Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Albert Haynesworth tradeable?

TheGoodBits

Haynesworth needs to stop crying and just play football. With his size and brute strength, he can flourish in a 4-3 scheme, a 3-4 scheme, or a 46 scheme. The defensive coordinator would more than likely find a way to make plays. As a NFL player, he needs to understand that he's not in Tennessee anymore. That said, he should talk with Haslett about how he would like to be used. Haslett I'm sure, knows of Haynesworth's strengths as a defensive tackle.

It's a good thing this is an uncapped year then. But as much as people praise Danny for spending money, I don't think he's THIS willing to spend money.

Yep, basically is a 1st and whatever else round pick you would get for AH be worth UP TO 23 million cash for Snyder and the Skins. I would say yeah it would be.

For others AH contract is very doable once the bonus money is removed.

Just want to add that I don't think there is anyway we convert to a 3-4.

Just want to add that I don't think there is anyway we convert to a 3-4.

I agree completely. Haslett's not an idiot, and he's gotta know that we have some great players that might not necassarilly play to the strengths of a 3-4. It's like Shanny said, you tailor the scheme to the players, not the other way around.

This. If Ngata can be a successful 3-4 DE, there's no reason Haynesworth can't.

Uh, what? Haynesworth will NOT play effectively standing up or dropping back into coverage. Ngata and Big Al are two completely different types of players.

Haynesworth would be a complete waste in the 3-4.

Another player with possible trade implications from a move to 3-4 is Andre Carter. He is too small to play DE in that scheme and he failed at LB in San Fran. I believe he has a no trade clause in his contract though. If we could get around that (if he agrees) he could still fetch a decent draft pick, coming off an 11 sack season.

Yeah SF foolishly switched to a 3-4 when they had a decent 4-3 defense in which Carter shined.

Overhauling the current defense will set us back alot instead of just tweaking it with an infusion of youth and hands in the secondary.

Ngata's accepts his role, because he's never been a pass rusher. I don't think anyone is saying Haynesworth can't play 3-4 DE or NT, but considering he ******* and moaned about Blache's system, it's likely he won't accept his role now

I like the guy alot but if he doesnt want to play in the system (not sure if it is true) then he should be traded we need players who want to win and dont care about their stats

is it possible for him to give back money by reworking his contract and then be traded ?k ind of like what lavar did but instead of releasing him we trade him

if we got a true NT, using AH as a DE in the 3-4 could be quite disruptive... if he draws doubleteams now and we get an NT that also occupies two guys, would be tough to scheme against our pass rushers with two guys eating up 4...

... it will be great because at any moment we can switch back and forth from 3-4 and 4-3... a hybrid system that we are most likely to run...

this ... don't the Eagles still run a 4-3 base defense? if that is indeed the case, they sure do a great job at blitzing and stunting.

I'm not a coach, but from this fan's view it sure is hard to tell exactly what their base defense is.

Haynesworth needs to STFU and get in line ... we didn't bring him in here to do what he wants to do. he got his money ... now go play ball and do what the coaches tell you to do.

if all he was concerned about was his individual success in a particular scheme, then he should have stayed in Tenn where he had already proven himself. He took the money, now he needs to get in shape and earn those paychecks.

Except that he doesnt want to be one. And we still dont have a NT, which is the key for th 3-4

He's one of the most tradeable players in the league. Danny would have to pay his signing bonus (and I believe other guaranteed bonuses, but not sure) so the other team would get a great player at a cheap price.

And since it's an uncapped year, the cap hit that would usually occur by trading him wouldn't matter. But I don't think Danny is willing to spend $20 mil or whatever it is just to have Haynesworth for a year plus the first round pick we'd get for him.

Not really, He has one of the highest guaranteed saleries ever. He would be about the hardest guy to trade. Cap or no Cap.

Haynesworth will not be a NT. The job of the NT is to be a space-eater and occupy blockers. Haynesworth was signed with the understanding that that would NOT be his role. He won't do it and there's nothing the Skins can do to force him to play that way. The question is whether he can play DE in a manner that still works with the 3:4 system that Haslett may employ. Haynesworth wants to be a disruptor not a DLman that occupies blockers so that the LBs can make the plays. If he's not going to be a disruptor in the new system that the Skins would be better off trading him.

Danny is going to have to pay $20million to Haynesworth in March. Haynesworth could be traded after June 1st so that there's no cap hit but the draft will have already passed. It's possible that some team would be willing to pay some amount + a player + draft pick(s) in 2011 for Haynesworth. How about $10million cash + an OLman now + a first round pick in 2011????? Other team gets Haynesworth for 10million guaranteed plus 2 years of the cheap part of the contract.

If 2010 is uncapped... we'd take a hit and lose money... even though it might be uncapped, I don't think Snyder is THAT liberal with his money

That's really a question of mindset. The 32 mil is something we have/will pay him and there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it. The question (when considered properly) comes down to:

A) Pay him that 32 mil, plus the 9 mil he's guaranteed for the next two years, and possibly 7.2 mil more for 2012; or

B) Pay him the 32 mil, trade him and let someone else pay the salary for the next two years and get whatever you can for him.

If you determine that trading him is the best for the team, then keeping him just because you've already paid him is shoddy (if understandable) logic. It's all sunk cost. Of course, it depends on what kind of trade value he could fetch and where you see the team going with or without him, as well as whether you're thinking longer-term or shorter-term.

Archived