Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sony to reboot Spider-Man without Raimi and new cast

SkinzFoLife

Spider-Man 3 wasn't Raimi's fault. Let's just clear that up now.

Yes it was.

And I say that as a huge fan of Raimi.

Sam got what he wanted in Spidey 3.

It's why there were so many battles this time around.

At the end of the day... well, let's just say Sam's heart isn't exactly broken right now and that one shouldn't believe everything they read on the net, especially when it comes to movies.

Yeah, I forgot about that. They'll go back to Marvel, under the Disney umbrella.

Did they ever say how it's going to work out with Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure and all their Marvel attractions?

From what I read, Universal Studios has a contract giving them exclusive rights to Marvel characters in any theme park east of the Mississippi. For a really long time.

But they have to pay royalties. To Disney, now.

Yeah, I forgot about that. They'll go back to Marvel, under the Disney umbrella.

Did they ever say how it's going to work out with Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure and all their Marvel attractions?

well the marvel comics characters make up a big portion of islands of adventure. i would imagine that disney will have universal pay some sort of royalty or something like that to keep the attractions in their park. although i could see disney taking the character property back and opening up their own version of islands of adventure.

edit: i did not realize that universal had a contract giving them rights to the characters. it will be interesting to see what disney does with it. will they sit back and collect the checks or think that they can get more money by using it in their own park and pay off universal to terminate the contract.

Spider-Man 3 wasn't Raimi's fault. Let's just clear that up now.

Raimi wanted it to focus around the Sandman and the Vulture, but Sony execs decided that the Vulture wasn't marketable enough, so at the last minute, they forced Raimi to add in Venom, because he's a newer character that could sell more merchandise.

Raimi didn't have time to do much except add Venom in the last half of the story and basically didn't put his heart into it because it wasn't his project anymore.

Sony executives sitting in a board room in Hollywood thinking about action figure sales ruined Spider-Man 3.

Now Raimi wanted to come back and do the Vulture again, but Sony was pushing to add "the Vulturess" as a female interest for Spider-Man.

I think last I heard, Sony's rights to Spider-Man end and go back to Marvel exclusively in a couple years, so I think Sony's just trying to throw together a movie as soon as possible to get their last coin out of it.

It doesn't matter who forced what on whom. It's ultimately the responsibility of the director to deliver a quality product. If Venom was forced on him then he should have done the character service. Instead he made Venom a caricature. He came across like the part was written by a 13 year old. He definitely was not the same Venom that haunted Spidey in the comics. He was dumbed down and having Foreman play him was a joke. Brock is a huge dude who is an olympic class weightlifter. Not some scrawny lil punk.

Lets not even talk about how Doc Ock was able to absorb Spidey's punches in SM2. The good doctor does not have superhuman strength nor can he absorb a Spidey punch. Once Spidey gets a shot to the grill in, Doc should be out. There's no slugging back and forth.

I'd say it's high time to let somebody else give it a shot.

Raimi was the only hope for the next movie to not suck. Now I imagine it will be awful.

I thought Toby was a good fit, but after 3 and his odd manerisms he made me uncomfortable watching him.

I would be surprised if this next film was a hit. Just from what I've read and them dropping everyone, it has disaster written all over it. We all know that a studio can't leave a good comic story alone, they have to ****ize it in order to make it inot what they think would work. Case in point SM3.

It doesn't matter who forced what on whom. It's ultimately the responsibility of the director to deliver a quality product.

Let's not even talk about Wolverine. About the only thing resembling the comic character was his claws and his name. The so butchered that storyline it's not even funny.

They can never leave a comic story alone to it's own merits. As you said they have to dumb it down which in their opinion will make for a wider audience. Trust me, you make a good storyline true to the comic character and it will entertain without needing to change it so much that it's as you said a shell of what it should be.

i could see them rebooting it to go along with the avengers storyline that all the marvel comics are taking. in the "ultimate" storyline peter parker is targeted by nick fury to be one of the avengers when he turns 18, although he ends up fighting with them beforehand.

i could see them rebooting it to go along with the avengers storyline that all the marvel comics are taking. in the "ultimate" storyline peter parker is targeted by nick fury to be one of the avengers when he turns 18, although he ends up fighting with them beforehand.

That's actually a good idea, however, I don't think SONY is smart enough to do that.

Raimi was the only hope for the next movie to not suck. Now I imagine it will be awful.

I thought Toby was a good fit, but after 3 and his odd manerisms he made me uncomfortable watching him.

I would be surprised if this next film was a hit. Just from what I've read and them dropping everyone, it has disaster written all over it. We all know that a studio can't leave a good comic story alone, they have to ****ize it in order to make it inot what they think would work. Case in point SM3.

Agreed. I was telling a friend of mine that it's going to be a disaster. But he thinks that Spiderman 3 sucks and it's all Rami's fault. He also hates Toby. So he's very happy about this. He thinks that Spiderman 1 or whatever they call the reboot movie will be great. I'm hoping that when Marvel get the rights back they will make a good movie. And hopefully they will bring back Rami and Toby.

I've never liked the Raimi films. He did a lot of the same stuff that Joel Schumacher did with the Batman franchise, but got away with it because he was the first to set the tone of the new films. I used to love Spiderman if only because it was more grounded in reality than a lot of other superhero films... The main character had school, work, family, a gf, and a number of other responsibilities. None of these subjects was approached with any sort of seriousness.

Then, to boot, Raimi took my favorite villain in Venom, and made him ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he did it because he never wanted to include Venom. He's on record as saying that Venom is a worthless character. Just read this BS from Raimi:

"I had never read Venom in the comic books, since they came after my time. Because of that, I didn't have a natural inclination toward him. And when I read those comics, at [producer] Avi Arad's urging, I didn't understand where Venom's humanity was. I know that kids think he looks cool, and they think he's a good villain for Spider-Man. I actually didn't. What was it about Peter's own makeup that this villain represented some weaker or darker side to? Just looking like a dark version of him is not enough for me. The more I read [Venom stories], the less interested I became. But then Avi said, ''Look, you've got to be less selfish. You've got to learn what it is these kids love about Venom.'' So I tried to open my mind up. Then Alvin developed a character that I did understand, and did appreciate."

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20035285_20035331_20037557,00.html

Venom's humanity? He's basically a jealous man bound by an alien. Had the Sony execs not forced Venom on Raimi, chances are high that he would have never included him in any of the Spiderman iterations.

Then' date=' to boot, Raimi took my favorite villain in Venom, and made him ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he did it because he never wanted to include Venom. He's on record as saying that Venom is a worthless character. Just read this BS from Raimi:[/quote']

Venom has always been a polarizing villain, usually dependent on when you became a fan of Spider-Man. Personally, I never had any affection for Venom and I would have been just fine if he never was in any of the Spider-Man films. Spider-Man's rouge's gallery is large enough that it didn't need to be done. (Kraven would have been a good villian and would have kept in the theme of the first two films.)

Then again, film companies tend to focus on the most "popular" characters at the expense of others. (See Wolverine)

Personally, I've been mostly happy with Raimi's first two films. The first was great with few flaws. The second saw more Raimi-isms, which was good to see, but some annoying aspects. (Seeing Parker getting beat up both physically and emotionally was getting old after a while.) I still think Maguire was perfect casting. Dunst was less perfect, but she grew on me after a while. (The irony of the fact that they cast a blonde to play the redheaded Mary Jane and a redhead to play the blonde Gwen Stacy isn't lost on me.)

I have not seen 3 yet (one of the issues with having a young kid), but it sounds like it has some of the same issues that X3 had: Too much plot for a 2 hour movie. It shouldn't be a shocker that both films had heavy studio influence, especially as above Avi Avid forced Raimi to shoehorn Venom into this story. Also including Gwen Stacy, Sandman AND Harry Osborne into the film just seemed to be too much. Hell, they thought about dividing it up into two films at one point, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

I wonder now that everyone is jettisoned, if the Jake Gyllenhaal rumors will reappear again.

It doesn't matter who forced what on whom. It's ultimately the responsibility of the director to deliver a quality product. If Venom was forced on him then he should have done the character service. Instead he made Venom a caricature. He came across like the part was written by a 13 year old. He definitely was not the same Venom that haunted Spidey in the comics. He was dumbed down and having Foreman play him was a joke. Brock is a huge dude who is an olympic class weightlifter. Not some scrawny lil punk.

Lets not even talk about how Doc Ock was able to absorb Spidey's punches in SM2. The good doctor does not have superhuman strength nor can he absorb a Spidey punch. Once Spidey gets a shot to the grill in, Doc should be out. There's no slugging back and forth.

I'd say it's high time to let somebody else give it a shot.

Wow, you obviously don't know how movies are made. The Studios have ultimate power. Some directors are producers as well and have more power but ultimately its up the Suits. If you did any research on Spider-man 3 you would know that Sony wanted Venom in there so they could spin off onto his own series.

This is the same thing that killed the X-men. Bryan Singer left to do Superman and instead of delaying the movie, FOX forced them to stick to the same schedule and rushed it out with a director that they chose, who would not question them. So no, its not always the directors fault.

I wonder now that everyone is jettisoned, if the Jake Gyllenhaal rumors will reappear again.

he is too old now. they are looking to send spidey back to high school. i wouldnt be surprised to see them cast a teeny bopper in the role to get teenagers interested in the movie.

man it sucks getting old. nobody cares what we like anymore :hysterical:

and i was a huge venom fan and would love to have seen a darker version of him like when he first showed up in the comic. he actually didnt even come right after spider man. he stalked mary jane first and scared the **** out of her while spider man was still wearing a replica of the alien costume. yeah i know nerd alert :D

Agreed. I was telling a friend of mine that it's going to be a disaster. But he thinks that Spiderman 3 sucks and it's all Rami's fault. He also hates Toby. So he's very happy about this. He thinks that Spiderman 1 or whatever they call the reboot movie will be great. I'm hoping that when Marvel get the rights back they will make a good movie. And hopefully they will bring back Rami and Toby.

Personally they should let this go for now and wait for awhile. IMO marvel has shown that they can make a movie that is true to the material and still bring in the money. Something the stuidos have yet to do except maybe with the updated DK movies.

I loved the spidey movies, except for 3. other than seeing vemon come to life on screen, the movie pretty much sucked. IMO the first two were alot like the 60's cartoon in style and plot. I was hoping for more. Good none the less.

the problem with comicbook movies is that those in that community want the movie to be true to the material. Movie studios want mass appeal. Those two most times are like oil and water.

Again marvel seems to have shown they can do it. Personally I've never understood why the studios WOULDN'T want to leave the project up to the source rather than stick their hands in it and mess it up?

http://nerdiest-kids.com/spider-man-4-director-announced/

With the recent announcement that Sam Raimi would no longer be helming the Spider-man film franchise, fandom has been wondering what would happen to the dominant Marvel/Sony film franchise. Today we have our answer as Marc Webb (director of 500 Days of Summer) takes the reins of this blockbuster franchise for a 3 picture deal. Reportedly a big fan of the the original Raimi films, Webb told MTV News that…”Stan Lee, big fan … love the ‘Ultimate [spider-Man]‘ stuff.”

wow, that sucks. Raimi didn't like the studios hands in Spidey 3 and finally the studio said Bye when Raimi wasn't on board for what they had in mind for Spider-Man 4 so they dropped him and the cast. It could be good like Batman Begins or **** like Superman Returns. Too bad Marvel can't get the rights back and do it themselves like how they semi rebooted The Hulk.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8976

The problem is Batman had already jumped the shark when they started to remake it. The three Spiderman movies have all been pretty good. They really captured the sense of the early comics, the magic of what was spiderman.. in my opinion.

Archived