Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

P90X anyone?

NOLASKINSFAN

But for someone that's in decent shape that just wants to lose some pounds? It's money.

That's exactly it. Never seen a perfect, one-size fits all anything, let alone a training program. I'm not able to keep up with everything they do in the DVDs, but compared to the exercise program I was doing before [nothing], it's a great improvement.

• 2 years later...

Depends on what you're looking for. I've done both, and P90X is resistance training, flexability, and some cardio. Insanity is all cardio. (kick ass cardio too!) I just started another round of P90X2, if you'd like to start a little challenge group,, that might be fun.

That's too bad, kinggibbs. This January will be two years for me pretty much doing it continuosly. I've mixed in Insanity and X2 and done hybrids of all of them. I've taken a week off here and there, but pretty much have stuck to it. You should join us, if we can get this thing going.

That's too bad, kinggibbs. This January will be two years for me pretty much doing it continuosly. I've mixed in Insanity and X2 and done hybrids of all of them. I've taken a week off here and there, but pretty much have stuck to it. You should join us, if we can get this thing going.

Congrats on sticking to it. I like the concept, but I know me and I wouldn't stick to any home-based workout unless I was under house arrest.

I only have the original P90x, but I'd be down for a challenge group or whatever.

I'm 45, and I feel your pain. 2 years ago at my daughters B-day party at a pool, my brother (a trainer at a local gym) looked at me and said, "Dude, do some pushups or something!". That Christmas I got the P90X program and as I've said, have stuck with it, and I'm in the best shape of my life. The thing I love about it, is the variety of exercises and routines. To bad you didn't bring this up a couple days ago, they had P90X and others on sale at 25% off. If you're still interested, you can check it out through the link in my sig.

Basically, I need to work on my endurance and strength. I don't want to be big, just in shape and feel strong and fast.

I'm chubby and have never had a six pack in my life, I'm almost 40 and damn it, I want to look great.

It's a good program for people who just need to be told what routines to do rather then come up with their own. If you do the yoga, ab ripper, etc, by the end you'll have a good base of muscle built, and you'll be more flexible and agile then before you started. Can't stress enough how important diet is when your talking about losing weight or building muscle. I've lost weight doing p90x and ive lost weight just lifting 3-4 days a week on my own. Common denominator for both was my diet.

I have known A LOT of people that have bought this program. I have known NONE that have stuck to it.

It's getting close to that time of the year for an influx of those infommercials. New Years resolutioner's.

People are wired differently, but the attraction of doing 'exercise' as a sport in front of the TV has never been attractive to me. I've always been more interested in a particular sport and then adopting a training regime that's tailored for that. I like to run - it's easy, cheap and I can do it on my own schedule. And it includes appropriate training for speed, strength and flexibility so it's not just jogging.

The other thing that strikes me about programs that focus so much on intensity and intervals on a daily basis is that while rapid results come from high intensity, with it comes real risk of burnout and injury.

Yeah, I get that. I can only speak from my own experience of course, but I've never been one that really liked going to the gym, thats one reason an in home program appealed to me. As far as the injury thing goes, I've been at it for a couple years now, and other than sore muscles (which is a good thing) I've never had any injury doing P90X. Because you mix things up so much during the program, I think that helps you avoid injury rather than promote it.

Yeah, I get that. I can only speak from my own experience of course, but I've never been one that really liked going to the gym, thats one reason an in home program appealed to me. As far as the injury thing goes, I've been at it for a couple years now, and other than sore muscles (which is a good thing) I've never had any injury doing P90X. Because you mix things up so much during the program, I think that helps you avoid injury rather than promote it.

P90x puts a huge emphasis on stretching and flexibility as well. Which is key to preventing injury.

That'd be great, big#44. If we can get a group going, we just have to decide on a start date.

I am part of a group of people in Raleigh that is starting January 7th. We text each other when we are finished for the day. Anyone that misses a day throws a $1 into the group fund. Last one to do it each day throws $1 in also. At the end of 90 days we have a small party to celebrate. Did it this past June-August and it worked great. Lost a few people along the way but for the most part everybody made it to the end. We allowed the following changes:

For Cardio (Tuesday and Thursday) you could sub in a 5+ mile run. We have some people that do half marathons and they needed the option instead of plyo or kempo.

For Yoga you could sub in a 5+ mile run OR a sport. Some of us were part of a football group that played every Sat. for 2-3 hours.

If anyone on the board is interested in joining up with us just let me know.

Archived