Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: FBI joines probe of Marvin Harrison gun case

MattFancy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4826851&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Philadelphia police have enlisted the FBI to help investigate whether the fatal shooting of a convicted drug dealer last July is related to an earlier incident in which the victim claimed that he was shot by former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison, ESPN has learned.

Doesn't sound good for Harrison. I don't think anyone would've seen this coming from him.

Also check out the GQ story below. If true, he's in BIG trouble.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison

Lot's of new information but not a lot of context. Why did the fight start in the first place?

What I mean is, Harrison had no business pulling out guns and blazing away at the guy unless it was self defense (which it does not appear to be at all). But what made him beat the dude down as reported by GQ in the first place?

The dude was a convicted drug dealer.. was he dealing in Marvins club? If so was Marvin trying to chase the dude off? Did they know each other before this? Was Marvin involved with anything *with* the guy?

After the fight.It sounds like the dude blocked Marvin in so he couldn't leave. In effect cornering him. They argued and the dude called someone. Backup? Was Marvin in fear for his life at that point? If so however, it still doesnt explain unloading two guns on someone in the middle of the street as they are trying to get away is still WAY over the top. Sounds like he was trying to kill him to me.

Then there is the actual murder. If the guy was an active drug dealer, he could have had any number of people who wanted to kill him. Happens all the time. But still, it sounds like a hit. And from there it's not hard to imagine that a rich guy like Marvin could have arranged it considering he tied to kill him once before. A third possibility is that a thug friend of Marvin's did it on his own, maybe thinking he was helping.

It's all so crazy. Surreal even. Marvin Harrison? Wow.

Something tells me this could get stranger still.

It's thuggery and it's a horrible example to the youth of this country. The downside, of prosecuting a high profile (wealthy) individual is the prosecutors will be willing to make deals to avoid a costly trial, when making an example of the high profile personality would be best for everyone. I like the law in FL. Pull a gun out, in the commission of a crime- mandatory- 10 years, fire the weapon- 20 years, kill someone- life minimum.

There was another story in ESPN the Magazine almost exactly a year ago that did not paint a rosy picture about Harrison and his character. I am trying to figure out how this original case, and then the murder of Dixon just kind of went away. Especially with a hall of fame worthy athlete centrally involved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3827402

It's thuggery and it's a horrible example to the youth of this country. The downside, of prosecuting a high profile (wealthy) individual is the prosecutors will be willing to make deals to avoid a costly trial, when making an example of the high profile personality would be best for everyone. I like the law in FL. Pull a gun out, in the commission of a crime- mandatory- 10 years, fire the weapon- 20 years, kill someone- life minimum.

All well in good until you pull a gun out when someone is trying to attack you and the prosecutors decide you caused it because a gun conviction looks better on their resume. Assault is a crime, 10 years min. Have a great decade.

I hate any law that puts any more power in the hands of prosecutors. I trust judges infinitely more than prosecutors that are trying to appear "tough on crime".

Is it really that much of a shock that Marvin Harrison could act this way?

Nobody ever actually knew a thing about the guy. He didn't talk at all. Even to his teammates, as you could see when they showed him just sitting by himself on the bench. And it's not like he was the kind of guy to score a TD and always calmly hand it over to the referee and act like a true sportsman on the field. He spiked a football at a couple of Patriots players after catching a TD in a playoff game.

I'd be more surprised if Chad Johnson was caught pulling a gun on someone.

People in sports equate bad press to bad person. Someone tell me, how many convictions does TO have. He's the most hated player in the league.

Yep. He may not be the best teammate but ten times out of ten, I'd trust TO more than I would Harrison.

BTW, there's been a lot out about Harrison for years. Remember the Pro Bowl incident where some kid was beaten up by Marvin's posse (and Marvin was accused of throwing a punch) because he asked for an autograph? At the time, it sounded absurd, but now? I believe it happened.

Harrison is also alleged to have told Manning, "Remember where your bread is buttered" when Reggie Wayne started to emerge as an elite wideout and one of Peyton's top targets. Now, that's just athletic arrogance, maybe not the worst thing, but it is definitely not in his public persona, but it turns out that Marvin is one of those real thugs: "Real gangsta-ass nz don't talk much."

Harrison won't get anything.

Listen, if they had any hard evidence (Feds included) on Marvin then an arrest would of already been made. The shooting took place last summer, and in January suddenly the FBI is stepping in?

Sorry, but I don't see anything ever coming to light.

Harrison won't get anything.

Listen, if they had any hard evidence (Feds included) on Marvin then an arrest would of already been made. The shooting took place last summer, and in January suddenly the FBI is stepping in?

Sorry, but I don't see anything ever coming to light.

Or they do like they do in a lot of these cases and wait until they've got an ironclad case before making an arrest. Harrison can afford the best attorneys and won't be relying on a plea.

Second Witness Against Harrison Comes Forward

It sure looks like he did it.

~Bang

It will be interesting to see how prosecutors proceed with it now that it is in the mainstream.

This whole story has been in the mainstream here in Philly for quite a while. The DA, Lynn Abraham, constantly said there wasn't enough evidence to proceed any further. Funny, now there is a new Philly DA -- maybe he is the one re-addressing this whole situation.

All well in good until you pull a gun out when someone is trying to attack you and the prosecutors decide you caused it because a gun conviction looks better on their resume. Assault is a crime, 10 years min. Have a great decade.

I hate any law that puts any more power in the hands of prosecutors. I trust judges infinitely more than prosecutors that are trying to appear "tough on crime".

Destino, if you take a concealed weapons course you'll understand the answer to your question. The instructor, of the course I took, gave us 100's of pages of case law, gun laws, and recent court decisions to read (and a list books, and websites), in order to educate ourselves about what would constitute "a lawful shooting". And there are no guarantees, any judge can decide that yours was not. And If you don't have a permit to carry, then you should go to jail for carrying without one.

Archived