Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reed Doughty Might Be An Elite Safety...

method man

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Sort it by run defense rating and guess who is number 1...by far. He made this guy's All-Pro team. I think people around the league know how good the guy is (I remember Aikman pointing out in a game that he is a fan of Doughty's). The guy had 91 tackles this season and was not a full-timer until Horton went down in Week 9.

What all this tells us is that maybe, despite Landry's gifts, we should think harder about moving him, because he is blocking a better player from getting more PT as Landry is going to have to play SS.

It is worth noting that Doughty gets most of his credit from this site for his good run support while he actually gets a negative rating in coverage...

I like Doughty, I just don't see him ever being anything better than what we get from him now.

Reed Doughty is the most solid of the solid Safeties in the league, lol.

He is not elite, but he's just so solid that he always ranks at the top when it comes to these fancy statistical studies. He just does his job, and does it right. But one thing is for sure, he rarely makes those game changing plays that elite guys in the secondary consistently do.

That's the difference.

He is not elite, but he's just so solid that he always ranks at the top when it comes to these fancy statistical studies. He just does his job, and does it right. But one thing is for sure, he rarely makes those game changing plays that elite guys in the secondary consistently do.

That's the difference.

What he said...

That's the difference.

Well, isn't that John Lynch basically? Lynch averaged just 1 forced fumble, less than a sack, and 2 picks a year, but everyone calls him one of the greatest safeties of the past 2 decades. Steve Atvater's (had to spell his name incorrectly to get past profanity filters) situation is pretty similar too. These stats were comparable to Doughty's past year in which he had 2 sacks and a pick.

Given these 2 examples, just because you are not the type of safety who averages 8 picks and 2 pick 6's per season does not eliminate you from being considered elite. There is something to be said for a guy who is one of the best fundamental tacklers not just at his position, but in the NFL, who can get you a 100 tackles per season with a couple plays here and there.

Why the hell would we trade Doughty so that Landry can continue to suck at another position? Landry at SS is a ridiculous idea - he is terrible at tackling. He needs to find his spot on the bench or on another team.

This is exactly my point. Doesn't this situation remind you of the Ryan Clark/Archuleta situation in which we decided to go with the big name player with the pedigree over the reliable hungry guy?

This is exactly my point. Doesn't this situation remind you of the Ryan Clark/Archuleta situation in which we decided to go with the big name player with the pedigree over the reliable hungry guy?

Absolutely. Moving Landry to SS makes us worse at two positions. We need to worry about finding a replacement for Landry rather than worrying about how to justify his draft position and finding a place for him on the field.

Absolutely. Moving Landry to SS makes us worse at two positions. We need to worry about finding a replacement for Landry rather than worrying about how to justify his draft position and finding a place for him on the field.

Landry should move back to SS where he can be near the LOS. He is sucking horrible in coverage and tries to make up for it by big hits...only he whiffs. So move him back to SS, and if he sucks it up there...scratch him off the roster.

Landry should move back to SS where he can be near the LOS. He is sucking horrible in coverage and tries to make up for it by big hits...only he whiffs. So move him back to SS, and if he sucks it up there...scratch him off the roster.

I don't want a SS who can't tackle. Doughty and Horton are both better SS than Landry would be, but they aren't athletic enough to play FS. So moving Laron to SS would make us worse at that position and worse at FS. It makes no sense.

With Bowe in Haley's doghouse, I wonder if the Chiefs would be willing to trade us Bowe for Landry. The trade clearly benefits both sides.

Won't happen...Bowe has been their offense for the past few years and finally got another playmaker in Jamaal Charles. Besides, Haley is clearly a complete idiot as described by all the Chiefs fans I work with...they don't like him...so he may do it lol.

Would completely benefit the Skins and screw over the Chiefs.

At 51st, Doughty is one of the worst starting safeties in the league in coverage by this guy's rankings. I agree with what most others are saying. I like Doughty but he's probably our third best safety. I'd rather see Landry and Moore on the field together.

You obviously didn't look at Landry's coverage ranking.

You obviously didn't look at Landry's coverage ranking.

Meh, I saw it but you won't convince me that Reed is better in coverage than Landry. I was merely pointing out that Reed is a guy who looks great in this website's rankings system and even he fared poorly in the coverage rankings.

All in all I think there are a lot of issues with this ranking system which become apparent when you look at the final results. This list would have you believe that in addition to Landry, Melvin Bullitt, Mike Brown, Michael Griffin, and Antrel Rolle shouldn't even be starting safeties and all of them are good players. Reggie Nelson and Sean Jones are also pretty decent and they each had solid seasons and they get really low scores too.

I'm not even sure how you can slap a cut and dry number for success rate on a safety since they are asked to do so many different things.

Reggie Nelson and Sean Jones are also pretty decent and they each had solid seasons and they get really low scores.

Nelson has been pretty bad the last two years and Jones was OK this year. The problem with this site is it doesn't take into account pass rush which will make or break a defensive back.

Archived