Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fried Shift Key

method man

So i was foolishly eating fruit near my laptop and I accidentally spilled a little watermelon juice on the keyboard. Right now, my left shift key is fried and my computer is basically on permanent shift.

A temporary solution that is working for now is deactivating the shift key with the on-screen keyboard. However, is there any way that I can fix the key itself?

So i was foolishly eating fruit near my laptop and I accidentally spilled a little watermelon juice on the keyboard. Right now, my left shift key is fried and my computer is basically on permanent shift.

A temporary solution that is working for now is deactivating the shift key with the on-screen keyboard. However, is there any way that I can fix the key itself?

Maybe pry the key off and clean the switch that is underneath? That's the bad thing about a laptop vs. a desktop. With the latter you could just buy a new keyboard.

My P button fell off my laptop...So i had to pull off the ~ button and stick it where the P was...

I just can't help but think there is something wrong about that statement. Can't put my finger on it, but...I'm just not sure...it could be, but then again...

Maybe pry the key off and clean the switch that is underneath? That's the bad thing about a laptop vs. a desktop. With the latter you could just buy a new keyboard.

I would think this would do it. When fruit juice dries it's actually kind of sticky so a simple cleaning should free up the key.

Also- with most modern laptops you can just buy an external USB or fire wire keyboard.

Stuff like this usually doesn't do permanent damage if you can get it out.

If you are really brave, you might be able to take the laptop apart, pull the keyboard and wash it out with lots of clean water (doing a final rinse with distilled water), then letting it dry for several days to a week before putting it all back together. (some can take longer) Of course this would pretty much void the warranty on everything else. The downside is that there is always some slight risk of making things worse. I guess it all comes down to how new and expensive it is.

If you don't feel up to it, contact a small local repair shop and see if they are willing to try and how much they would charge. Though I suspect they would rather just replace the keyboard. And if it's an older model or a cheaper one it may not be worth the cost.

Otherwise Chachie hit on a good point about plugging in an external keyboard though that isn't much help on the road. And if you do try popping off just that key and maybe a few around it, use some Q tips and rubbing alcohol to do the cleaning.

Good luck.

Archived