Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comparing Ryan, Manning, Claussen, Bradford, Campbell

Looking For Number Four

I actually think this thread was needed, because I keep seeing people tell us how "there is no real franchise QB in this draft" while they totally discount what the QBs in this draft have DONE in their careers---and I'm talking all the way down to LeFevour.

People are totally discounting this QB crop and it is VERY MUCH superior to the last two years and I expect that next year will not be nearly as deep or as good. If Bradford comes out after his redshirt soph year, he's looking at close to the #1 overall. This doesn't mean he is a sure-fire hit, because no player is. Mandarich was taken at #1, Brian Bosworth (though not a bad player) was a "guaranteed pick," as were many others. Sorry, that's not how it works out. The draft is not a time where you select a guaranteed Hall of Fame player, even if you think very much that a particular guy is good.

The stuff said by the anti-QB people is trash and not worth taking at face value.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/player/522/1002906/passing/gamelog.html

Against Texas he did throw 2 INTs, but managed 5 TDs, connecting on 71% for 387, maybe we credit Orakpo for those INTs...

TCU's number one defense and number 7 ranking held him to 411 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs.

While playing number 12 Texas Tech, 16 OK State, and 19 Missouri he was between 304-384, throwing 4, 4, and 2 TDs.

Yeah, OK...those teams were half decent, but they also played Washington, Baylor, and K State who were all terrible teams.

Point being that Bradford played behind 1 of the most dominant olines in the country in a shotgun/spread offense. He had tons of time in most of those games. If you never watched their games, watch some of his highlight reels on you tube. I think he's talented, but who knows if he can really play and hold up in the NFL. Danny Wuerful was pretty awesome in college too.

Harrell should be in the NFL somewhere, that is just utterly absurd. They are saying the Sorgi and Curtis Painter are better ideas than Harrell? Not saying Harrell did not benefit, like your saying, but at least let the kid throw some in spring training before he is written off to Canada... This is exactly why J. Russell was the number one overall.
Russell actually put up some very impressive throwing numbers while leading one of the top teams in the SEC (named All-SEC QB of 2006 in the process) and had a cannon for an arm coming out. He had work ethic issues, but nobody could have guessed that he would put on 30 pounds in the offseason and get caught eating Skittles on the sidelines of NFL games.

Harrell played in a super QB friendly system and had really average arm strength. And couldn't do anything in Browns camp to impress anybody.

As for this year's draft, if we go QB at #4, I'm still not sold on Bradford. Clausen appears to me as the safest bet. He's been trained as a pro style QB basically his whole life, put up ridiculous numbers at Notre Dame in an NFL-like offense, and unfortunately had a terrible defense to back him up.

But I'll just have to trust the pedigree of Mike and Kyle Shanahan when it comes to evaluating who they think is the best guy for the job.

Yeah, OK...those teams were half decent, but they also played Washington, Baylor, and K State who were all terrible teams.

Point being that Bradford played behind 1 of the most dominant olines in the country in a shotgun/spread offense. He had tons of time in most of those games. If you never watched their games, watch some of his highlight reels on you tube. I think he's talented, but who knows if he can really play and hold up in the NFL. Danny Wuerful was pretty awesome in college too.

Wuerffel did not put up 50 TDs, 4700 yards....

He actually only threw for 39, 11 TDs away....

This is like saying don't draft Peyton Manning. At some point, you have to take a chance or hope that Brady or Romo sits to pee show up out of nowhere. I don't know that there is anything the Claussen or Bradford could have done to legitimatize there chances of being the next Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, etc. etc. etc. Shanny, Jr. will figure them out and make it work, I believe in that.

Wuerffel was also selected in the 4th round, 99th overall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Wuerffel

Bradford would have been number one overall last year and still might this year. Claussen is also highly touted by the "experts." Everyone knew Wuerffel would not translate, in the 4th round, one can hope.

This is like saying don't draft Peyton Manning. At some point, you have to take a chance or hope that Brady or Romo sits to pee show up out of nowhere.

Is the time to take chances when you have no tackles, no RG, an old center, and no Sam LB?

I don't know. I'd like to see them build a foundation first before taking chances. This team can't afford to take chances imo with so many holes.

If Shanahan and company think that 1 of these QBs is the guy, then might feel better about it, but I'm really hoping they trade down and add some more picks. We need to add a lot of young talent.

I'm not anti-QB lol. Just nervous about 1 of these guys busting at number 4 when the team has so many needs.

We could always draft the next Robert Gallery or Alex Barron. Or Jamal Reynolds...or Laron Landr...oops.

(BTW, not calling you anti-QB necessarily, just that at least you're honest about the nervousness. Some people are downright hostile to the idea of QB and make up things regarding the current crop of prospects.)

So was IND when they took Peyton Manning. SD has Drew Brees when they took Phillip Rivers. If Shanny, Jr. thinks he make something happen with either of them, I'm all in, period.

SD also traded down for Rivers and added picks, which is part of the reason they are such a deep team now.

Notre Dame started out like gangbusters, but their schedule was one of the easiest in the country. They played Nevada whose defense is worse than Notre Dame's. Claussen also came up small in some games that they should have won. They lost to UConn at home when he threw an INT, granted it was off another player. I think that Claussen is a fine College QB and might be a good QB in the NFL, but I don't think that he is the next coming and certainly wouldn't mortgage the franchise to get him. If he is there in the second round or something like that or even better third round take him.

Drafting a QB fourth will do nothing but a QB killed and keep us from improving for the next year.

I think Clausen played 5 or 6 passing defenses ranked 80 or worse, and I think he never played a passing defense better than Purdue and they weren't that great.

I really worry about how Bradford will handle pressure from opposing defenses. The guy usually had all day to throw the ball. He had an elite line protecting him his entire career. Add that to working mostly in the gun in a spread offense and it gives me a bad feeling, especially with how many problems we have at OL. Clausen was sacked more times in 2009 than Bradford was in 2007 and 2008 combined. Not saying I want Clausen at 4, either. I think he is also a reach. Just pointing out that Bradford was insanely protected.

I actually think this thread was needed, because I keep seeing people tell us how "there is no real franchise QB in this draft" while they totally discount what the QBs in this draft have DONE in their careers---and I'm talking all the way down to LeFevour.

People are totally discounting this QB crop and it is VERY MUCH superior to the last two years and I expect that next year will not be nearly as deep or as good. If Bradford comes out after his redshirt soph year, he's looking at close to the #1 overall. This doesn't mean he is a sure-fire hit, because no player is. Mandarich was taken at #1, Brian Bosworth (though not a bad player) was a "guaranteed pick," as were many others. Sorry, that's not how it works out. The draft is not a time where you select a guaranteed Hall of Fame player, even if you think very much that a particular guy is good.

The stuff said by the anti-QB people is trash and not worth taking at face value.

The stuff said by the anti-OT people is trash and not worth taking at face value.

See I can do it too. Just cause you have an opinion doesn't mean you're right.

Does accuracy account for anything in college? If a QB plays in a tougher division and has less accuracy then someone who played in a spread or run and shoot offense and has better accuracy does that mean they are less accurate because they are in a weaker division?

All of these QB you guys are talking about in this thread are less accurate then Colt5. One thing you can't teach a QB is accuracy. Mechanics and footwork - YES. Accuracy - NO!!!

Why aren't people here not interested in seeing one the most accurate QB in college history who happens to be a Redskins now get a shot at playing first?

Note: I don't watch college ball. So my post is serious. Someone with better knowledge then I please elaborate. Thank you in advance.

The O Line isnt going to get fixed in one draft. That being said IF Shanny & Co. like Bradford or Clausen and pick them then I will be totally happy. I also think that the QB draft class is DEEP and if we want a QB we can get our OT with the #4 pick and a QB with the #37. Either way I cant wait for the draft!!!

HTTR

I really worry about how Bradford will handle pressure from opposing defenses. The guy usually had all day to throw the ball. He had an elite line protecting him his entire career. Add that to working mostly in the gun in a spread offense and it gives me a bad feeling, especially with how many problems we have at OL. Clausen was sacked more times in 2009 than Bradford was in 2007 and 2008 combined. Not saying I want Clausen at 4, either. I think he is also a reach. Just pointing out that Bradford was insanely protected.

Bradford is borderline genius, quick release, knows exactly what he is going to do prior to the snap. Polar opposite of our current starter.

Claussen was mentored by one of the best and progressed in a pro system to the point he was nearly perfect.

If neither of these guys are worth this pick and likely to be franchise QB, I just don't know what could ever be. Both are highly touted by scouts and experts and have been since last year. I hated Campbell, Russell, and really did not love Ryan from day one. I'm a USC fan and watched him (Sanchez) decimate Peterino's Penn St. in the Rose Bowl by throwing 4 TDs to 0 INTs, love the guy. I also loved Leinart, far from perfect.

After this thread I think I'm happy with any decision that is made. Trade back and get picks, fine. Take Okung, sure, he seems as legitmate as they come. Taking Claussen or Bradford, would ABSOLUTELY love this move.

Let us not forget that Joe Thomas did bust this season. Jake Long also turned out to be exactly what he is, a mauling rush blocker. OTs are just as fickel as any other draft pick. I think Vinny deserves credit for Orakpo, he has injury concerns, Vinny saw what needed to be seen. Hopefully, Shanny and Bruce can do the same.

The O Line isnt going to get fixed in one draft. That being said IF Shanny & Co. like Bradford or Clausen and pick them then I will be totally happy. I also think that the QB draft class is DEEP and if we want a QB we can get our OT with the #4 pick and a QB with the #37. Either way I cant wait for the draft!!!

HTTR

What QB are you taking at #37?

Tebow is going to JAX, Claussen and Bradford go to STL and BUF, if not I cannot imagine every team letting them go, neither can any of the 72 mock drafts at hailredskins.com.

I'm taking Okung and Jason Fox and saying forget QB altogether. Build the line and run the ball to no end. Fox still drops to us even if we take QB in the first. It just seems like there is nothing better than him, perfect, OT, sitting there at that point. Snead is a joke and utter waste of space. Spike is supposed to fall, I don't know how that it is possible but that would be freakishly amazing. Dwyer would be great Portis replacement of the future if he is sitting there but I'm somewhat split there.

I want QB, many want OT, perhaps we should split the difference and just trade back and stock picks. Then we both win. It seems like no matter how certain one pick is or one is not, there is always a MJD lingering in the later rounds and stockpiling picks is the best way to overcome the uncertainty of drafts. Imagine what craziness teams would give for our pick.

Comparisons don't mean a whole lot, I'm going to leave it to Bruce, Shanny, & the scouting department to decide which QB's are worthy of the 4th pick and whether to take one of them or Okung. I'm hoping that we can somehow make a trade and get two 1st round picks, so we can do what the Falcons did in 08, they took Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick and then a LT (Sam Baker) with their other 1st rounder.

Bradford is borderline genius, quick release, knows exactly what he is going to do prior to the snap. Polar opposite of our current starter.
And from the sound of it, Bradford was also able to look to the sideline and get advice on the defense he was looking at, and which play to run from there. Big contrast from making decisions at the line as a QB in the NFL.
Let us not forget that Joe Thomas did bust this season. Jake Long also turned out to be exactly what he is, a mauling rush blocker. OTs are just as fickel as any other draft pick. I think Vinny deserves credit for Orakpo, he has injury concerns, Vinny saw what needed to be seen. Hopefully, Shanny and Bruce can do the same.
Joe Thomas was a bust this season? "Bust" as in failure? Joe Thomas was named All-Pro today.

And what injury concerns does Orakpo have?

Archived