Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post- Bugel: Shanahan's 'going to build the offensive line' (Merged)

21MadFan

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/bugel-shanahans-going-to-build.html

Whether or not you want to believe that Mike Shanahan expected or hoped Joe Bugel would stick around and coach his offensive line next season, we can probably at least agree that Bugel and Shanahan both respect and value offensive line play more than most in the league.

Bugel, who retired Wednesday, will still be watching the Redskins from afar, so I asked him what he expected to see out of the Washington line next season. "A great zone blocking team," Bugel responded.

"One thing about Shanny, he believes in the running game," Bugel said. "He don't mind calling 40-45 runs on a Sunday afternoon. He's going to build the offensive line. Then you can draft a back in the sixth or seventh round. If you have a solid big-time offensive line, Joe Doakes can play behind it."

Bugel thinks Shanahan will figure out a way to build off the existing personnel and said several players benefited from the adversity faced by this season's line.

"I think that's what they'll do," he said. "It's going to be a physical football team. I think the advantage this year was the young kids had to play. There's a lot of guys who probably wouldn't have played [who] played. So I think they got a little bit better, and they realized what it takes to play in the National Football League. I think they'll be better players after going through this past year."

While no one's going to argue that Levi Jones and Mike Williams are young players, others, such as Edwin Williams, Chad Rinehart, Will Montgomery and William Robinson all saw playing time because of injuries ahead of them on the depth chart. It's tough to imagine that Shanahan will review film of those players and start handing out starting jobs, though.

Bugel said Redskins' scouts have identified six or seven tackles who will be available in the draft, but he's not certain how Shanahan will use that No. 4 pick.

Shanahan's lines usually have smaller linemen who are quick on their feet and especially mobile. While Bugel's unit relied heavily on zone blocking schemes this season, it'll look markedly different when Shanahan finds better players to fill the trenches.

"One thing about Shanny, he believes in the running game," Bugel said. "He don't mind calling 40-45 runs on a Sunday afternoon. He's going to build the offensive line. Then you can draft a back in the sixth or seventh round. If you have a solid big-time offensive line, Joe Doakes can play behind it."

But this can't be right, all we need to do is draft a rook QB and our problems are solved! Buges obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.

I

Yes.

Which means it doesn't have to be with the 4th pick necessarily :)

Lol well played. I'm almost certain, with the 4th pick, we either trade down ( if a specific player drops to us) or we'll draft a QB/BPA. I personally feel the only way we draft Oline in the 1st is if we trade down, and a top tier OT is still on the board.

There are several linemen headed for the draft. Selvish Capers(RT) from West Virgina

Matt Tennett(Center) from Boston College. Young linemen who could get drafted, come right in, and play. I personally want to see entire different offensive line next year. With the exception of maybe Derrick Dockery, the Redskins should have a new LT, RT, RG, and C next year.

But this can't be right, all we need to do is draft a rook QB and our problems are solved! Buges obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.

It worked for the Ravens and Jets!.. Just get a rookie (or second year guy) and let him complete 6 or 8 passes and wala...You win a playoff game!

Buges is a much appreciated relic from the past ... he has done nothing since Molinaro and Wilson to earn his wreath. I wish him well ... but what does he really know?

in all fairness to bugel, we didnt really give him much to work with did we? you cant make a nice steak dinner with canned spam.

rinehart is the only real disappointment for bugel, its a shame a 3rd round G struggled that much. i wonder if rinehart will do better in shannys new blocking scheme, but lets be honest, they didnt give bugel a lot to work with.

Buges is a much appreciated relic from the past ... he has done nothing since Molinaro and Wilson to earn his wreath. I wish him well ... but what does he really know?

is there any need for a post like this? everyone (but you?) respects the guy, and he's just answering a question asked of him.

besides, he didn't even say anything really controversial. all he said was that both he and Shanahan believe that the OL needs to be addressed, and that an improved OL will greatly improve the offense. do you disagree with that?

I'm glad Shanahan feels this way because apparently Bugel and Gibbs sure didn't the second time around. Since all they did was basically take the marginal talent that they inherited and rode it into the ground and did nothing to groom next gen talent.

Maybe Shanahan will be more forward thinking than the folks running this team these last 8 years.

I

Lol well played. I'm almost certain, with the 4th pick, we either trade down ( if a specific player drops to us) or we'll draft a QB/BPA. I personally feel the only way we draft Oline in the 1st is if we trade down, and a top tier OT is still on the board.

It would be awesome if we could trade down a few spots for two more second-rounders, grab one of the top OT's, then in the second pick up the best OL available, best RB available, and best QB available (Tony Pike, Dan Lefevour). Then get 1-2 more more OL in the lower rounds.

Who wouldn't be happy with that draft?

Archived