Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reed Doughty Might Be An Elite Safety...

method man

Has anybody alerted honorary_hog to this thread yet?

I wouldn't say he's elite. but what he is is incredibly reliable. He's a hard worker, he's smart, and he has excellent technique. When I'm watching the game and see a white blur with a #37 headed for the ball-carrier like a heat-seeking missle, I know that guy is going down.

Reed Doughty is the most solid of the solid Safeties in the league, lol.

He is not elite, but he's just so solid that he always ranks at the top when it comes to these fancy statistical studies. He just does his job, and does it right. But one thing is for sure, he rarely makes those game changing plays that elite guys in the secondary consistently do.

That's the difference.

Could not disagree more. Reed prevents TONS of runs from becoming 50 yard game changers. He is a strong safety, you are think of a free safety, which is certainly more flashy. Players like Darren Sharper and Ed Reed get INTs which certainly do change a game, especially when they equal TDs. However, so does Chris Johson busting through the line and the second level cannot do anything about him putting up six. Reed closes space and makes solid tackles most every single time. He is about as sure of a tackler as they come. Fancy statistical study, or not, he is an elite SS.

Landry is not needed on this team with Doughty, they are both SS and Doughty is the better of the two. Landry is a great SS and plays slightly better pass coverage (both are meh) but he cannot fill the FS role, which is what we need. We could let Doughty go and Landry could hold down the SS position, but Doughty is much much much cheaper.

That 51st ranking is a bit below-average among the ranked safeties. However, I would venture to say that Doughty's coverage rating is average or even above-average vs. other strong safeties.

Statistically, which could be wrong (though I doubt it), he is average. Which is perfect for a SS. If he were elite at both we would be spending way too much money out there. If he were below average then it would hurt what he provides in run support. Last year he defended 3 passes and snagged 1 INT, the first of his career. Ed Reed has 46 career INTs (8 seasons), 6 TDs, and defended 9 passes or more every year put last season when he was hurt and missed games. He has only had one season with more than 80 tackles (85), Reed had over 90 (again) last season with limited action.

Two totally different concepts, Ed Reed is not even close to the run stopping presence taht Reed Doughty is and vice-versa. Ed Reed has average 3.9 tackles a game over his career, Doughty had more 6 or more (over 8 four times) in 10 of his 15 games.

Two totally different concepts, Ed Reed is not even close to the run stopping presence taht Reed Doughty is and vice-versa. Ed Reed has average 3.9 tackles a game over his career, Doughty had more 6 or more (over 8 four times) in 10 of his 15 games.

lol, reading that became confusing. Imagine if we traded for Ed Reed, then we would have the unstoppable (run or pass) duo of Ed Reed Doughty.

Make it stop! Please lol this chuck norris worship of decent players like Colt Brennan and Reed Doughty. Man Reed is good for us, a good guy, a solid player, a sound tackler who isn't out of position much, blue collar etc etc. but come on man, stop the all pro stuff, he isn't a game changer, he doesn't have to be game planned for, or keep your head on a swivel when he's lurking. He's a nice part of the puzzle, that does his job, I appreciate him for that and he did step it up last season. HTTR.

When we drafted LL30 we had a smash mouth hard hitter turn center field ball hawk ST21 (RIP). With the area 51 combo in tact ST21 lead the league in int's and we had a pretty fierce SS in LL30. Now what we had this year was a smaller FS in LL trying to play center field when he's always been a up in the box type of player. This caused many problems. As we have seen our pass defense is soft and LL, and the corners along with the sceme didn't help. If we can find a servicable FS and coaching we can restore LL career and everyone will be happy!

If we can find a servicable FS, we can put Landry's butt on the bench were it belongs. No reason to take A decent safety out of the game so that Landry can continue to preen after making a tackle (when he just missed four other tackles). Luckily this coaching staff and FO have nothing invested in Landry and can put the best players on the field regardless of their draft position.

That 51st ranking is a bit below-average among the ranked safeties. However, I would venture to say that Doughty's coverage rating is average or even above-average vs. other strong safeties.

I'd agree. His coverage responsibilities are very limited though, probably even more limited than Horton's were when he was on the field, more limited than any cover 2 strong safeties would be, and far more limited than the coverages LaRon drew. Reed does a decent job doing what we ask him, but it's still a liability having a guy on the field who can't really draw deep halves or deep thirds and also has a hard time staying with wide receivers in man. These limits were exacerbated by our corners too, who, with few exceptions, looked terrible in off zone coverage and I think it's one of the biggest reasons we struggled in cover 3. Getting Moore and Landry on the field together gives us a much better ability to go cover 2 man which in turn will make Rogers, Tryon, and Smoot look a lot better. That alone is reason to consider moving Landry to SS.

Interestingly, looking at those Doughty stats, he was actually pretty good in coverage too. He allowed a high percentage of completions, yes(about the same as Landry), but they were all shorter passes. He was near the top of the league in the lowest long allowed(23 yards), and in yards per completion(8.9). So the passes he did allow were all shorter. Elite is a special group of players that clearly Doughty doesnt fit in to. But he has been very good recently.

I wonder if there are any other legitimate rankings systems out there. I can't imagine any of them ranking Laron higher than Reed.

When safeties get beat points are scored. Reed can get beat once and get more grief from critics than Laron does from getting beat three times in one game. Everyone remembers the T.O. beats Reed took in Dallas from a couple of years ago more than they remember the beatings Laron took costing us game after game just a couple of months ago.

I guess love is blind - even in football.

I don't think Doughty is full-time starter capable. However, I think he is almost invaluable in the reserve role.

Like others have said, he is simply a solid player. However, at the safety position you need play making ability and coverage skils, both of which Doughty doesn't have a wealth of. But we would be stupid to let him go because he is that valuable as a back-up and spot duty.

Archived