Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW Ranks Def Coord's: McDermott #1

pointyfootball

Not sure I agree with that but that's where they have him ranked.

1. Sean McDermott / Eagles — Despite suffering some major injuries at middle linebacker and having to get by with long-in-the-tooth Jeremiah Trotter, the Eagles' defense has remained very formidable. SCOUT'S TAKE: "(McDermott) is a rising star, now. I think a lot of people expected the Eagles to fall off after (former defensive coordinator) Jimmy Johnson passed away, but this kid clearly paid attention. He was with Jimmy 10 years, sitting at the corner of the table eating crumbs and absorbing it all. In some ways — with how creatively he finds ways to bring pressure — I think he might be better than (Johnson). He's got a great feel (for play-calling)."

Follow the link for more: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/04/ranking-the-defensive-coordinators

Maybe because his PPG is so high compared to JJ, and because teams were able to crawl back into games after being down by more than two scores on a couple of occasions this year, I don't think he's that great. But maybe the LB problem and no safety for most of the year has partially tied his hands. I don't know.

Edit: After manhandling the Saints & Eagles, two of the highest scoring offenses in the league, Phillips deserves much higher rating, IMO. Hopefully he gives up 48 this weekend, but he's been very good so far.

Blache at 15?

He's the reason this defense doesn't make any plays.

I don't think a d coordinator misuses talent more than Blache.

I hope that's a joke.

As for this list, terrible, just terrible. Sean McDermott doesn't have any business being in the top slot. Not when you have guys like Nolan and Capers who both managed to turn around two truly God awful defenses in the matter of a single offseason.

Personally, if I was writing the list I would put Rex Ryan in the top spot, even though he is technically a head coach there is no question who is running that Jets defense. Final word on the Eagles, this is without question the softest Eagles defense I have seen in the Reid era.

I hope that's a joke.
Your joking, right? Blache ran a VERY vanilla 4-3 all season, mainly in a zone scheme. The base 4-3 cover 2 zone is extremely effective, if you can get to the quarterback with your 4 DL quickly. If not, the QB can simply pick you apart (see @NYG, @DET, PHI, @ATL, DEN, @PHI, NO, NYG, DAL, @SD). When we pressured the QB, our D did good. When we didn't, we got DESTROYED. Greg Blache was a major disappointment this season, regardless what the stats say.

Your joking, right? Blache ran a VERY vanilla 4-3 all season, mainly in a zone scheme. The base 4-3 cover 2 zone is extremely effective, if you can get to the quarterback with your 4 DL quickly. If not, the QB can simply pick you apart (see @NYG, @DET, PHI, @ATL, DEN, @PHI, NO, NYG, DAL, @SD). When we pressured the QB, our D did good. When we didn't, we got DESTROYED. Greg Blache was a major disappointment this season, regardless what the stats say.

You're talking to a Giants fan, I know a thing or two about a defensive coordinator who can misuse talent. Did Greg Blache ever have Albert Hayneworth drop into coverage to cover a teams TE? Because that's exactly what guys like Chris Canty, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Mathias Kiwanuka were asked to do at multiple points throughout the season.

How about playing a soft cover 2 when the Chargers were at the Giants 20 yard line with 30 seconds to play, when any coordinator with half a brain would have positioned his defense to defend the goal line instead? How about the fact that not a single Giants defensive player (outside of possibly Terrell Thomas) had what could be considered a good year? Not a single player. And this only a solitary year after the team had been a top 10 defense.

Did every single player suddenly forget how to play the game of football? No, I don't think so. I think Bill Sheridan was absolutely pathetic in putting his players in a position to succeed, and getting his players prepared for what they were going to see on game day. Not to mention all his other deficiencies, which include but are not limited to, lack of game time adjustments, awful play calling, and poorly designed blitzes.

I'm not arguing the point that Greg Blache had a bad season for the Redskins, but there is no question in my mind there was at least one defensive coordinator in the league worse at getting the most out of his players.

You're talking to a Giants fan, I know a thing or two about a defensive coordinator who can misuse talent. Did Greg Blache ever have Albert Hayneworth drop into coverage to cover a teams TE? Because that's exactly what guys like Chris Canty, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Mathias Kiwanuka were asked to do at multiple points throughout the season.

How about playing a soft cover 2 when the Chargers were at the Giants 20 yard line with 30 seconds to play, when any coordinator with half a brain would have positioned his defense to defend the goal line instead? How about the fact that not a single Giants defensive player (outside of possibly Terrell Thomas) had what could be considered a good year? Not a single player. And this only a solitary year after the team had been a top 10 defense.

Did every single player suddenly forget how to play the game of football? No, I don't think so. I think Bill Sheridan was absolutely pathetic in putting his players in a position to succeed, and getting his players prepared for what they were going to see on game day. Not to mention all his other deficiencies, which include but are not limited to, lack of game time adjustments, awful play calling, and poorly designed blitzes.

I'm not arguing the point that Greg Blache had a bad season for the Redskins, but there is no question in my mind there was at least one defensive coordinator in the league worse at getting the most out of his players.

such an interesting turn of events on extremeskins. Rival posters are now arguing who has the worse coaching staff. Who'd a thunk it?

Nope, but then again, your comparison is off. Canty, Tuck, Osi and Kiwi aren't tackles, Albert is.

He did, however continually drop Orakpo into coverage. And I love Rak... But the guy got turned around more times than I can count.

How about employing a defense where your defensive line is over aggressive and you play a soft tampa 2 behind it, leaving the entire middle of the field open on a regular basis?

Sounds to me like they were pretty damn similar.

Did the Skins allow more points than any other Skins team has in 40+ years?

Is that even relevent? The argument was Blache doesn't know how to use his players. Sounds like neither of them do.

But as long as we're diving off the coast of irrelevence...

What was the Giants record again? 4 wins better than ours. I can play the woe is me card with you guys all day long. It's a stupid, stupid game.

Nope, but then again, your comparison is off. Canty, Tuck, Osi and Kiwi aren't tackles, Albert is.

Chris Canty lined up almost exclusively at DT, so I think he qualifies. And both Tuck, and Kiwi spent significant time on the inside as well, but you're right, they are both technically DE's, both of whom should never be dropped into coverage with the like's of Antonio Gates, and Jason Witten. I also agree with the other point you raised about this being a dumb argument, but it's the offseason for both of us, there is more of this kind of pointless debating ahead.

One last thing, if the Giants had the Redskins offense we would not have won 4 games this season.

Canty played mostly tackle for NY, if I remember correctly. He's listed as one on their website and I'm pretty sure he was signed to play that position.

That doesn't make him a tackle. He's an End type player playing the role of tackle (not that he's not good at it... He is).

Albert is alot bigger than any of them. But what the hell are we arguing about this for? It's really quite irrelevent.

Is that even relevent? The argument was Blache doesn't know how to use his players. Sounds like neither of them do.
How is it not relevant? The Skins defense had some problems, and it ended up being fairly mediocre. The Giants defense was historically bad. Sheridan took a defense that was 5th in the league in 2008 with, for the most part, the same players and transformed them into the worst Giants defense (in terms of points allowed) of the Superbowl era.

Blache may not have always put your guys in the best position, but Sheridan's schemes were so bad that, with the exception of Terrell Thomas, virtually every player on the Giants D had one of the worst seasons of their career.

What was the Giants record again? 4 wins better than ours. I can play the woe is me card with you guys all day long. It's a stupid, stupid game.
Woe is me? I'm not sad at all. I'm overjoyed. Sheridan is gone! The Giants went 8-8 despite playing the worst defense they have in my lifetime. Eli had the best statistical season of his career with a WR corps that had 15 combined career starts going into the season. Things are already looking up for the Giants in 2010.

Archived