Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo News: Republicans Cindy and Meghan McCain Support Gay Marriage Movement

Ellis

And explain to me how the government sponsoring it makes it different then if it was done without government involvement?

If there is no tax benefit then why get married, if the government does recognize the financial obligations that marriage and having kids bring then it could chase the court battles on support.

If there is no tax benefit then why get married, if the government does recognize the financial obligations that marriage and having kids bring then it could chase the court battles on support.

It would take it back to getting married for the reason you should get married. To make a public announcement of your love and devotion to another person. Financial perks should have nothing to do with it.

I'm in the military and see the financial benefit offered by the military to getting married. I see many guys getting married because they will get married pay. that is why so many military people get married and divorced so quickly.

Seems to me if you get divorced then you should lose that pay, incentive to stay married.

It's called dependent pay. So if you are married you have a dependent and get paid. If you have a kid, then even after the divorce you still get paid because you still have a dependent.

Are you saying losing the money should be the incentive to stay married, not if you actually love that person?

What happens is sailor meets girl, thinks love and sees higher pay as motivation to get married ASAP. they have kid, realize they got married to soon, and end up like half the other couples in America. I have still yet to hear a real argument why the government should have a part in marriage.

*FYI: I got married a few months ago. Was dating for a few years and I'm 27, she is 25. We didn't do it for the money but my paycheck went up about $300 a month for getting married.

It's called dependent pay. So if you are married you have a dependent and get paid. If you have a kid, then even after the divorce you still get paid because you still have a dependent.

Are you saying losing the money should be the incentive to stay married, not if you actually love that person?

What happens is sailor meets girl, thinks love and sees higher pay as motivation to get married ASAP. they have kid, realize they got married to soon, and end up like half the other couples in America. I have still yet to hear a real argument why the government should have a part in marriage.

*FYI: I got married a few months ago. Was dating for a few years and I'm 27, she is 25. We didn't do it for the money but my paycheck went up about $300 a month for getting married.

Well if you are only marrying them for money they you did not love them in the first place.

And you probably will never see anything you like much like people decide for themselves what is constitutional and not constitutional no matter what the courts rule.

Well if you are only marrying them for money they you did not love them in the first place.

That is what I am saying. The government offering perks to getting married gives people incentive for getting married for the wrong reasons. Keep the government out of it and people start getting married for the right reasons again.

That is what I am saying. The government offering perks to getting married gives people incentive for getting married for the wrong reasons. Keep the government out of it and people start getting married for the right reasons again.

Just because there are perks does not excuse personal resposibily to do things right.

It is legal to smoke and drink to excess at home but I will pay a price for doing so I do not do it.

Just because there are perks does not excuse personal resposibily to do things right.

It is legal to smoke and drink to excess at home but I will pay a price for doing so I do not do it.

But the government does don't give you financial benefits for smoking and drinking at home. They shouldn't give you financial gain for acting irresponsibly

Sorry, but if your position is that you want the government to give an immediate, drastic pay cut to every married person in the military then you aren't getting my vote.

Not a pay cut to those who are married. In that case, I would take a pay cut also. I think they should pay all military the same. We all do the same job, married or not.

But the government does don't give you financial benefits for smoking and drinking at home. They shouldn't give you financial gain for acting irresponsibly

What are you talking about once I do in my liver and lungs I then get healthcare.

All the government is doing is aknowledging that a married person will need more of their income to support another person and or children.

What are you talking about once I do in my liver and lungs I then get healthcare.

All the government is doing is aknowledging that a married person will need more of their income to support another person and or children.

And I don't agree that the government should pay for health insurance for people that made those bad decisions....but that isn't the argument in this forum.

Getting married and having children is a personal choice and when you make that choice, you are agreeing to be financially obligated to those people. I shouldn't get paid more because I buy a boat and am therfore financially obligated to the bank to pay for that. People need to be treated equally no matter the choices that made. And held accountable for those choices.

I think I've settled this in my own mind. Civil unions for all. Gay, straight, polygamist, swinger, whatever floats your boat; get your thang thang on. If you want to get married, find a church that will marry you whatever your preferences are.

I would say that I still see value in traditional marriage, but I don't want to be thought a Neanderthal by our more enlightened liberal friends.

And I don't agree that the government should pay for health insurance for people that made those bad decisions....but that isn't the argument in this forum.

Getting married and having children is a personal choice and when you make that choice, you are agreeing to be financially obligated to those people. I shouldn't get paid more because I buy a boat and am therfore financially obligated to the bank to pay for that. People need to be treated equally no matter the choices that made. And held accountable for those choices.

Now you are comparing a boat to people?

What happens when people stop reproducing?

What happens if the US does nothing to offset costs but other nations do?

I think I've settled this in my own mind. Civil unions for all. Gay, straight, polygamist, swinger, whatever floats your boat; get your thang thang on. If you want to get married, find a church that will marry you whatever your preferences are.

I would say that I still see value in traditional marriage, but I don't want to be thought a Neanderthal by our more enlightened liberal friends.

I agree with the civil unions for all. Let them be considered family when it comes to hospital visitation. Just don't give them any financial gain in doing so or people will figure out a way to work the system.

I see the value in a traditional marriage also. But that is partly why I have kept my opinion on if gay marriage is right or wrong to myself. I don't want it to color peoples opinion of my argument.

Now you are comparing a boat to people?

What happens when people stop reproducing?

What happens if the US does nothing to offset costs but other nations do?

Do you honestly think Americans will stop reproducing if the government does not give a tax benefit to people that are married? :doh:

And I'm not comparing a boat to people. I'm saying that when people make a choice to become financially obligated to something, that is there choice and the government should not be giving benefits for it.

Do you honestly think Americans will stop reproducing if the government does not give a tax benefit to people that are married? :doh:

And I'm not comparing a boat to people. I'm saying that when people make a choice to become financially obligated to something, that is there choice and the government should not be giving benefits for it.

No they will not stop but you may end up paying for it through welfare.

How will the boat go one to help the country and economy overall vs children?

No they will not stop but you may end up paying for it through welfare.

How will the boat go one to help the country and economy overall vs children?

And I think welfare is another issue that needs to be resolved.

Does buying a boat not help the economy? I believe that is a part of trade that is a key part of capitolism. And how does the government giving breaks for getting married help the economy more then letting anyone get married to anyone else without giving a tax benefit?

And I think welfare is another issue that needs to be resolved.

Does buying a boat not help the economy? I believe that is a part of trade that is a key part of capitolism. And how does the government giving breaks for getting married help the economy more then letting anyone get married to anyone else without giving a tax benefit?

You will never get rid of welfare as an angry populace with nothing to lose is not good for a stable nation.

Does your boat help for generatiosn to come?

I am not sure what you are trying to say as I do not think I said only some should get the tax incentive.

You will never get rid of welfare as an angry populace with nothing to lose is not good for a stable nation.

Does your boat help for generatiosn to come?

I am not sure what you are trying to say as I do not think I said only some should get the tax incentive.

I agree that welfare is helpful but needs to come with limitations. Like no more the 1 year on welfare. I am all for helping someone who has fallen but only if they are helping themselves get back up.

If I buy a stick of gum or a new Mercedes, it is helping for generations to come. It is part of maintaining a free market society.

It has been said that only married people should get the married tax incentive. Which brings it back to if gays should be allowed to marry. If you take all financial benefit and government out of it and allow anyone to marry anyone else, then it gets rid of the whole big, ugly debate.

I agree that welfare is helpful but needs to come with limitations. Like no more the 1 year on welfare. I am all for helping someone who has fallen but only if they are helping themselves get back up.

If I buy a stick of gum or a new Mercedes, it is helping for generations to come. It is part of maintaining a free market society.

It has been said that only married people should get the married tax incentive. Which brings it back to if gays should be allowed to marry. If you take all financial benefit and government out of it and allow anyone to marry anyone else, then it gets rid of the whole big, ugly debate.

What happens if that person is seriously ill and it does not heal up in one year?

What if the economy is badly in the tank and there is no more employment benefits?

Buying stuff that gets used up does not help for generations to come, if you have kids they pay taxes and produce and reproduce.

Anyone who agrees to take on dependents should get tax breaks.

:yes:

As long as it's consenting, non-incestual adults (just to :stop: the "it'll lead to incest" crap).

Archived