.blogspot.com/2010/02/excuses-and-unrest-linger-in.html

To be honest, should any team on the losing side of the Super Bowl really expect a large crowd of adoring fans to greet them when they arrive back at the airport? I'd be shocked if this were the case with any team in the past few years, like the Patriots, Cardinals, and Bears.

This all reads to me like a bitter/cynical sports writer (hehe) trying to put a spin on an incident that happens all the time in sports. During the game, tempers always flare and you always have players screaming at each other on the sidelines over something.

We get more fans for the welcome back when we lose to the Lions. :)

But the most interesting part of that is NOT the people waiting for the Colts--it's the blog post that darklight inserted in there. If he hasn't done so, he should put it in my Manning thread.

BTW, this is not the first time I've read that Manning kind of suffers from "last shot" syndrome, in that he would get mad at Saturday for suggesting running the ball---because he wants the win on his shoulders (esp now that he has a ring.) Addai was gashing the Saints initially and you could make the argument that they should have run more (once they finally got the ball in the 2nd half lol) But would Manning allow a run-heavy game plan to win? Or does he need to be "The reason" to compensate for his relatively unimpressive 2006 postseason or simply to sate his ego?

I don't know. But it does raise some questions. Too many people on this board buy into Manning's commercials and persona and think that Brady's lack thereof is some indication that he's not classy.

I remember how Brady got hammered for walking off (forget which game, SB?) the field after a loss, now the sports writers are already making excuses for Manning.

This is probably a classic case of the guy you think is great having more warts (not saying Peyton is 'bad') than you're led to believe, while the person you've been induced to "hate" is probably the nicer person and better teammate.

An example would be Marvin Harrison "mr. class" who is really a prick and a thug vs. someone like Chad Johnson who is much louder in his persona or even TO who is never in trouble with the law but is, admittedly, not the best teammate.

An example would be Marvin Harrison "mr. class" who is really a prick and a thug vs. someone like Chad Johnson who is much louder in his persona

That's a good example. Chad Johnson, despite his initial appearance as a "Throw me the damn ball!" receiver, is all actually a great dude.

It's hard to argue with Peyton, though. Watching the game, the second half was incredibly different than the first. Addai was running wild in the first half, but the Saints shut him down in the second. We all remember when the Colts ran the ball on the goal line in the 4th, and at the end of the 1st half. The Saints were all over it. Maybe Manning saw something that made him audible to a pass or something. He even changed the paly to a run one time when he saw the Saints in a 2 or 3 man front and Addai went for 29 yards. I would have full faith in Manning and what he decides. If it's wrong, I'd take the hit for trusting him, but his track record gives him the leeway to be able to change to something that he thinks will work.

Yes he has a 9-9 playoff record, but that just means he's good enough to carry the Colts to ten playoff appearances in his career, with at least 2 or 3 more left. If he wins the SB the next time the Colts make it, that'll bump his record to 12-9. If he goes for numbe three, that makes it 15-9 if not more for a wild card game. Going ten times to the playoffs and having at least a .500 record is amazing.

We get more fans for the welcome back when we lose to the Lions. :)

But the most interesting part of that is NOT the people waiting for the Colts--it's the blog post that darklight inserted in there. If he hasn't done so, he should put it in my Manning thread.

BTW, this is not the first time I've read that Manning kind of suffers from "last shot" syndrome, in that he would get mad at Saturday for suggesting running the ball---because he wants the win on his shoulders (esp now that he has a ring.) Addai was gashing the Saints initially and you could make the argument that they should have run more (once they finally got the ball in the 2nd half lol) But would Manning allow a run-heavy game plan to win? Or does he need to be "The reason" to compensate for his relatively unimpressive 2006 postseason or simply to sate his ego?

I don't know. But it does raise some questions. Too many people on this board buy into Manning's commercials and persona and think that Brady's lack thereof is some indication that he's not classy.

I remember how Brady got hammered for walking off (forget which game, SB?) the field after a loss, now the sports writers are already making excuses for Manning.

This is probably a classic case of the guy you think is great having more warts (not saying Peyton is 'bad') than you're led to believe, while the person you've been induced to "hate" is probably the nicer person and better teammate.

An example would be Marvin Harrison "mr. class" who is really a prick and a thug vs. someone like Chad Johnson who is much louder in his persona or even TO who is never in trouble with the law but is, admittedly, not the best teammate.

First off: I'm a girl.

I agree with your assesment that Manning may be getting undue praise. Any other quarterback in the league would be criticized for losing their cool in a big game. Tom Brady would be abosultely villified if he did that. It seems the Chosen One can do no wrong, however.

Here is something else to consider, I found this by another poster:

"I've wondered about Manning's leadership skills before. Incidents like these make me think that he's not a great leader. Not to be confused with with field general tactician. He's excellent in that regard.

Not saying he's a bad leader either, just middle of the road probably.When you're a great leader your troops don't tell you sit down and shut up."

Yes he has a 9-9 playoff record, but that just means he's good enough to carry the Colts to ten playoff appearances in his career, with at least 2 or 3 more left. If he wins the SB the next time the Colts make it, that'll bump his record to 12-9. If he goes for numbe three, that makes it 15-9 if not more for a wild card game. Going ten times to the playoffs and having at least a .500 record is amazing.

Here's the thing though... if anyone else had a .500 record and had gone one and done more times than any team not from Dallas, no one would be saying that team's qb is the greatest quarterback to play the game.

Here's the thing though... if anyone else had a .500 record and had gone one and done more times than any team not from Dallas, no one would be saying that team's qb is the greatest quarterback to play the game.

A 9-9 record is a LOT different than a 2-2 or 3-3 record. It shows regular season consistency throughout a career. How many quarterbacks have even made it to the playoffs 10 times?

[Don't know if you saw the following incident during pre-Super Bowl coverage. I actually watched very little the past two weeks. The hype and repetition gets old. But this grabbed my attention for sure.

Anyway during the incident Jeff Saturday, Colts Pro Bowl center, muttered something in frustration as the offense was coming off the field. He thought the Colts needed to run the ball near the goal line. This set Peyton Manning off and he went out of his way and blasted Saturday who was sitting with other offensive linemen. Manning was really out of line yet he would later put a positive spin on it and define it in so many words as a healthy confrontation to clear the air.

That’s fine.

What shocked me was another Colt, Tarik Glenn stood toe-to-toe, face-to-face with Manning, forcefully telling the golden boy to, “Go sit down!"

Often these kinds of (stand-up) incidents do not happen without some background climate.

Interestingly enough, Glenn a Pro Bowl tackle in 2004, 2005 and 2006 retired after the 2006 season at the age of 30 claiming he lost his passion for football.

Anyone know when this "incident" happened?

:no:

Tony Romo sits to pee 1-3

Joe Namath* 2-1

Warren Moon 3-7

Dan Fouts 3-4

Sammy Baugh 3-3

Fran Tarkenton 6-5

Bob Griese* 6-5

Dan Marino 8-10

Jim Kelly 9-8

Brett Favre* 13-11

Donovan McNabb 9-7

other than Romo sits to pee here are a few great QB's in the HOF or soon to be playoff records

*=championships

only Montana*, Elway*, Brady*, Starr*, Aikman*, Staubach*, Bradshaw*

have more 9 or more playoff wins and over .600 win%

and Elway went 6-0 his final two seasons or he would have been around .500%

Manning still has at least 5-8 more years barring injuries

:no:

Tony Romo sits to pee 1-3

Joe Namath* 2-1

Warren Moon 3-7

Dan Fouts 3-4

Sammy Baugh 3-3

Fran Tarkenton 6-5

Bob Griese* 6-5

Dan Marino 8-10

Jim Kelly 9-8

Brett Favre* 13-11

Donovan McNabb 9-7

other than Romo sits to pee here are a few great QB's in the HOF or soon to be playoff records

With the exception of maybe Marino, not many people have been saying that those guys are the absolutely, without a doubt, the GREATEST QUARTERBACK EVER!!!! like everyone was saying about Manning prior to the SB.

I never said that Manning wasn't great, because he is obviously one of the greatest. Somehow it's considered a no brainer that Manning is better than some, if not all, of the guys you mentioned below and I disagree with that.

*=championships

only Montana*, Elway*, Brady*, Starr*, Aikman*, Staubach*, Bradshaw*

have more 9 or more playoff wins and over .600 win%

I think that Kurt Warner* and Otto Graham* belong on that list as well.

I never said that a qb had to win nine or more postseason games and have over winning percentage over .600, but if those are the requirements then fine: there haven't been many qbs better than Manning. I wasn't debating that. But there have been some, several in fact.

And personally, the guys that are on my personal "best list" include some of those in the second list so my opinion remains unchanged.

and Elway went 6-0 his final two seasons or he would have been around .500%

Okay, well if Peyton hadn't gotten to play two 9-7 wildcard teams, he might still have a losing record in the playoffs, but it is what it is...

Manning still has at least 5-8 more years barring injuries

Great, more opportunities to go one and done. :silly:

Look, if Manning were to have a post-season turnaround in those 5-8 years, win some championships or something, then I wouldn't have too much of problem with everyone calling him the GOAT. However, as it stands, he is a regular season juggernaught, but a mere mortal in the playoffs, and I just can't see why he deserves to be called the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.

Anyone know when this "incident" happened?

I saw it on the episode of America's game about the Colts 2006 Superbowl win, but I don't know if the incident was that year, or from a previous season.

And if anything, Manning appears more inclined to call runs, as he clearly audibled to the run a number of times Sunday.

I find the whole "player walking off after losing without giving congratulations" to be overblown and dumb. I'm a monster Orlando Magic fan and Lebron did that last year when we beat him in the Eastern Finals. And you know what? I didn't give a ****. I was too busy being happy for my own team to care about any slight or disrespect from anyone else I guess.

That's a good example. Chad Johnson, despite his initial appearance as a "Throw me the damn ball!" receiver, is all actually a great dude.

Yep, I was in Cincy and he pulled up next to me in his convertible and he said hello to me. He seems like a fun, happy-go lucky guy. When I was out at the bars in Cincy I asked people about him and tons of people says he goes out all the time, but never drinks. He usually sips on some red bull and orange juice, or something similar. There were all sorts of stories about how he'd walk into the mall and see some kid trying on shoes and buy the kid his shoes. He is very well liked within the community.

Sorry, this doesn't have anything to do with this thread...but I'll always have Ocho Cinco's back because of what the people of Cincinnati told me.

Look, if Manning were to have a post-season turnaround in those 5-8 years, win some championships or something, then I wouldn't have too much of problem with everyone calling him the GOAT. However, as it stands, he is a regular season juggernaught, but a mere mortal in the playoffs, and I just can't see why he deserves to be called the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.

He's called that because quite simply, every analyst will tell you that he's probably the most cerebral QB to ever play the game. Despite his post season woes (which for the beginning of his career wasn't necessarily all on him) no one can deny that he simply plays the QB position better than many who have come before him, and better than most in the league right now. At this moment, he's only rivaled by Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

Another thing that comes into play is the fact that Manning calls the plays for the offense, and that the offense has consistently been at the top with him in charge of it. While Brady and Brees have playcallers, Manning is his own playcaller, something that is unheard of in today's league, outside of audibles here and there.

I'm not excusing Manning's behavior after the Super Bowl. I've always been a strong proponent of good sportsmanship on all levels of the game, and the fact he acted in that manner disappointed me. That said, I still would take him over any other QB in the game today if I were starting a team.

Another thing that comes into play is the fact that Manning calls the plays for the offense, and that the offense has consistently been at the top with him in charge of it. While Brady and Brees have playcallers, Manning is his own playcaller, something that is unheard of in today's league, outside of audibles here and there.

This is true, but Manning has had the same offensive coordinator for his entire career. Sure, when he's on the field he calls his own plays (kind of) but during the week he's had nothing but consistency at the game planning position. Brady has flown through coordinators, Weis, McDaniels, etc. Hell, Brees has gone through different teams and teammates entirely. Favre (who despite what some will argue, certainly rivaled Manning's year this year) has also never had that sort of luxury.

And the reason I say Manning kind of calls his plays, is because he is usually given a list of plays to call from. If Manning actually called every single play entirely on his own the Colts wouldn't mess around with a coordinator.

And the reason I say Manning kind of calls his plays, is because he is usually given a list of plays to call from. If Manning actually called every single play entirely on his own the Colts wouldn't mess around with a coordinator.

Tom Moore gives him ideas of plays, but Manning is the primary playcaller. If anything, Moore is another set of eyes for Manning to consult with on the sidelines.

"Pickle!" he yells. "Richmond!" he might say. Or "Yo-yo!" or "Sally!" or "Orange!"

Pretty soon, he'll be in full fury, patrolling from end to end, a Civil War general surveying his front line.

Star Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis grins. He's seen this act plenty. "You've got to figure out what's real and what's not. That's the main thing," Lewis advises.

Got to do it quickly, too.

Manning shakes his right index finger toward the right side, curls his left thumb and fingers to form a "C." Could be hand signals checking to another play, perhaps "Dice Right Ice Cream Alert 654 Jose."

"If you want to look at it like a chessboard, he is putting his pieces in place," DeVan says.

The Colts work without a huddle and Manning calls his own plays, a rarity at any level of the game. Offensive coordinator Tom Moore usually tells him three plays per snap — two runs, one pass. NFL rules permit coaches to deliver their message via wireless earpiece in the quarterback's helmet.

"I just give him ideas and he goes from there," Moore says.

http://cbs4.com/sports/peyton.manning.plays.2.1471023.html

Brady and Brees don't do anything like this. Yes Manning has had the benefit of having Moore his whole career, but I have a feeling that even if they were to change the system, it'd still be Manning calling his own plays.

I see your point; and I certainly agree that no one runs anything like it. But still, he gets 3 plays per snap. All he does is pick one from there. That's MUCH different than Moore going "here's some ideas, do what you want."

Manning works within those three plays, and at each new downhe works within his given three.

Man, all this time I thought he was totally running the show.

October 17 2005. They ended up winning the game against the Rams 45-28.

And even better, heres a link to a clip of it.

http://ballhype.com/video/peyton_manning_goes_insane/

I would have totally put that on the original post and given you credit for finding it, but unfortunately that link does not work.

Edit: I found one!

http://noolmusic.com/my_video/peyton_manning_goes_insane_-_sports_video.php

I would have totally put that on the original post and given you credit for finding it, but unfortunately that link does not work.

Edit: I found one!

http://noolmusic.com/my_video/peyton_manning_goes_insane_-_sports_video.php

Strange, it works for me. No problem though, they are both of the same clip from America's Game. I love it, pure passion.

Archived