Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about Cj Spiller?

Touch of Class 17

How important is a great running back in the NFL these days anyway? Of the top 5 RBs right now, you've got only one who's definitely going to the playoffs (Peterson), 2 maybes (Jones and Jones-Drew), and 2 (the top 2!) who will definitely be watching the playoffs from the couch (Johnson and Jackson). Contrast that with the importance of the QB (the most important position on the field) - the top 5 passers are all on winning teams, and are all going to the playoffs.

Meanwhile, with the exception of Minnesota, most of the other top teams don't have a 1000-yard back - look at Indy, NO, Philly, and San Diego. As the New England Super Bowl teams demonstrated, an elite-level RB is not necessary to be successful. I'd prefer a great/elite QB, a solid line, and merely an average or better back (or 2 or 3), in that order - I think that's a recipe for offensive success. An elite RB is clearly optional.

Agree with pretty much everything, but if your looking for an exception, a huge reason why Matt Schaub is going to be watching the playoffs on TV is because Houston's running game blows.

Tell that to the Vikings and Jaguars. He an excellent receiver as well.

The Vikings who begged for a veteran QB to come out of retirement to finally get deep into the playoffs, or the Jags who are 7-8 and likely will miss the post-season?

McD5 is right - the passing attack is where it's at.

Agree with pretty much everything, but if your looking for an exception, a huge reason why Matt Schaub is going to be watching the playoffs on TV is because Houston's running game blows.

You definitely have to be able to run, but recent history seems to suggest that you have to be able to pass even more.

I'd take CJ ater in the round if OKung was not available at #5. Trade down to #15 and get the extra pick. Use the traded down pick to take CJ and then use the additional pick for the OL as well as the 2nd round pick.

CJ will dramatically change the DC backfield and give you an option on kick returns. Speed will finally be something we have as a weapon in the backfield.

You could say it is a change of pace backfield now that you've added someone like CJ to the group.

But, of course, getting a OL to block will be needed.

As with any trend, there's going to be a few exceptions - teams like Chicago, Baltimore (pre-Flacco), Carolina, and recently Miami have had some success with strong defense and a run-based offense, but that's a hard formula to sustain for multiple seasons - running backs wear out too fast, especially these days, and it's just too easy to jam the box and shut down an elite back if he's the only real weapon. Just look at Peterson prior to Farve arriving - he could only carry Minny so far on his own. If there's one move that will make your team a contender for years on end, it's getting an elite QB. That's the only move that matters. Everything else is just Plan B.

Tell that to any of the SB winners from the past ten years.

What moron(besides Vinny and Dan) believes that having Chris Johnson means you are going to the Superbowl?

I hope not you.

How about Maurice Jones-Drew since you mentioned Jax? Frank Gore? Larry Johnson?

How have their teams done?

Building a team around a RB is literally, the single most ignorant thing you can possibly do.

They aren't important in the win/loss column.

Even going back to the run-happy 70s and early 80s, the most dominant running backs did NOT generally play for the most dominant teams. OJ Simpson's Bills only posted 2 winning seasons! The Dallass running was pretty much done by committee. Even Franco Harris was not the reason that Pittsburgh was so dominant. During the early 80s, Riggins was our primary back but many others out did him.

Even going back to the run-happy 70s and early 80s, the most dominant running backs did NOT generally play for the most dominant teams. OJ Simpson's Bills only posted 2 winning seasons! The Dallass running was pretty much done by committee. Even Franco Harris was not the reason that Pittsburgh was so dominant. During the early 80s, Riggins was our primary back but many others out did him.

It is ignorant.

Chris Johnson might go for 2000 yards!!!!!! Who cares?

The only people that care are FF owners, pro bowl fans, or people who post in the "what color uniforms are we wearing" threads.:hysterical:

It isn't how you win games. Pass on any RB in the first round.

Why take Spiller when you can get a guy like this late?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091229/SPORTS0601/912290351/Ex-Vol+hopes+to+find+way+into+NFL

Read the entire article, especially page 6 ( The Race Continues section ) before making knee jerk comments please.

:logo:

The race continues

In a second-floor room at the Coker family residence, there are three photos of LaMarcus scoring touchdowns at UT. In one, the closest defender is 20 yards behind him. There are two huge trophies Coker won in high school.

There is also a wall with goals — including three pictures of Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson, considered the NFL's fastest player.

In 2008, Johnson set an NFL Combine record by running the 40-yard dash in 4.24 seconds. At the East Coast Bowl in Petersburg, Va., last month, Coker ran the 40 in 4.28.

He looks at the pictures and smiles.

"If I saw Johnson on Second Avenue, I'd ask him to race me from one streetlight to another," Coker said, laughing.

And who would win?

"It would be close," he said.

Tell that to any of the SB winners from the past ten years.

What moron(besides Vinny and Dan) believes that having Chris Johnson means you are going to the Superbowl?

I hope not you.

How about Maurice Jones-Drew since you mentioned Jax? Frank Gore? Larry Johnson?

How have their teams done?

Building a team around a RB is literally, the single most ignorant thing you can possibly do.

They aren't important in the win/loss column.

This is why Shanahan's new oline and zone blocking scheme will make a guy like Anthony Alridge a pro bowler.;) We won't need Spiller.

I agree with the people who say "you don't build a team around a RB"

I also HUGELY agree that Ryan Williams is better and prolly top 3 in the country (VT Homer alert)

That said, I would love to be able to get Spiller if there was a way it didn't hurt our other needs, we'll have to see what happens with FAs and if we actually get any extra picks maybe...we don't need to build around a back but we do need a good back, and I'm sorry but I do not think we have one on our current roster.

Ultimately, I want Spiller, the dude is a beast, but if it comes at the cost of not filling other glaring holes...then sadly I would have to pass.

This is why Shanahan's new oline and zone blocking scheme will make a guy like Anthony Alridge a pro bowler.;) We won't need Spiller.

I really hope so. Shannys run scheme in Denver was top notch. Every rb he pullled in off the streets had 1000 yard seasons. Didn't Mike Anderson even have an 1000 yard season under Shanny? I know what you're thinking. Mike who right? Exactly my point. Dude isn't even in the NFL anymore.

I agree with the people who say "you don't build a team around a RB"

I also HUGELY agree that Ryan Williams is better and prolly top 3 in the country (VT Homer alert)

That said, I would love to be able to get Spiller if there was a way it didn't hurt our other needs, we'll have to see what happens with FAs and if we actually get any extra picks maybe...we don't need to build around a back but we do need a good back, and I'm sorry but I do not think we have one on our current roster.

Ultimately, I want Spiller, the dude is a beast, but if it comes at the cost of not filling other glaring holes...then sadly I would have to pass.

i personally think spiller is a bust. reggie bush did same things in college and never amounted to anything, and any coach in the nfl isnt gonna let there rb return kicks and be a full time rb, no team does that. im not real sold on many of the rbs this yr, spiller is injury prone. Best could be decent. But as it is you dont need a great rb to win championships. so im all for whatever makes this team better regardless of my opinions

Archived