Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reality: We still need 2 starting OT's

dwills1

I think we'd be okay with Levi Jones/Stephon Heyer at RT for one more year if we can fix the LT side. If we could do that and maybe have a Guard who can compete against Thomas/BMW/Rhino I think that would be an okay line for one year, then we can get a stud RT next year.
Levi Jones is just a decent backup, and Heyer is awful. He should barely be in the league.

Sylogistically speaking, "All mothers are women. Not all women are mothers. Therefore, if you are a mother, you are a woman."

"Most franchise QB's are first rounders. All first round QB's are not franchise QB's. Therefore, some first round QB's are franchise QB's and some first round QB's are not franchise QB's."

It's just harder to figure out than the mother thing.

Levi Jones is just a decent backup, and Heyer is awful. He should barely be in the league.

See I disagree there, neither guy would be confused with the top talent in the league at their position, but a guy doesn't hav eto be world beater to be servicable in some capacity for the team.

See I disagree there, neither guy would be confused with the top talent in the league at their position, but a guy doesn't hav eto be world beater to be servicable in some capacity for the team.

Jones at one time was a borderline elite player but he's had multiple injuries and could be a starter but should be a backup or depth.

Heyer is just aweful. Regularly gets beaten by elite talent and needs help against good pass rushers, and is better at pass protection than run blocking.

Neither is even a short term solution at ROT or LOT.

I'm more concerned with Right Guard then I am with Tackle assuming Levi could switch.

Obviously, Left Tackle is the line priority.

We also need a Center if Ed Williams can't overtake Rabach. Cause a lot of our problems are his and the coaches fault.

Levi Jones is a UFA and so is Rabach. Neither are currently on the roster.

This is the current depth chart

LT Chris Samuels (?) *

LG Derrick Dockery, Paul Fanaika

OC Will Montgomery, Edwin Williams

RG Randy Thomas*, Edwin Williams

RT Stephon Heyer, William Robinson

*coming off IR

Fax post = funny. But this does bring up something I've been thinking about.

If a trade can be made on draft day - let's say it's the trade that some have hoped for where Suh falls to us at #4 and San Fran is willing to trade both their #1's to us - then the Redskins could get 2 very good OT's. Maybe not Okung or Bryan Bulaga, but Bruce Campbell and Anthony Davis could both be available with those mid-round picks.

Eh, who am I kidding. Suh is not falling to #4 unless he gets caught selling cocaine to orphans.

Soooo....let's say the Skins still trade out of the #4 spot and get a nice little bevy of picks as a result, I would definitely try and replace both OT's in this draft. If not, and Okung is there at 4, draft him and start him at LT on day one, then get what you can out of Levi at RT.

The losses of Jon Jansen, Chris Samuels, and Randy Thomas hurt the Redskin offense this past season. I don't expect center Casey Rabach to be re-signed. So, that's four spots that need to be revamped, retooled, and reworked. It appears that Derrick Dockery is going to stay put. As far as Stephen Heyer, I don't think he's starting NFL material. He's a back up at best. Heyer may be a starter in 2010 only because Bruce Allen won't be able to fill out the entire offensive line in one draft. But if trades the first and the second round picks for additional picks, then he should be able to effectively address the needs pertaining to the offensive line.

You don't need five big name, high priced linemen to have a good offensive line. You just need five solid guys who mesh well together to form one good unit.

Look at the Jets. Two of their starters were first round picks in D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, but they also signed Alan Faneca and Damien Woody in FA.

The point is that if you look at franchise QBs in the league, most of them are 1st round picks. Of course there are exceptions, but most are 1st round. If you look at high quality OL, the majority of them aren't 1st round picks.

I would argue that about 50% of the league's franchise quarterbacks were NOT drafted in the 1st round.

Tom Brady (6th round)

Matt Schaub (3rd round)

Tony Romo sits to pee (undrafted)

Drew Brees (2nd round)

Kurt Warner (undrafted)

Brett Favre (2nd round)

You don't need five big name, high priced linemen to have a good offensive line. You just need five solid guys who mesh well together to form one good unit.

Look at the Jets. Two of their starters were first round picks in D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, but they also signed Alan Faneca and Damien Woody in FA.

You're saying we don't need high priced guys on the o-line, just five "solid" guys who mesh well together in a unit.

Then you point to the Jets, who spent 2 first round picks on highly touted linemen, and grabbed 6 time All-Pro Faneca along with former Pro Bowler in Woody in free agency?

You're saying we don't need high priced guys on the o-line, just five "solid" guys who mesh well together in a unit.

Then you point to the Jets, who spent 2 first round picks on highly touted linemen, and grabbed 6 time All-Pro Faneca along with former Pro Bowler in Woody in free agency?

Well I meant it in regards to the people who say "draft nothing but OL." You can draft some, and sign some. The point is you need guys who mesh well together.

Probably should have used the Giants or Cowboys OLs as examples though.

I don't agree with this assessment. There is no elite talent at tackle in this draft. Rather, it has a lot of depth.

While I would love for us to draft Charles Brown in Rd. 1, I think we can manage if push comes to shove. If we are implementing a 3-4 and have a lot of needs, what I would do is resign Levi on a short-term deal to start LT for the next season or two, take an NFL-ready rookie to play RT such as Kyle Calloway from Iowa or Chris Marinelli from Stanford, and then take a project LT in Day 2 of the draft like Ed Wang or Tony Washington.

Well I meant it in regards to the people who say "draft nothing but OL." You can draft some, and sign some. The point is you need guys who mesh well together.

Probably should have used the Giants or Cowboys OLs as examples though.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that.

Just funny that you were going for that theme of building an o-line but used the Jets as your example. Cowboys would be a pretty good example though, you're right about that (although I also think Romo sits to pee does things to make that line look a lot better than it is).

Problem is, with the whole CBA mess this season, those FA linemen are going to be a lot harder to come by.

Jones at one time was a borderline elite player but he's had multiple injuries and could be a starter but should be a backup or depth.

Heyer is just aweful. Regularly gets beaten by elite talent and needs help against good pass rushers, and is better at pass protection than run blocking.

Neither is even a short term solution at ROT or LOT.

Look I'm not saying that Jones and Heyer are pro bowl caliber players. I'm not even saying that they are in the top 15 at their positions in the league. What I am saying is that either one could fill a slot for a year at Tackle if we can't find two good ones in the draft, and we may have to live with someone out there if we aren't able to acquire someone better.

Its one thing to want to get better at those two sides of the line. It is wholly another to actually make the right moves to get there, which as you keep reminding us, will be more difficult with the no-cap year.

LIke it or not we are going to be stuck with a lot more OL personnel this year than many of us may be comfortable with. the Transition to better talent will take time, maybe 3 or more years. That's an unfortunate reality that I have come to realize, and because of that I am in no hurry to see this team suddenly return to the playoffs. I want them to build solidly through good moves in the draft and free agency, and do so for the long haul, no ta quick sprint to prominence like we did under Gibbs.

Levi Jones is a UFA and so is Rabach. Neither are currently on the roster.

This is the current depth chart

LT Chris Samuels (?) *

LG Derrick Dockery, Paul Fanaika

OC Will Montgomery, Edwin Williams

RG Randy Thomas*, Edwin Williams

RT Stephon Heyer, William Robinson

*coming off IR

And Samuels can't be counted on anymore. Even if his spine is okay, he's been wearing down over the past few seasons.

Dockery isn't even a good fit for the ZBS.

We didn't get Gibbs or Dennison. Sigh. I'm one to hope that Bugel had the game pass him by and he wasn't able to get the most out of his group. I'm also one to hope that Shanny's success in the running game wasn't due to his line coaches. Cause if so, neither are gonna be here to help.

I mean we essentially need an entirely new offensive line and use existing as backups. It's pretty depressing.

I'm pretty sure we'll retain Levi Jones, and he played well enough last year IMO, to be a starter at RT.

The LT position needs to be addressed though and possibly RG. And on top of that we need to get some solid depth in the later rounds and through FA/trades.

*Edit: None of this means that drafting a QB with our 1st is impossible...but as long as we address either the line or QB with the #4 I'll be happy.

Archived