Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Telegram: Jason Garrett: the next Sean Payton?

tr1

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1955320.html

By JENNIFER FLOYD ENGEL

Watching Saints coach Sean Payton drag and diagram and coconut New Orleans to a Super Bowl XLIV victory Sunday reminded me a lot of Betty White being pummeled in a friendly game of tackle football during commercial interruptions.

Genius ad, BTW.

I am pretty sure Betty has an ability to turn just about anything into funny right now. Including an octogenarian getting pummeled and verbally eviscerated by a teammate in a huddle.

"That's not what your girlfriend said," was White's comeback.

Anyway, as it happens in commercials, along comes a point where product must be sold and we were reminded: You are not you when hungry, you play like Betty White, thus eat Snickers. And I cannot help but think this catchy phrase, properly tweaked, once applied to Payton.

"You are not you when you are an assistant."

Or in Payton's case, you coach like Bill Parcells.

Anybody close to Cowboysland during Payton's tenure understood this was a gutsy, risk-taking, bright, inventive offensive coordinator. And he was allowed to be that guy three of every 10 plays. The other seven he lost the battle of the headphones and had to do what Big Bill wanted, so we see him now and go, "Wow, where was that guy?"

This is not another ode to what might have been. The Payton-as-Cowboys-coach ship has sailed. Really for anybody who watched Sunday's festivities from Miami and thought to yourself: "Man, I wish that guy was still coaching the Cowboys", instead of wasting angst, repeat after me:

Jason Garrett has a very good chance of being the next Payton.

In a couple of years, the Cowboys offensive coordinator is going to be winning a Super Bowl elsewhere and we'll all be whining about how he got away. :rolleyes:

Laugh, if need be. Call me an apologist.

Just also mark my words: The Redheaded Genius is going to be a successful coach in this league. And likely not in Dallas, at this current trajectory.

For a couple of good reasons and a few nonsensical ones, we refuse to acknowledge his ability and potential at the moment. Garrett has been turned into a caricature by a lot of Cowboys media and fans. Overmatched. Unable to adjust. Not very good. Needs to be fired. Nothing more than a Jerry Jones man crush.

All of this is idiotic and ungrounded in fact actually, yet totally familiar.

Payton endured his share of dark days in Dallas. He had calls for his job. Revisionist history has many of my media brethren pretending every second of his stay was touchdowns and talk-radio segments devoted to his genius and pleas to keep him.

None of this is remotely true. A good many only appreciated his genius once said genius began coaching in New Orleans. Payton became smarter in New Orleans, much like Miami led to fondness for Tony Sparano, as did Arizona for Todd Haley.

Certainly all have become smarter than Garrett, at least by local standards where he ranks somewhere between needs to be flogged and needs to be fired, depending on the day.

The RHG bandwagon certainly has become lonely, with myself and Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg, at least I think I saw them recently.

So let us dispense with nicknames or hyperbole this a.m. and just deal in facts about Garrett. He is a bright offensive mind. Like Payton, he's a playbook guy. He likes to devise stuff.

He is also gutsy, which serves him well except on those occasions when it gets him in trouble. And really are we praising Payton for his gutsiness if that Playmate's idiot boyfriend can recover an onside kick that lands in his hands?

Guts oftentimes require patience.

This is not to say Garrett is perfect. He has flaws. He needs to adjust better and faster. What he also needs is a teacher, a coach capable of saving him from himself.

What he has instead is Wade Phillips -- a defensive coordinator who ignores the offense. This is not a shot, just a fact.

So who reins Garrett in? Who calls him out? Who is helping develop him into a coach?

I realize develop ranks below fire/kill/demote as verbs many want to attach to Garrett nowadays. Many would welcome Betty White calling plays ahead of him. Many more want his name removed from talk about future coaches.

Just remember: You are not you when an assistant.

Unlike a lot of back-stabby assistants that have come through Valley Ranch, and Dave Campo is still removing Bruce Coslet knives from his back, Garrett learned respect for chain of command from his father. He does not agree with how Coach Wade handles any number of things, but he is not going to step on his toes, go over his head or vent to media.

Not his style.

What is his style? Bright and gutsy and kind of Payton-like. And in a couple of years if he's winning elsewhere, do not complain to me lest I have Betty respond.

There is no comparison between the two. Payton thinks outside the box and finds ways to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers. Garrett thinks simple plays and execution are more important. Two totally different types of playcallers.

Just goes to show you how big of a hack journalist JFE really is.

It's kind of odd how he goes through that whole thing and then says that "Wade Phillips totally ignores the offense."

Now, his first point was that Bill overruled Payton and essentially ran the offense 70% of the time. I can see how you're not yourself there.

However, if Phillips ignores the offense, doesn't that mean that Garrett is in charge and what we are seeing is far more him than WP? He really seems to contradict himself there.

Regardless, if this is what continues in Dallas, I hope they both stay for a long, long time.

Peyton and Garrett are worlds apart. Peyton came to dalls after the fassel regime got the boot in NY. Peyton was the architect of that NYG Super Bowl team that lost to the Ravens (I think). Garrett's Offense isn't that good.

A lot of Dallas fans will agree with me on this. Garrett actually slows the offense down. If you put on paper our offense against ANY offense in the NFL we are as talented if not more talented then any Offense in the NFL.

Garrett's obvious play calls and bad game management slows us down.

Any time we had a 2nd/3rd/4th and 1 it was simple run with Barber up the middle. Never changed it up ever.

Very simplistic with his play calling.

This is not to say Garrett is perfect. He has flaws. He needs to adjust better and faster. What he also needs is a teacher, a coach capable of saving him from himself.

So who reins Garrett in? Who calls him out? Who is helping develop him into a coach?

More contradiction. So wait, he's going to be be a super awesome coach leading a team to a championship, and soon...but he's apparently still so raw that he needs to be coached up more and well, needs saving from himself? Uh...ok...

Is it me or am I reading this article wrong, first Payton was hindered by Parcells calling 7 out of 10 plays so he was hindered, second Garrett is hindered because Wade won't call plays, he's not interested in the offense. So this makes Payton a genius when he leaves, and so Garrett will be also when he leaves? How so?

It's kind of odd how he goes through that whole thing and then says that "Wade Phillips totally ignores the offense."

Now, his first point was that Bill overruled Payton and essentially ran the offense 70% of the time. I can see how you're not yourself there.

However, if Phillips ignores the offense, doesn't that mean that Garrett is in charge and what we are seeing is far more him than WP? He really seems to contradict himself there.

Regardless, if this is what continues in Dallas, I hope they both stay for a long, long time.

You DO realize "JENNIFER" Floyd Engel is a chick... right?

Right?

The major difference is that Payton had success with another team to his name that showed off his skill as an offensive playcaller. Garrett has had one good season, the rest of which have been extremely pedestrian. Payton is a ballsy playcaller who thinks outside the box, gets the ball into his playmakers' hands always, and is willing to take gambles. I've rarely seen these attributes consistently come from Garrett's playcalling. :ols:

Archived