Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Reid apologizes for 'Negro dialect' comment

Redskins Diehard

George Allen's political career was absolutely ruined by a similar situation, but Harry Reid, a Democrat, gets away.

For Allen, macaca was the straw that broke the camel's back. Allen had a long history of alleged racism-from decorating his office with neusses, to his adoration of the confederate flag, to incidents in his youth where he spray painted a school with racist words against white people in order to frame the "other side" and stoke a confrontation. And the rumors are way worse than that.

Not defending Reid though. Obviousy a very stupid thing to say.

Hypocrisy.

http://weeklystandard.com/tws/daily/daily.asp#blog-307820

It seems to be that we can forgive a 100-year-old senator for some of the indiscretion of his youth, but, what is more difficult to forgive is the current president of the U.S. Senate (Lott) suggesting we had been better off if we had followed a segregationist path in this country after all of the battles and fights for civil rights and all the work that we still have to do," said Obama.

"The Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott. If they have to stand for something, they have to stand up and say this is not the person we want representing our party.

Hypocrisy.

Valid point. Not identical situations, (And I'm certain that a discussion of "Which comment was worse?" would instantly divide along completely predictable lines. :) ), but there's certainly enough in common to use as an example.

Let's pretend that the situations are identical.

Question to the folks making arguments similar to this one:

A Republican would already be packing his desk, Reid isn't getting a slap on the wrist... Until November that is.

Did Trent Lott pack his desk, days after making his comment? And were you calling for it?

If this were a Republican, he would look like the devil and be forced out of office. Since he is a Democrat, he can say whatever he wants without getting in any serious trouble.

Probably...

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/10/top-democrat-defends-reid/?feat=home_headlines

Top Democrat defends Reid for remarks

The top official of the Democratic Party on Sunday defended Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, for his private remarks during the 2008 campaign describing then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light-skinned" and "with no Negro dialect."

"I think if you look at the reports, as I have, it was all in the context of saying positive things about Senator Obama," Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine said. "It definitely was in the context of recognizing in Senator Obama a great candidate and future president."

His counterpart, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele, mocked the DNC chairman's defense as he called on Mr. Reid to resign.

"If [senate Republican leader] Mitch McConnell had said those very words, then this chairman and this president would be calling for his head, and they would be labeling every Republican in the country a racist for saying exactly what this chairman's just said," Mr. Steele said.

"There is this standard where Democrats feel that they can say these things and they can apologize when it comes from the mouths of their own, but when it comes from anyone else, it's racism," Mr. Steele said.

Steele, for all his faults, is more right than wrong on this one....

Actually, regarding the "it was a compliment" defense:

I can't remember: The guy who said "He's clean, he's articulate, . . . ":

Which Party was he?

And did the same Democrats rush to announce "it was a compliment" in that case?

(Also, observing that, if the Party label were different, then both parties would be spouting the arguments that the other party is making, right now.)

Actually, regarding the "it was a compliment" defense:

I can't remember: The guy who said "He's clean, he's articulate, . . . ":

Which Party was he?

And did the same Democrats rush to announce "it was a compliment" in that case?

That was Joe Biden...

Can't remember how they excused it though

well as stated before: because when your running as a candidate its way worse and they ... ohhh wait.. he was running...

okay back to the default position of: Dems can say whatever the hell they want.

The leadership backs them until the next person gets in trouble and everyone shifts to that.

Rangel is happy again, he's got another year in committee on his stuff.

It's pretty clear who the South sides with. 150 years ago I (a liberal) would have been considered a "radical Republican."

Because the only thing that matters to you when you step into the voting booth is race? I mean, you are insinuating the people who didn't vote Obama did so because of race. I suppose it's safe to assume that of you.

I can't believe 60-minutes didn't "ax" the question (sorry, couldn't resist) about Reid when interviewing the author. Queue Burgold: no media liberal bias...

BTW, what is unique about this dialect from Southern? I'm pretty sure I've heard white people say "ax" in the South.

Didn't see the interview. It might have been dependent on when the piece was done. Most of 60 Minutes interviews are canned. Some sit for weeks.

Archived