Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need Kerry Collins at QB next season

SkinsBoss

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think kerry Collins would be a great fit for us next season. His cap number in Tennessee is too high for the Titans to keep him, he says he wants to still be a starter in this league and it's a foregone conclusion that Collins will be cut.

I know our issues on offense stem from Vinny's neglect of the offensive line. But I'm also for trading Jason Campbell particularly if we could land a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him which is very likely. (possible landing spots, Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland)

I like the idea of us drafting the better of Bradford or Clausen but I hate grabbing either one at the 4 spot. My ideal offseason would be for us to sign Collins as a stop gap for a year or two at the most. Let our rookie QB learn the NFL behind a veteran like Collins.

Meanwhile I would hope we could trade down from 4 add an extra pick and still get Bradford or Clausen. I happen to believe if we could get an extra 2nd or 3rd for Campbell plus an extra pick for trading down we would have great ammo to load up on the offensive line with possibly 3 2nd round picks all going to the O Line.

So as crazy as it sounds this idea of getting Collins would be coupled with him playing and starting in 2010 and possibly 2011 and we would also be able to draft a young QB and load up on drafting O Line heavy possibly 3 times in the second round.

Thoughts?

i realize that Collins has had some decent seasons RECENTLY, but with the way he played to start this past season (plus one more year in age), he is not a significant enough upgrade over campbell that we would need in order to give a first round QB time before he took over the reigns

jason either has one more year to prove himself (cue the "he has already had 10 seasons and he is 35 years old already" comments) or he plays a few games to give the new guy time. i think those are the only scenarios right now.

other problem is that no one will trade for campbell - not because of his ability, but because this is the final year of his contract.

best case scenario at qb? we draft one high, a contender has a big QB injury before week 6 (trade deadline) and we get trade JC to a desperate team. no matter what you think of him, jc is at the very leaset an upgrade over a backup or low round draft pick rookie.

I can't believe I'm saying this .....

NEITHER CAN WE! :nono:

I know our issues on offense stem from Vinny's neglect of the offensive line. But I'm also for trading Jason Campbell particularly if we could land a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him which is very likely. (possible landing spots, Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland)

I've spotted the flaw in your cunning plan here.

Only one team is dumb enough to do that. And we can't trade for our own guy. :doh:.

I like the idea of us drafting the better of Bradford or Clausen but I hate grabbing either one at the 4 spot. My ideal offseason would be for us to sign Collins as a stop gap for a year or two at the most. Let our rookie QB learn the NFL behind a veteran like Collins.

Meanwhile I would hope we could trade down from 4 add an extra pick and still get Bradford or Clausen. I happen to believe if we could get an extra 2nd or 3rd for Campbell plus an extra pick for trading down we would have great ammo to load up on the offensive line with possibly 3 2nd round picks all going to the O Line.

If we trade out of the 4 spot, there's no way, IMHO, we're getting a QB anywhere near the talent level to be our starter of the future. Bradford and Clausen that you mentioned will be long gone before we pick again.

Thoughts?

Not all thoughts should be threads. This is a prime example.

Sorry to be so cutting with the c&p man, but seriously, Kerry Collins? :yikes:

Has Jason Campbell taught you nothing? It'd be like swapping like for like, at best, yet somehow losing out. :doh:.

And on that, darn you for making me say I'd stick with that clown than a 37 year old average never was.

Hail.

If your going to try and lowball a veteran QB who has shown they can win in the past, I would much rather have Jeff Garcia than Kerry Collins. Jeff has won pretty much anywhere he went-except Cleveland, for obvious reasons-and has done it for different teams.

Collins really only showed up for the Titans 2 years ago, and then he loses the job this year to Vince Young. That tells me that Collins is streaky, and you dont want a streaky guy as your fill in QB. Garcia offers more, has the better arm, much better feet and is not afraid to run for a gain if nothing is open down field.

I call Garcia the Steve Young of the CFL, since Garcia was the "kid" that Calgary decided to go with instead of paying an aging Doug Flutie, and Flutie's success in Calgary was Montana-esque in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think kerry Collins would be a great fit for us next season. His cap number in Tennessee is too high for the Titans to keep him, he says he wants to still be a starter in this league and it's a foregone conclusion that Collins will be cut.

So as crazy as it sounds this idea of getting Collins would be coupled with him playing and starting in 2010 and possibly 2011 and we would also be able to draft a young QB and load up on drafting O Line heavy possibly 3 times in the second round.

Thoughts?

Why would any of those teams give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick (that they could use for Snead or McCoy) on Jason Campbell? Remember--The Cutler deal fell through because Denver preferred Kyle Orton to Jason Campbell. Campbell is NOT highly regarded throughout the league.

That being said, I'd honestly rather have Grossman (who know's KS's offense) than Collins, but the optimal situation is just to keep Campbell for one more year, regardless of what we do in the draft.

Besides... why would you want to bring a drunk racist to the nation's capital?

Campbell hasn't shown anything. There's no way we get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

I agree but i would be happy if we get anything for him maybe 1 pick of the 4th round. At best thats what he is worth given his performance over the last 3 years. As for Collins any stop gap will do but i believe we have allready got the perfect one in colt or collins. Draft the rookie qb of the future and go oline and possible running back with the rest of picks. We do need to aquire a few additional picks somehow. I believe this mess we have now will take two or three seasons to balance out to a solid team all the way around. Build a contender 1st .

Campbell wouldn't garner that high of a pick, simply because of the way we treated him.

Regardless of whether or not you believe he's a starter worthy QB, we can all agree that the Redskins did a very good job of alienating him last offseason, or at least the media certianly made it seem that way.

Nobody pays a premium price for a player on his way out, not unless said player has tons of upside. If I'm another NFL team that sees something in Campbell, I wouldn't let the Skins know that.

With that said, we would be forced to either sell Campbell for a late mid round pick, or another prospect who's stock has fallen. If the plan is to start a veteran QB until our future QB (whether its a draft pick or even CB) is ready, why not go with the familiar guy in Campbell? He'll be cheaper, he already has a relationship with the current crop of players, and in the possible but unlikely event that he lights it up, you'll have a relatively young prospect who can garner you a high pick, assuming we still follow the plan with our young prospect.

On the other hand, if an aging vet comes in and produces the same results as Campbell, we'll be able to get less for him owing to his age.

I agree but i would be happy if we get anything for him maybe 1 pick of the 4th round. At best thats what he is worth given his performance over the last 3 years.

His worth and his value are two completely different things.

Teams in the NFL don't pay for trash. Campbell might have shown improvement, but this board is a great example of how the NFL views him- nothing more than a competent QB at best.

Now, while I disgree with that assessment, the fact is that that is reality. And as such, no team will pay that much for him.

Take for example Erasmus James. A former 1st round pick who was traded for a mere 7th rounder, and a conditional pick at that. James was still young, and had ideal size, so how come he couldn't bring in a higher pick? Simply put, NFL teams don't like to make it seem like they can make the best out of a failed prospect.

We brought him in for cheap and tried our best. We failed, but in reality, wouldn't you rather have potential and size in James, than a tiny DE in a late round draft pick? The answer is probably yes, but you still don't sell that card, it's just bad business.

Why would any of those teams give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick (that they could use for Snead or McCoy) on Jason Campbell? Remember--The Cutler deal fell through because Denver preferred Kyle Orton to Jason Campbell. Campbell is NOT highly regarded throughout the league.

That being said, I'd honestly rather have Grossman (who know's KS's offense) than Collins, but the optimal situation is just to keep Campbell for one more year, regardless of what we do in the draft.

Besides... why would you want to bring a drunk racist to the nation's capital?

Why do people keep spreading this false statement "Denver preferred Orton over Campbell", that's not true at all. That's what you ES know it all took from it, the fact was Washington didn't have or wanted to give up two 1st round and a 3rd round pick plus Jason Campbell for Jay Cutler. PERIOD!!!!!!! We would've been CRAZY to do that and I'm glad we didn't.

4 players for a bum QB would've been Denver rapping Washington yet again and we said NO!!!!!

RED06

Archived