Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: New York Times to Charge for Frequent Access to Its Web Site

MattFancy

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/business/media/21times.html?hp

The New York Times announced Wednesday that it intended to charge frequent readers for access to its Web site, a step being debated across the industry that nearly every major newspaper has so far feared to take.

Starting in early 2011, visitors to NYTimes.com will get a certain number of articles free every month before being asked to pay a flat fee for unlimited access. Subscribers to the newspaper’s print edition will receive full access to the site.

But executives of The New York Times Company said they could not yet answer fundamental questions about the plan, like how much it would cost or what the limit would be on free reading. They stressed that the amount of free access could change with time, in response to economic conditions and reader demand.

“This announcement allows us to begin the thought process that’s going to answer so many of the questions that we all care about,” Arthur Sulzberger Jr., the company chairman and publisher of the newspaper, said in an interview. “We can’t get this halfway right or three-quarters of the way right. We have to get this really, really right.”

This will be interesting to see how it plays out. If it goes well, more newspapers will certainly follow suit. I guess its their last chance to get people to buy newspapers and not read everything online.

I hope it works. I think that this is what the newspapers should have done at the beginning. It's probably too late now. Even if most other significant papers follow suit.

I agree. I kinda think this is a last ditch effort. Its going to be hard to charge people now for stuff they have been getting for free. If it works, more power to them. I think its going to be tough to persuade people to pay to read news online.

The ****? Not again.

I thought they got rid of this ****. They used to do that at first, remember? And then they made it free for all.

I frequently read the NY Times Food section and have the RSS feeds on Google so this might impact me. The NY Times will not see a cent from me

I think that all newspapers should do something like that. Why not? I would limit access to people who have a subscription. Those people can choose to have just online or both online and paper.

Really, it's odd that all newspapers offer their content up for free when it used to require people to pay for it (even if it is as low as $0.25 per issue).

I think newspapers need to figure out micropayments and go that route. Pay by the article. Keeping reporters and staff on hand costs money. Most of the demand for content is probably from the internet at this point (and if not, it will be). They need to figure out a way to monetize that, or make like the dinosaurs, rollover, and die.

I think newspapers need to figure out micropayments and go that route. Pay by the article. Keeping reporters and staff on hand costs money. Most of the demand for content is probably from the internet at this point (and if not, it will be). They need to figure out a way to monetize that, or make like the dinosaurs, rollover, and die.

There needs to be a model for sure, and hopefully a smooth one, perhaps via something like Paypal or Amazon. It's frustrating to be given a link to a website such as WSJ Online and then realize that registration or some longer commitment is required.

I buy HBR articles all the time and wouldn't think about paying a dollar or two (or more) if I thought the article was worth a few minutes of my time.

There needs to be a model for sure, and hopefully a smooth one, perhaps via something like Paypal or Amazon. It's frustrating to be given a link to a website such as WSJ Online and then realize that registration or some longer commitment is required.

I buy HBR articles all the time and wouldn't think about paying a dollar or two (or more) if I thought the article was worth a few minutes of my time.

Yeah, there needs to be some process where the site can just debit from your account whatever the cost is per article as you access it. Good idea.

Archived