Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post- Bugel: Shanahan's 'going to build the offensive line' (Merged)

21MadFan

You are absoulty right Suh, Berry or Okung all could bust out . But if they do it will not be because of a huge red warning flag about a twice injured shoulder .

You can never predict the future but lets think here . Eric Berry - highly praised, and with high acclamations an impact player has to now no injury issues . Russell Okung highly thought of, long collage career of starting and excelling nominated for awards - no Injury history of note . Ndamukong Suh - you get the idea, great player, highly thought of, high achiever - No injury issues .

Funny, because Suh actually seems to be more injury prone than Bradford. He's had multiple knee injuries and surgeries.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010nsuh.php

you never answered my other question: when was the last time you were impressed with a QB coming out of college?

Fine I'll bite. I thought Ryan looked like a pretty safe bet coming out. Polished, good arm and smart. (smart is very important) Flacco had all the physical tools, but I wasnt sure if going against less competion hid flaws. The jury is still out on both, obviously.

The last guy I absolutely KNEW was going to be great coming out was Peyton Manning. But I watched him for 4 years at UT as well, and had abit of homer going on as well. But he had EVERYTHING. Size, arm, very smart and the hardest working guy around. Unless he was injuried so badly he couldnt play again, I knew he was going to be great. Absolutely no question who to go for, Manning or Leaf. Leaf reminded me of Jeff George, but apparently worse. All the tools, but it was all wrong upstairs.

I got bad news for you, Morneblade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4799490

Whether you think so or not, Clausen is a top prospect and he's good enough to go #1 to the Rams.

Bad news? How so? Because he is a top rated QB in a draft devoid of alot of talent there? He still doesnt look good to me. He's smallish and doesnt seem to have a great arm. I liked his older brother Casey better actually. I hope they DO take him and then need to draft a QB in a couple years in the first round because he's the next Brady Quinn.....

you never answered my other question: when was the last time you were impressed with a QB coming out of college?

I'm a Bradford backer and the only other QB that I've been this excited about was Vince Young. Carson Palmer is the only other one that I didn't have major questions about. I liked Sanchez a lot, but still had a lot of questions. Like Roethlisberer, but had doubts. Liked Vick, his problem was work ethic, his gifts were his curse.

I think there have been more successful QB that I've doubted than anything. I can't think of anyone that I liked coming into the draft that has become a bust. There are some that I kinda like after they were drafted that became busts, but never before the draft.

Point is...Sam Bradford is the man.

LOL

The only major injury I have seen for Suh came in his Redshirt year in 2005 .

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=157537

And he missed some of the Spring practice following sujury in 2008 - That seemed to be nothing more than a scope which kind of comes with the turf as a DL or OL . Thing is he has shown he can deliver post injury ... Bradford not so much

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4202830

The Worst I came up with for Okung is a sprained ankle back in October

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66894&draftyear=2010&genpos=OT

And as for Berry ( Really not saying DB is a good fit at no.4. but he has played some QB and WR)

He reportedly played all season with a bad shoulder . But nothing that could not be managed or unexpected .

I'm a Bradford backer and the only other QB that I've been this excited about was Vince Young. Carson Palmer is the only other one that I didn't have major questions about. I liked Sanchez a lot, but still had a lot of questions. Like Roethlisberer, but had doubts. Liked Vick, his problem was work ethic, his gifts were his curse.

I think there have been more successful QB that I've doubted than anything. I can't think of anyone that I liked coming into the draft that has become a bust. There are some that I kinda like after they were drafted that became busts, but never before the draft.

Point is...Sam Bradford is the man.

LOL

I liked Palmer as well, but the PAC 10 doesnt impress me that much and I had questions about raising his level of play. I wasnt much on Vince Young at all. I liked Brees, but the height thing. Quinn I saw bust all over him. Actually thought Chris Simms might be pretty good. Thought Tom Brady looked good as well. Yeah, it's easy to say that now, but he had a great college career and played big in big games. Actually Michigan had several guys come out of there that looked good, Henne being another.

Fine I'll bite. I thought Ryan looked like a pretty safe bet coming out. Polished, good arm and smart. (smart is very important) Flacco had all the physical tools, but I wasnt sure if going against less competion hid flaws. The jury is still out on both, obviously.

The last guy I absolutely KNEW was going to be great coming out was Peyton Manning. But I watched him for 4 years at UT as well, and had abit of homer going on as well. But he had EVERYTHING. Size, arm, very smart and the hardest working guy around. Unless he was injuried so badly he couldnt play again, I knew he was going to be great. Absolutely no question who to go for, Manning or Leaf. Leaf reminded me of Jeff George, but apparently worse. All the tools, but it was all wrong upstairs.

I find this a bit funny. You mention Ryan and Flacco and their situations correlate very much with Bradford.

Like Ryan, Bradford is polished, has a comparable arm, and is apparently considered to be one of the smartest QB prospects to come out. He's also won more in his two years than Ryan did by the time he left as a senior. That's despite playing in the same conference and division as Colt McCoy who led a Texas team that was just coming off winning the national championship. Oh, and he was also the second sophomore in history to win the Heisman (even though Mark Ingram just made that stat less impressive).

There are two knocks on him, his injury and the spread system.

As far as the injury goes, if Dr. James Andrews gives us the OK and he works out for us, then there shouldn't be a problem. Also, him not getting surgery the first time and coming back with an injured shoulder to play and compete for a national championship should tell us a lot about his toughness and desire to win.

As for the spread system, that's not one of the concerns you've listed for Flacco. He played in the spread against lesser competition after he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko at Pitt. Bradford ran the spread against the top competition in the nation. Oklahoma's version of the spread also translates better to the NFL than most spread offenses because Sam took quite a few snaps from under center and ran play action. The spread offense didn't seem to hinder Flacco, Roethlisberger, or Vince Young from winning in the NFL (even in their rookie year's).

I also kept the Peyton Manning piece because the size, arm, very smart, hard worker qualities all apply to Bradford. He's 6'4" and about 220. His frame looks slim, but he's very muscular and most QBs put on weight after they come in the league. He has the arm to hit any route on the field. He doesn't have a Stafford, Cutler, or Jamarcus cannon, but neither does Peyton. Bradford also has lightning quick release and amazing accuracy when it comes to ball placement. He's very similar to Manning in the fact that people question them because they couldn't win the big one and wonder if they benefit from going to a top school. Well, only top prospects get to go the top schools and Bradford won more at Oklahoma than Peyton did at UT.

Give him a year on the bench learning from the Shanny boys and Bradford will be a franchise QB.

The only major injury I have seen for Suh came in his Redshirt year in 2005 .

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=157537

And he missed some of the Spring practice following sujury in 2008 - That seemed to be nothing more than a scope which kind of comes with the turf as a DL or OL . Thing is he has shown he can deliver post injury ... Bradford not so much

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4202830

The Worst I came up with for Okung is a sprained ankle back in October

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66894&draftyear=2010&genpos=OT

And as for Berry ( Really not saying DB is a good fit at no.4. but he has played some QB and WR)

He reportedly played all season with a bad shoulder . But nothing that could not be managed or unexpected .

So why are those injuries manageable, but not a joint sprain? He had the best surgeon who is our team doctor work on it and he will have a year to sit on the bench and continue to recover.

As I've said before, if you're scared to take a QB, then just say it.

I find this a bit funny. You mention Ryan and Flacco and their situations correlate very much with Bradford.

Like Ryan, Bradford is polished, has a comparable arm, and is apparently considered to be one of the smartest QB prospects to come out. He's also won more in his two years than Ryan did by the time he left as a senior. That's despite playing in the same conference and division as Colt McCoy who led a Texas team that was just coming off winning the national championship. Oh, and he was also the second sophomore in history to win the Heisman (even though Mark Ingram just made that stat less impressive).

As far as the injury goes, if Dr. James Andrews gives us the OK and he works out for us, then there shouldn't be a problem. Also, him not getting surgery the first time and coming back with an injured shoulder to play and compete for a national championship should tell us a lot about his toughness and desire to win.

As for the spread system, that's not one of the concerns you've listed for Flacco. He played in the spread against lesser competition after he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko at Pitt. Bradford ran the spread against the top competition in the nation. Oklahoma's version of the spread also translates better to the NFL than most spread offenses because Sam took quite a few snaps from under center and ran play action. The spread offense didn't seem to hinder Flacco, Roethlisberger, or Vince Young from winning in the NFL (even in their rookie year's).

I also kept the Peyton Manning piece because the size, arm, very smart, hard worker qualities all apply to Bradford. He's 6'4" and about 220. His frame looks slim, but he's very muscular and most QBs put on weight after they come in the league. He has the arm to hit any route on the field. He doesn't have a Stafford, Cutler, or Jamarcus cannon, but neither does Peyton. Bradford also has lightning quick release and amazing accuracy when it comes to ball placement. He's very similar to Manning in the fact that people question them because they couldn't win the big one and wonder if they benefit from going to a top school. Well, only top prospects get to go the top schools and Bradford won more at Oklahoma than Peyton did at UT.

Give him a year on the bench learning from the Shanny boys and Bradford will be a franchise QB.

Well , you won me over. Wher do I sign to be a Bradford backer?

I couldnt tell you how smart Bradford is, but I'm not a big fan of the spread offense. I dont think it makes you polished for the pro game. He'll need to work on his footwork alot at the pro level.

And they, for the most part, didnt have alot to do with their teams winning. It was their dominate Defenses that had the most to do with that. As for Fsacco, I didnt even know he playaed the spread at Del, which shows you how much I know. ;)

I seriously would not compare Bradford to Manning. I dont think he has the arm, the size the work ethic, intelligence nor polish Manning had coming out. but I'm also a UT homer and comparing ANYONE to Manning is a grevious crime. ;) And the SEC is tougher overall than the Big 12.

in all fairness to bugel, we didnt really give him much to work with did we? you cant make a nice steak dinner with canned spam.

rinehart is the only real disappointment for bugel, its a shame a 3rd round G struggled that much. i wonder if rinehart will do better in shannys new blocking scheme, but lets be honest, they didnt give bugel a lot to work with.

Agreed. Vinny and Coach Gibbs basically seemed to give Bugel chicken **** and turn it into delicious chicken salad. And considering all the lack of talent he was given, it's amazing our line just broke down these past couple of seasons.

Enjoy your retirement Buges! :)

I couldnt tell you how smart Bradford is, but I'm not a big fan of the spread offense. I dont think it makes you polished for the pro game. He'll need to work on his footwork alot at the pro level.

I don't know him personally, all I can go by is what the experts say. That's apparently one of the reasons he might have gone #1 last year. Even with an injury, his skill level and intelligence doesn't change and is still worthy of top overall pick consideration.

And they, for the most part, didnt have alot to do with their teams winning. It was their dominate Defenses that had the most to do with that. As for Fsacco, I didnt even know he playaed the spread at Del, which shows you how much I know. ;)

Yeah, I don't want him to see the field as a rookie. We aren't where the Steelers and Ravens were. But both of those guys have emerged as great QBs currently despite the spread offense in college. My point about that is that running a spread in college doesn't mean he can't learn to run an excellent pro offense. Especially since intelligence is supposed to be one of his greatest strengths.

I seriously would not compare Bradford to Manning. I dont think he has the arm, the size the work ethic, intelligence nor polish Manning had coming out. but I'm also a UT homer and comparing ANYONE to Manning is a grevious crime. ;) And the SEC is tougher overall than the Big 12.

Ok, I'll respect the homerism. But would you really be mad if we get a QB that can reasonably be mentioned in the same sentence as Manning?

I don't know him personally, all I can go by is what the experts say. That's apparently one of the reasons he might have gone #1 last year. Even with an injury, his skill level and intelligence doesn't change and is still worthy of top overall pick consideration.

I just dont see that skillset your talking about. Maybe it's the team. I remember Jason White putting up gaudy numbers and look where that got him. Same with all the Fla QB's that have done the same, and won, in the toughest conference in College Football.

Yeah, I don't want him to see the field as a rookie. We aren't where the Steelers and Ravens were. But both of those guys have emerged as great QBs currently despite the spread offense in college. My point about that is that running a spread in college doesn't mean he can't learn to run an excellent pro offense. Especially since intelligence is supposed to be one of his greatest strengths.

I dont consider Ben or Joe to be great. Infact I think at this point they are basically average. Ben has never impressed me. I think Joe will be a better QB.

Ok, I'll respect the homerism. But would you really be mad if we get a QB that can reasonably be mentioned in the same sentence as Manning?

Not at all, but I dont think Bradford is that guy.

So why are those injuries manageable, but not a joint sprain? He had the best surgeon who is our team doctor work on it and he will have a year to sit on the bench and continue to recover.

As I've said before, if you're scared to take a QB, then just say it.

It is not JUST a joint sprain but a 3rd degree Joint sprain, the most severe associated with the most damage and long term effects .

Knee injuries on a line man are par for the course and in the case of Suh, the one that cost him playing time occurred in 2005 . If you as a football player are not carrying the occasional bump or bruise simply means you are not playing hard enough ...

Bradford suffered his injury this October . That puts question marks over him .

It is not the case I am scarred to take a QB I am concerned taking a QB with recent injury history in his throwing arm number 4 overall . Bradford pre injury i have no problem with . Bradford + injury i have an issue .

To me he has to prove that he is healthy because without that he is not the top prospect you talk about . He is another collage QB with a questionable arm.

If you are going to groom the QB of the future then why not take a second tier QB or even I dunno wait until we have more the 5 picks in a draft to reach for a QB in what is a weak QB class in the first round . When teams are looking to groom a guy for the future they normally have someone in place already - Rodgers- Farve, Rivers- Brees, Brady - Bledsoe, Kolb- McNabb, Kitna-Palmer ...

First of all I'm not on BLC's side here. Check some other threads for the arguments I have with him.

Why would we willingly take a second-teir QB? If we think Bradford/Claussen/whoever else is the next great QB, you take them. If we think they are of the same talent as guys that will be available in round two or three you wait. That isn't the same as taking a second-teir QB, which would be knowingly taking a less-talented and less like to produce prospect. For the record Brees was not in place when Rivers was drafted. Yes he was the "starter" but Rivers was expected to beat him out in camp his rookie season but decided to hold out for #1 money. If Brees had been established Rivers never would have been drafted. He played like crap his first couple seasons and SD thought they had a bust. I would hardly put Brady in this category of "groomed for replacement" QB's either. If anyone, including NE thought Brady was who he is today he would not have lasted untill the sixth round. Palmer wasn't a "second tier" QB either, he was a #1 overall.

i really am astounded by the injury prone comments.

the guy starts every game in 2007, kills it.

the guy starts every game in 2008, kills it.

the guy injures his shoulder in game one in 2009, he opts for no surgery and they rush him back after a few games, plays one game, and gets piledrived re-aggravating the shoulder. then has the surgery to fix it.

how is that injury prone? one injury, that was never fixed because they wanted him back on the field. bad decision by his coaches and him, but he fixed it. and if hes not ready, we'll blatantly know, the redskins doctor is his surgeon.

Thank you for clearing this up. Rushing back from an injury that has not been healed and reaggravating it does not make one injury prone. Neither does a single concussion. I would assume a very large majority of current NFL players have had a concussion during their career whether it was reported or not. Before we rule players out due to previous injuries lets wait for the combine and workouts for our doctors to make these decisions. You know, the people that do this for a living and have been educated on the subject.

And I was wrong about the two surgeries but if it was your money would you spend $50,000,000 and possibly a franchise OLT or Ed Reed like safety or a cannot miss DT for this guy ?

Yes possibly a franchsie OLT. Or Maybe Robert Gallery? Possibly Ed Reed, or maybe Michael Huff (actually not as bad this season). Possibly Warren Sapp or maybe Ryan Simms? Point is there is no such thing as a "cannot miss" prospect. Glenn Dorsey was suppose to be the best DT prospect this decade he he's done nothing. Not to say the jury is out on him but it's not looking great given his draft position. There is a risk with every position and every player. Choosing to pick a top prospect and deciding they're a lock to be the next best thing is foolish.

You keep ignoring the fact that he has injured the same shoulder (his throwing shoulder) twice - and yes one was a re-agrivation of the same injury but that in a way is worse because he is injuring an already stressed body part .

It is also troubling that Bradford was diagnosed with the most severe degree of AC sprain . In a way it is often better to break a bone than suffer a sprain like this . Bones heal, ligaments don't . This type of sprain may heal, but will most likely be a problem again later in life and the joint will be significiantly weakened

Bradford's shoulder is a concern but in no way should be a dealbreaker. Brees and Pennington have both have shoulder surgeries and recovered. Brett Favre has been playing with torn muscles in his throwing arm. Again, let's let the doctors take a look at these guys before we rush to judgement. Some guys heal up great and others don't. We'll have to take a wait and see approach on this one.

It is not JUST a joint sprain but a 3rd degree Joint sprain, the most severe associated with the most damage and long term effects .

Knee injuries on a line man are par for the course and in the case of Suh, the one that cost him playing time occurred in 2005 . If you as a football player are not carrying the occasional bump or bruise simply means you are not playing hard enough ...

Bradford suffered his injury this October . That puts question marks over him .

It is not the case I am scarred to take a QB I am concerned taking a QB with recent injury history in his throwing arm number 4 overall . Bradford pre injury i have no problem with . Bradford + injury i have an issue .

To me he has to prove that he is healthy because without that he is not the top prospect you talk about . He is another collage QB with a questionable arm.

It doesn't even matter if he will be healthy day 1 as long as he will be healthy at some point. We don't have the supporting cast for a rookie QB to start so whether fans like it or not we're probably going to be seeing a lot more of Jason Campbell or another veteran to start off next season. If we do take a QB at any point in the draft I would much rather see him parked on the bench a la Carson Palmer than thrown to the wolves like so many other bust to bes.

First of all I'm not on BLC's side here. Check some other threads for the arguments I have with him.

Why would we willingly take a second-teir QB? If we think Bradford/Claussen/whoever else is the next great QB, you take them. If we think they are of the same talent as guys that will be available in round two or three you wait. That isn't the same as taking a second-teir QB, which would be knowingly taking a less-talented and less like to produce prospect. For the record Brees was not in place when Rivers was drafted. Yes he was the "starter" but Rivers was expected to beat him out in camp his rookie season but decided to hold out for #1 money. If Brees had been established Rivers never would have been drafted. He played like crap his first couple seasons and SD thought they had a bust. I would hardly put Brady in this category of "groomed for replacement" QB's either. If anyone, including NE thought Brady was who he is today he would not have lasted untill the sixth round. Palmer wasn't a "second tier" QB either, he was a #1 overall.

Personally I don't think Bradford or Clausen are the next big things . It is supprisingly rare rookie QBs come out and rock the league . Then I am no scout so I may be wrong . You are right though there is no need to take a second tier QB .

No but Brady was selected as many teams do to be as a flyer . Hey he may develop into something or he may develop into nothing . Either way it is a throw away pick and either way he was not selected to start from day 1 but if he panned out that was always a possibility .

Brees was still under contract and yes Rivers was supposed to beat him out but that never happened .

Palmer was a special case and I remember the stories about "Why would you select someone No.1. and not play them for a year . As it worked out the bengels did something right but it was never the plan to start Palmer from day 1 .

Thank you for clearing this up. Rushing back from an injury that has not been healed and reaggravating it does not make one injury prone. Neither does a single concussion. I would assume a very large majority of current NFL players have had a concussion during their career whether it was reported or not. Before we rule players out due to previous injuries lets wait for the combine and workouts for our doctors to make these decisions. You know, the people that do this for a living and have been educated on the subject.

So what I can no longer discuss it or bring it up as a problem . Look this is not an injury he picked up 2-3-4 years ago and has shown he can play with it . This is a ripping and tearing and stretching of the ligaments in his throwing shoulder, this is an injury he has not shown anything since .

Yes possibly a franchsie OLT. Or Maybe Robert Gallery? Possibly Ed Reed, or maybe Michael Huff (actually not as bad this season). Possibly Warren Sapp or maybe Ryan Simms? Point is there is no such thing as a "cannot miss" prospect. Glenn Dorsey was suppose to be the best DT prospect this decade he he's done nothing. Not to say the jury is out on him but it's not looking great given his draft position. There is a risk with every position and every player. Choosing to pick a top prospect and deciding they're a lock to be the next best thing is foolish.

ALL players may bust out, there is not a cannot miss prospect, nor has there ever been . But you are increasing the chances of picking a bust if you select someone with such a recent injury .

Bradford's shoulder is a concern but in no way should be a dealbreaker. Brees and Pennington have both have shoulder surgeries and recovered. Brett Favre has been playing with torn muscles in his throwing arm. Again, let's let the doctors take a look at these guys before we rush to judgement. Some guys heal up great and others don't. We'll have to take a wait and see approach on this one.

Some players adapt differently . Thing is while Brees has recovered and awful lot of GMs steered clear of him because of his injury in 2006 . It was a rather modest 6 year $60 million contract given what he was doing in SD for the previous two years . Had he stayed healthy him or Rivers would have recouped at least a 1st (Maybe 2nd for Rivers) in a trade so his injury cost him $$$ and the team .

Pennington NEVER recovered from his surgury at least not in the minds of his coaches . He has played 2 full seasons in his 8 year career . Not great for a former 1st round pick .

Bradfords injury should not be a deal breaker but it will be . I can see him tumbling if he cannot throw and throw a lot (not just well) at work outs and the Combine .

Time may prove you right but history is you don't pick a QB with arm problems no.4. Overall .

You say we should let the doctors make the decision on Bradford, and they will but also the scouts GM and HC have to make the right move for the team .

Well , you won me over. Wher do I sign to be a Bradford backer?

Agreed!

Very plausible explanation to drafting a qb at #4. I have been against this up until now. With the season now over, I have plenty of time to reflect, and I am sure Shanny/Allen/Snyder dont want to have a top 5 pick for the next 5 years. Take the shot here, I think this guy will work out.

Well they both have one thing in common and that is they both were past head coaches with the Oakland Raiders. We are going to have to get some better lineman and chances are that we will get one through free agency and the best one in the draft at Number 4. Then again with Dan Snyder it is hard to tell what is going to happen. I would like to see CP around and play with his old coaches. Remember had two back to back 1,500 yards seasons with them. If he could stay healthy and the line holds up and gives him excellent blocking, it is endless what the team can do next year. Shanny is by far Snyders best pick for head coach.

Bad news? How so? Because he is a top rated QB in a draft devoid of alot of talent there? He still doesnt look good to me. He's smallish and doesnt seem to have a great arm. I liked his older brother Casey better actually. I hope they DO take him and then need to draft a QB in a couple years in the first round because he's the next Brady Quinn.....

Bad news because it said that Washington is interested. At number 4.

There's a reason he's highly touted. In fact, there are a lot of reasons. They have nothing to do with the talent level of any of the other crop of QB's. He's not good by comparison. He's just good.

On a side note, I think Quinn is better than he would appear right now, but that's a discussion best left to another thread.

Instead of starting another OL thread, let me throw this in here. Buges is right that Shanny will rebuild the OL. What most don't understand is that the OL for Shanahan's teams are much more important than the guy that he has under center...

While watching the clip of Billick breaking down the Broncos (now Redskins) ZBS and offense

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80aec9cf/Billick-on-Denver-s-zone-blocking-scheme

at 1:57 he states 3 very important things that caught my attention:

This is the heart of the teams scheme

Running Backs are disciplined.

Shanahan has the will to stick with the running game / staple of offense.

So I went back through the 14 years of Shanahan calling plays for the Broncos and saw some interesting patterns:

All stats courtesy of http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Broncos

year pass rush difference

95 594 440* 154

96 536 525* 11

97 513 520 -7

98 491 525 -34

99 554 465* 89

00 569 516* 53

01 511 481* 30

02 554 457* 97

03 479 543 -64

04 521 534 13

05 465 542 -77

06 454 488 -34

07 515 429* 86

08 620 387* -233

Total 7376 6852 524

Average 526.85 pass 489.42 rushes 37.43 difference

Prior to the 2007 season, when Cutler took over as the full time QB, Shanahan had a more balanced attack and ran the ball with more consistency. Prior to Cutler's arrival, in 12 years the Broncos passed the ball 6241 times (50.83%) and ran 6036 times (49.17%).

After Cutler took over as QB, Shanahan's offensive direction changed. In his 2 years at Denver, Cutler threw the ball 1135 times (58.17%). The team in the process ran the ball only 816 times during that span (41.83%).

Moving away from his very balanced offense to a pass heavy version, along with the inability to correct the glaring holes in his defense is what ended up becoming the last straw for his coaching career in Denver.

If history, as it often does, repeats itself the Redskins offense will be a balanced one that will depend on an athletic OL as its backbone along with a solid and disciplined rushing attack.

Archived