Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about Cj Spiller?

Touch of Class 17

Spiller is a beast.

But, imo we need OL.

We could alway go with the backs we have behind a better OL and throw in a speed back in the later rounds.

Yea, after coming down to earth and seeing we do indeed only have 5 picks right now, sadly I'd have to pass on Spiller.

Wasn't Moreno suppose to be THE MAN and even better than Spiller coming out? Lets face it, an Adrian Peterson are far and few between.

The best COLLEGE running back in history was probably Reggie Bush, and we see how that turned out.

What does that really prove? For every story of success there is a story of failure.

But yea, no to Cj spiller =(

Like we were discussing in another thread, we are likely to have JC next year regardless of drafting a QB or not. He will likely be a RFA and I don't see any team giving up a pick to get him.

What does that really prove? For every story of success there is a story of failure.

But yea, no to Cj spiller =(

Like we were discussing in another thread, we are likely to have JC next year regardless of drafting a QB or not. He will likely be a RFA and I don't see any team giving up a pick to get him.

What it proves is that drafting a running back that high, doesn't typically yield the rewards. Not to mention that a stud running back does not win championships by any means. They are a luxury.

I'm a huge Spiller fan, I think he's the complete package as a RB. And the good part is, so few teams in the league badly need a RB so Spiller could easily slip into the 2nd round. The Chargers & Texans are the only teams I can think of. Here's a breakdown of every other team's RB situation:

Cowturds: Barber, Jones, & Choice; no way they take a RB with a high pick

Eagles: They don't run the ball much at all, and McCoy pretty much fits what Andy Reid does on offense. Plus they need D.

Giants: Jacobs & Bradshaw; Plus they badly need D

Vikings: All-Day, nuff said.

Lions: Badly need D, and Kevin Smith is developing into a great player

Bears: Forte has had a down season, but RB is hardly a major need for them.

Packers: Ryan Grant has been insane this year, and they badly need OL help.

Panthers: Williams & Stewart

Saints: Reggie Bush may not be back, but they still have Bell & Thomas plus they badly need help on D

Bucs: Cadillac Williams & Derrick Ward; they need help everywhere else

Falcons: Turner, Snelling, & Norwood

Cardinals: Hightower & Beanie Wells are a good enough combo. The Cards need defense.

Rams: Steven Jackson; A ton of holes to fill other than RB.

Seahawks: Julius Jones & Justin Forsett; Forsett has shown alot of ability, so this isn't a pressing need.

49ers: Frank Gore & Coffee; Not a pressing need.

Pats: Sammy Morris & L. Maroney; they badly need help on D, although RB is a possibility if Maroney gets into BB's doghouse.

Dolphins: Ricky Williams & Ronnie Brown; Ricky has said he'll retire after next year, but they have too many holes to take a RB early.

Jets: Jones has had a great season even though he's getting older, but Shonn Greene is the future.

Bills: Fred Jackson & Marshawn Lynch; The Bills have so many holes to fill I doubt RB is high on their list.

Bengals: Benson has had a breakout season, plus they have Larry Johnson & Bernard Scott. Their needs are on D.

Steelers: Parker & Mendenhall; they have holes on D.

Ravens: Ray Rice & McGahee; Rice has had a great season, so they're set at RB.

Browns: Looks like they've found a stud in Jerome Harrison, and with so many holes to fill I doubt they'd draft one high.

Colts: Joseph Addai, Chad Simpson, & Donald Brown; Brown was a 1st round pick and Addai is having a monster season.

Texans: Steve Slaton is coming off an injury, so they might draft one high, although they have major holes on D they have to fill.

Jags: MJD

Titans: Chris Johnson, nuff said. Titans need help on D.

Chargers: With LT getting older and Sproles not the answer, they might draft one high.

Raiders: McFadden, Bush, & Fargas; no way they draft another one high although don't put anything past Alice.

Chiefs: Looks like they have a stud in Jamal Charles. Plus they badly need help on D at pretty much every position.

Broncos: Moreno & Buckhalter; They used a 1st round pick on Moreno, I'm doubting they'll be taking one in the 1st or 2nd round in April although with those picks they got from the Bears, it's possible.

Looking at this list, I think we could easily get a RB in the 2nd round with stud potential.

I'd put the Lions and Seahawks right after the Chargers and Texans. Smith is a beast but he's going to be coming back from knee surgery and word is he's not even going to be ready to go for training camp next year. And are the Seahawks really that comfortable with Jones and Forsett? I don't see it.

I agree with your overall premise though.

If we cut Portis, drafted Spiller, and signed Lendale White, I'd be drooling all over myself. That'd be a sick thunder-lightning duo of our own. But the only way we can afford to take an RB as high as Spiller's gonna go is if we trade back and have something like 2 1sts and 2 or 3 2nds. If that was the case, I'd be all for drafting a Spiller/Gerhart/Best (whoever was the best RB left at around the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd).

Too bad Ingram isn't coming out this year-- I really like him.

Oh and I hope we keep Ganther around and give him a legitimate spot at winning the job again. They haven't been feeding it to him much and our OL hasn't given him much help (he had NOWHERE to go most of the Boys game) but he plays hard and looks like a tough runner. I'm still really curious about what that kid can do given a semi-decent OL and some time. Anyone else with me on this one?

I absolutely love CJ Spiller, who IMHO should be a late 1st to early 2nd, but teams become paranoid that they might not get him late and take him higher than he should be.

Also he is going to be very good in the NFL i have seen plenty of his games and i think he can be come a better B. Westbrook that can run between the tackles. He also fills the need of PR/KR.

But what about another RB. Demarco Murray from OK. Is he coming out this year? He is a very solid runner with good speed and power.

NO way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would rather try Lendale White in FRA. He doesnt have no miles on him yet, basically a goal line last year and didnt get any reps this year.

Yeah, lets get another Tennessee reject, that's the answer. We dont need another goal line RB, we have Ganther. We need a speed back.

And everyone talking this "teams are not built around RBs" crap. BREAKING NEWS, WE SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our offense is one of the worst Ive ever seen. We are a second away from being the dam Detroit Lions, and everyone has this uppity attitude. This offense needs ALL of the help it can get. We obviously need to address the o-line (which we are going to do), but we need a STUD RB, especially since our QB play is mediocre. I hope we draft a beast RB within the first 3 rounds of this years draft.

Why take Spiller when you can get a guy like this late?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091229/SPORTS0601/912290351/Ex-Vol+hopes+to+find+way+into+NFL

Read the entire article, especially page 6 ( The Race Continues section ) before making knee jerk comments please.

:logo:

The race continues

In a second-floor room at the Coker family residence, there are three photos of LaMarcus scoring touchdowns at UT. In one, the closest defender is 20 yards behind him. There are two huge trophies Coker won in high school.

There is also a wall with goals — including three pictures of Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson, considered the NFL's fastest player.

In 2008, Johnson set an NFL Combine record by running the 40-yard dash in 4.24 seconds. At the East Coast Bowl in Petersburg, Va., last month, Coker ran the 40 in 4.28.

He looks at the pictures and smiles.

"If I saw Johnson on Second Avenue, I'd ask him to race me from one streetlight to another," Coker said, laughing.

And who would win?

"It would be close," he said.

I remember LaMarcus Coker. Dude was an extreme beast for about half a season for Rocky Top. He's exactly the type of player you take a flyer on in the draft. Someone with first-round talent that you can get for a fifth-round pick.

Huly being a clemson fan, I have seen him plenty this year....

The kid is good.. plain and simple... think he will have a better nfl career than bush

I think he set some sort of all purpose yardage record... he could end up being a westbrook type of player.

what he said. ive seen every game cj has played in. he will be better than bush because in the last 20 games he has learned how to run between the tackles and push the pile, something bush has never been able to do. i figure he will be used like a mixture of sproles and bush...splitting out wide, receiver from the backfield, return man, but only a change of pace back to start with until he proves he can handle a load, thats what he had to do at clemson. a little of the reason he stayed his senior year to prove he could handle the load without james davis.

that said. i really dont want him here. he could be a good RB, he could be a great one. but with how snyder runs things, i dont want spiller coming here only to have his career screwed up by mismanagement or having him get hurt by having to dance around cuz he has no oline blocking. in clemsons opener last year against bama, we had basically an all freshman line starting and neither davis nor spiller could do anything. put spiller running behind our line and it will be the same thing, but at least he will still bring returning and receiving to the game. but id rather not have him unless all our front office crap is sorted out so he would be used properly.

plus he will likely go in the mid-last 1st. and we have more pressing needs, even if we do trade down.

Archived