Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comparing Ryan, Manning, Claussen, Bradford, Campbell

Looking For Number Four

Looking for is a collage QB Junkie . If we don't take his boy Bradford I doubt we see him again .

I like how people who say they have concerns about taking a QB at No.4. Overall who has had a major injury in his right throwing shoulder ( think Chad Pennington - 8 years 2 full seasons) get accused of making stuff up where as it is fine to dismiss the All Pro Joe Thomas .

Look if we were playing against Texas Tech I would love to have Bradford, but this is the NFL . As well as Bradfords shoulder I am concerned he has been behind an amazing OL and got sacked something like 23 times in total since 2007 . When he did get hit he ends up tearing up his shoulder .

:rotflmao:

But Portis saying this means he is a plague and should be banished regardless of the $6M it burns into the air...... :doh:

Sometimes saying nothing is the smart thing to do, especially when you know your statements will be blown out of proportion. We'll be reminded of this bickering, into next year.

"And here comes Jason Campbell, onto the field. Some of you might remember what was said between him & Clinton Portis, after last year's self-destructive season." :doh:

We all understood CP's point, of course. But that doesn't make his statement a great idea.

If a QB is drafted #4, whoever it is, so be it. Although I hope we draft Okung or another OL.

I have faith in Shanny and will support the QB he dubs as the starter.

Stats can be used to support anyone's point of view. The only stat that really matters to me is wins v. losses. I'll take any QB who can get us some victories over those NFC east jabronies.

Bradford is borderline genius, quick release, knows exactly what he is going to do prior to the snap. Polar opposite of our current starter.

Borderline genius? Where did you get that? I'm not saying he isn't smart...but where did the genius thing come from? Yes he has a quick release and yes many times it seems he knows what he is going to do prior to the snap (some of that has to do with the system). But that doesn't mean he would be successful in an NFL offense with an NFL pass rush coming at him when he simply isn't used to pressure. Watch highlights of him. He has all day to throw most of the time. The fact that he apparently gets the defensive reads from the booth or the sidelines doesn't really help, especially in a transition from a more simple college spread system to an NFL offense with reads at the line.

I admittedly don't follow college football very closely so my opinion on this issue isn't worth as much as people who do, but it seems to me that taking a QB at #4 would effectively be the nail in Brennan's coffin. He has very good accuracy and decent mobility, and it seems like he'd be a good fit in Shannahan's offense, so I lean towards giving JC & Brennan another shot and put most of our attention on fixing the Oline. However, even though I've backed JC this year and still think he's at least a decent NFL QB, I'm not necessarily opposed to drafting a QB, at #4 or otherwise, and possibly have JC fill the role that Kitna filled in Cincy during Palmer's rookie year.

Joe Thomas has also had two seasons where his team finished with 5 wins or less.

elite QB + average line >>>> elite line + average QB. Just ask the Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings have a VERY VERY Good offensive line . Not sure of your point there . I am not sure you can really point to a constantly good team and say there line is terrible ... The Browns is an odd case because their line looks well stacked and a cohesive unit, but then there is something odd in cleaveland in players not playing up to their potential . Joe Thomas also has been to the probowl in 2007,2008 and 2009 . That is the kind of production I want out of a top 10 pick . Having said that though watching Bradfords 2008 highlight real I have to say i am impressed .

I hope this has not been posted, apologies if so.

This kind of stuff is posted about 100 times a day in one of 1.1 million JC sucks threads..God I can't wait for the draft so we can either put this Bradford talk to rest or if Shanny does draft a QB in the 1st we can move on and start over again..Lord hear our prayer.

Wishful thinking! All that happens after the draft is we get 1.1 million threads with people who agree with the QB chosen or why that QB will fail; about why we should never have takena QB; why we should have stuck with Campbell; etc. etc.

ES is just warming up for a very long offseason.

Borderline genius? Where did you get that? I'm not saying he isn't smart...but where did the genius thing come from? Yes he has a quick release and yes many times it seems he knows what he is going to do prior to the snap (some of that has to do with the system). But that doesn't mean he would be successful in an NFL offense with an NFL pass rush coming at him when he simply isn't used to pressure. Watch highlights of him. He has all day to throw most of the time. The fact that he apparently gets the defensive reads from the booth or the sidelines doesn't really help, especially in a transition from a more simple college spread system to an NFL offense with reads at the line.
Well, compared to Candle, who can stare right at an uncovered secondary player on the LOS and miss him, he sounds like a genius.

The Vikings have a VERY VERY Good offensive line . Not sure of your point there . I am not sure you can really point to a constantly good team and say there line is terrible ... The Browns is an odd case because their line looks well stacked and a cohesive unit, but then there is something odd in cleaveland in players not playing up to their potential . Joe Thomas also has been to the probowl in 2007,2008 and 2009 . That is the kind of production I want out of a top 10 pick . Having said that though watching Bradfords 2008 highlight real I have to say i am impressed .

He didn't make this point very well, but my takeaway from the Vikings between last year and this year is that you can only go so far with a bad to mediocre QB, no matter how good your RB, OL, and defense are. If the Vikings go with Tavaris Jackson this year, they are a borderline playoff team. With a solid QB, they have a first round bye.

I would also look at the Titans. Pretty good D, solid OL, incredible running back. Look at the turnaround when they put in a different QB

It seems to me at a certain point this team needs to take a chance again and pick a QB very early in the draft. This is how the majority of good teams have acquired their qbs. And by early I mean top half of the first round, not 2nd half. That is how we got stuck with Ramsey and Campbell. I hope they take the chance now. Even if it means picking him at #4. I think Clausen and Bradford are two really good choices (I'm leaning Clausen). Both of these guys have way more upside than Campbell, Ramsey or Shuler ever did. Plus we finally have a real modern coaching staff.

I'm sick of this revolving door of stiffs we've had to live with at QB for the last 17 years

I think the better example would be the Carolina Panthers, who have an elite running game, defense, offensive line, and even pretty damn good WRs. But they sucked for most of the season because they lacked a QB who could make plays.

The Titans are another obvious example.

In regards to "drafting the next Ryan Leaf", Ryan Leaf's problem was 1000% character. While Peyton Manning worked his ass off every day from the minute he stepped into the NFL, Ryan Leaf thought he could sleepwalk his way to a 15 year career and Super Bowl glory. He was a lazy, unmotivated, mentally soft ******* who treated everyone he ever came across like crap. And he was a druggie to boot. Who knows how far back Leaf's drug problems extended? If he was on drugs while leading his team to BCS bowl wins...that just says a lot about the talent he already possessed. Too bad his head wasn't screwed on straight.

Ryan Leaf just didn't have the mental makeup to succeed in the NFL. Mental makeup is not a problem with either Clausen or Bradford.

There are very few (no?) quarterbacks who are productive in the NFL and WEREN'T productive in college. That's not to say that all productive QBs are good obviously, but you've got to remember that guys like Bradford played with a stellar supporting cast. Clausen's certainly wasn't bad either (on offense at least).

My reservation about Bradford is that he looks decidedly average in big games against elite competition. Add in durability concerns and that's a hell of a gamble.

I just hope we can trade down. I dont see anyone I want with the #4 pick. Neither QB looks like they are elite and I dont see a truely elite LT out there either. I'd like to trade down, get a addition pick and still get a LT, and then maybe a RG with the addition pick. Kinda hoping Levi Jones can switch to RT and be solid there, but that's putting alot on hope.

And from the sound of it, Bradford was also able to look to the sideline and get advice on the defense he was looking at, and which play to run from there. Big contrast from making decisions at the line as a QB in the NFL.

Joe Thomas was a bust this season? "Bust" as in failure? Joe Thomas was named All-Pro today.

And what injury concerns does Orakpo have?

Orakpo injury:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/24/769138/brian-orakpo-hamstring-inj

Joe Thomas bust:

http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/2009_OLine/cleveland_browns.htm

LT ranked 27th

I just hope we can trade down. I dont see anyone I want with the #4 pick. Neither QB looks like they are elite and I dont see a truely elite LT out there either. I'd like to trade down, get a addition pick and still get a LT, and then maybe a RG with the addition pick. Kinda hoping Levi Jones can switch to RT and be solid there, but that's putting alot on hope.

I can buy into that, defiantly the safest method by which to draft. I suppose Campbell has shown steady improvement year over year and Shanny, Jr. might be able to take him up a notch or two.

Although, we kind of did that during the Thomas, Davis, Kelly fiasco and that has yet to play out to what was hoped. Davis did catch 5 TDs in four games but he also had every red zone target available and yardage was not there. Thomas and Kelly are heading into their 3rd years which is supposedly the year they shine. Kelly certainly did the most he could in his last game to put that in the forefront of our minds. Nonetheless, the injuries, negative attitudes, and tardiness certainly did not get them off on the right step.

Rivers and Peyton were just as big a question mark. There does seem to be perennial Brady/Romo sits to pee-like QBs coming out of the woodwork. Campbell would be serviceable if he could cracnk it a couple more levels, which could come from Davis and Cooley combo along with Thomas and Kelly hit their third year. His deer in headlights deal just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

There is probably a team that would give up an eye popping amount for that pick, I think this is where I would strongly consider.

There are very few (no?) quarterbacks who are productive in the NFL and WEREN'T productive in college. That's not to say that all productive QBs are good obviously, but you've got to remember that guys like Bradford played with a stellar supporting cast. Clausen's certainly wasn't bad either (on offense at least).

My reservation about Bradford is that he looks decidedly average in big games against elite competition. Add in durability concerns and that's a hell of a gamble.

He threw for 380 yards and 5 TDs against Texas.

What were Ryan Leaf's numbers in college?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/stats/1997/PAC10confstats.html

He threw for 3637, 33 TDs, 10 INTs at Washington State... not exactly the same kind of background as Bradford's 50 TDs 8 INTs and 4700 yards or Claussen working flawlessly in a pro system for three years....

I hope a team will do this for our pick:

When they entered the 1998 draft, Manning and Leaf were widely considered to be the two best overall players in the draft.[7] The San Diego Chargers held the third pick of the draft, but made a trade with the Arizona Cardinals to guarantee their team would get one of the two quarterbacks. To move up to the second pick in the draft, the Chargers traded two first-round picks, a second-round pick, reserve linebacker Patrick Sapp and three-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.[9]

It seems to me at a certain point this team needs to take a chance again and pick a QB very early in the draft. This is how the majority of good teams have acquired their qbs. And by early I mean top half of the first round, not 2nd half. That is how we got stuck with Ramsey and Campbell. I hope they take the chance now. Even if it means picking him at #4. I think Clausen and Bradford are two really good choices (I'm leaning Clausen). Both of these guys have way more upside than Campbell, Ramsey or Shuler ever did. Plus we finally have a real modern coaching staff.

I'm sick of this revolving door of stiffs we've had to live with at QB for the last 17 years

Yeah, for a team that has the record for consecutive sold out games it really is baffling the franchise has not had a great QB since Baugh.

Gus Ferrote, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Joe Theisman....somehow made Pro Bowls :doh:

Jurgeson and Baugh are the only ones in the top 30 of the top 70 redskins of all-time. Baugh being number four, he invented the forward pass, and Jurgeson being number 30.

http://redskins.bridgelinesw.net/gen/articles/70_Greatest_Redskins_1373.jsp

Archived